House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

House Refugees And Get Extra Cash

In addition, in some local authorities, a cash incentive will be paid to any landlord who can rent a home to a Syrian refugee. The cash incentive rates in the London borough of Barnet are:
 For a 12 or 15 month tenancy with no break clauses = £2000 cash incentive  If a landlord or agent renews for a second year we will pay a renewal fee of £500  For a 24 month tenancy with no break clauses = £5000 cash incentive
This will vary from council to council – please ask yours whether they are considering the initiative.

https://www.refugees-welcome.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Citizens-UK-Housing-Resource.pdf

So we have millions on waiting lists for housing - yet we can magic up 20,000 for a group of people who have not spent a single penny in this country or worked for one minute.

I am living in a mental asylum.And I don't say that in jest. I honestly think this country is run by actual bona fide mental patients. I can't see any other explanation.

So we have millions on waiting lists for housing - yet we can magic up 20,000 for a group of people who have not spent a single penny in this country or worked for one minute.

I am living in a mental asylum.And I don't say that in jest. I honestly think this country is run by actual bona fide mental patients. I can't see any other explanation.

Yes.

They quoting a figure of 8k from central gov , falling over 3 years.

Thats fine as long as they fck off in 2 years time, otherwise we're stuck with a 60k benefit hole per year per family.

Give thd money to Jordan for 4 years. Or Turkey.

I am currently trying hard to get on one of those waiting lists of which you speak. Just getting onto the list is a mission in itself. Then if successful I will have to start the waiting. As you can imagine I am not wonderfully happy about someone from Syria jumping the queue.

I can't really complain though because it's my own fault, after I did help pay to blow up the country they are fleeing from.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/british-forces-air-strikes-in-iraq-monthly-list/raf-air-strikes-in-iraq-and-syria-february-2016

Can it really be ten years since I complained of that?

Oh, erm, I didn't quite. Ten years ago that trouble had yet to spill over into Syria.

Of course if you asked the government or the RAF they would say of course not sponsoring state terrorism, in reality they were righteously eliminating bad guys who were a threat to the UK. But who knows what is really the truth.

Regardless, flying around someone else's country blowing sheet up because you say you can, that's a pretty serious step.

They're refugees, what do you expect? That we make them live on the streets? I don't see any problem personally with people having higher priority for housing if they've lived in a war torn country and are genuine refugees. It's not something I'd want to trade for a higher priority on a waiting list for example.

Anyway, it's the politicians you have to blame for the fact that we have to give these handouts to 'landlords' in the first place.

Edited by spacedin

They're refugees, what do you expect? That we make them live on the streets? I don't see any problem personally with people having higher priority for housing if they've lived in a war torn country and are genuine refugees. It's not something I'd want to trade for a higher priority on a waiting list for example.

Anyway, it's the politicians you have to blame for the fact that we have to give these handouts to 'landlords' in the first place.

Sorry - what ?!

You think it's reasonable to give people not from this country preferential treatment ahead of those from here ?

I think I may become a migrant myself. I need to leave this lunatic asylum known as the UK.

How about all the British single males living on the streets because there's no housing available to them. If you don't check the right check boxes you have sod all chance of getting help, why the hell should refugees be given preference over the suffering of our own?

How about all the British single males living on the streets because there's no housing available to them. If you don't check the right check boxes you have sod all chance of getting help, why the hell should refugees be given preference over the suffering of our own?

There's no point debating with these people. They are literally mentally deficient. It beggars belief.

They're refugees, what do you expect? That we make them live on the streets?

How is that any worse than making our own citizens live on the streets ?.

My attitude is this: when we have provided housing, medical care and food for every single British citizen, I'm happy to start helping people from other countries.

In addition, in some local authorities, a cash incentive will be paid to any landlord who can rent a home to a Syrian refugee. The cash incentive rates in the London borough of Barnet are:

 For a 12 or 15 month tenancy with no break clauses = £2000 cash incentive  If a landlord or agent renews for a second year we will pay a renewal fee of £500  For a 24 month tenancy with no break clauses = £5000 cash incentive

This will vary from council to council – please ask yours whether they are considering the initiative.

https://www.refugees-welcome.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Citizens-UK-Housing-Resource.pdf

That's nice. So I, as a native, will now have to offer a cash bung of £000's or a much higher rent to enable me to compete for a scarce resource.

Do these people not think through the consequences of their daft ideas.

So we have millions on waiting lists for housing - yet we can magic up 20,000 for a group of people who have not spent a single penny in this country or worked for one minute.I am living in a mental asylum.And I don't say that in jest. I honestly think this country is run by actual bona fide mental patients. I can't see any other explanation.

The public sector is full of pie in the sky liberal do gooders who are strong on idealism but weak on competence,

They were epitomised for me by the Sunderland returning officer for the EU referendum - she was supposed to be impartial yet was almost in tears when she announced the big leave victory. Such contempt for the lower orders - and so busy worrying about every problem in the world without focusing on the problems our poor and elderly needing social care face here.

We have tens of thousands of British families in temporary accommodation. Why isn't this housing prioritised for them?

The answer to the Syrian refugee issue is to end the war there - and let Assad aided by the Russians regain control. Better a dictatorship with stability than ISIS and chaos. It's not to disperse the people of Syria permanently around the world.

Edited by MARTINX9

That's nice. So I, as a native, will now have to offer a cash bung of £000's or a much higher rent to enable me to compete for a scarce resource.

Do these people not think through the consequences of their daft ideas.

Well, it's hardly going to impact on our beloved leaders who can all claime the cost of a SECOND home curtesy of the tax payer so why would they care?

Syria is a civil war. One of thd few vonflicts nothing to do with the West for once.

The arab spring is less a blooming of democracy, and more down to dysfunctional muslim states encouraging a massive baby boom, for political and religous reasons, and having such a corrupt economy that they cannot absorb the Labour.

North african, ME and Pakustan populations have trebled in thd last 30 years.

Sorry - what ?!

You think it's reasonable to give people not from this country preferential treatment ahead of those from here ?

I think I may become a migrant myself. I need to leave this lunatic asylum known as the UK.

I said that genuine refugees should be given decent housing and if necessary, priority on housing lists. If people have genueinly fled war and we take them in, we should treat them humanely and house them properly.

I would rather we had decent housing provision instead of having to bump them up the housing register or give perverse incentives, to what for all we know could be btl slum lords.

As I said, I wouldn't want higher priority on a housing list in exchange for having fled a war zone because I value my life too much.

Edited by spacedin

The public sector is full of pie in the sky liberal do gooders who are strong on idealism but weak on competence,

They were epitomised for me by the Sunderland returning officer for the EU referendum - she was supposed to be impartial yet was almost in tears when she announced the big leave victory. Such contempt for the lower orders - and so busy worrying about every problem in the world without focusing on the problems our poor and elderly needing social care face here.

We have tens of thousands of British families in temporary accommodation. Why isn't this housing prioritised for them?

The answer to the Syrian refugee issue is to end the war there - and let Assad aided by the Russians regain control. Better a dictatorship with stability than ISIS and chaos. It's not to disperse the people of Syria permanently around the world.

We can debate what the answer to the conflict in Syria is as much as we like but if we agree to take in refugees, we should house them adequately.

It's a sad reflection of our society if that basically equates to a room in the homeless hostels or some dingy HMO. It's also such if we have to give incentives to slum lords to house them.

More broadly, there's a lot to be said about the supposed genuineness of some migrants who seek out life in the UK, if they are transitioning through countries where there is no war. But the 20,000 the UK has agreed to settle are being carefully selected from Syria itself, so they will definitely be genuine refugees.

Edited by spacedin

I said that genuine refugees should be given decent housing and if necessary, priority on housing lists. If people have genueinly fled war and we take them in, we should treat them humanely and house them properly.

I would rather we had decent housing provision instead of having to bump them up the housing register or give perverse incentives, to what for all we know could be btl slum lords.

As I said, I wouldn't want higher priority on a housing list in exchange for having fled a war zone because I value my life too much.

Refugees = priority housing.

Insane. Mental. Off your rocker. Etc..

Sorry - what ?!

If I'm not mistaken they've always had priority need on housing applications.

I won't bite in regards to the jibes about me being insane. They are quite personal to be honest and totally unnecessary.

Edited by spacedin

Our first duty must to be to house people who have contributed in some way to the country. Apparently there are around 9,000 ex service personnel homeless. Should they not be given priority?

Our first duty must to be to house people who have contributed in some way to the country. Apparently there are around 9,000 ex service personnel homeless. Should they not be given priority?

They should be given priority yes. To be honest, in some ways they have more in common with some refugees than the general population. A considerable proportion of ex-service personnel are traumatised and suffer from post traumatic stress disorder. Some would qualify for extra priority on that alone, not that they should have to.

Edited by spacedin

They should be given priority yes. To be honest, in some ways they have more in common with some refugees than the general population. A considerable proportion of ex-service personnel are traumatised and suffer from post traumatic stress disorder. Some would qualify for extra priority on that alone, not that they should have to.

But the country can't prioritise everyone or no one is a priority. It is too easy to say this, or that, group should receive priority treatment. There is a housing shortage, so some will get, others not. So, the question is, can (should) the country prioritise those who have not contributed over those that have? It's a moral and ethic decision and not one that should be made by MPs who will never have to face a moments hardship.

But the country can't prioritise everyone or no one is a priority. It is too easy to say this, or that, group should receive priority treatment. There is a housing shortage, so some will get, others not. So, the question is, can (should) the country prioritise those who have not contributed over those that have? It's a moral and ethic decision and not one that should be made by MPs who will never have to face a moments hardship.

How do you suggest refugees are housed? I am genuinely interested in your response/.