House Price Crash Forum

Annoying Websites That Think They've Being Clever...

Bruce Banner

HOLA441

....by tracing your IP and changing the language to suit.

I'm English and I speak English, so when I view an English (or American) website, I expect it to be in English not French or Spanish depending on where I happen to be at the time.

I'm fed up with having to fight it to try an get it to display English, often I have to use Google translate to translate an English website back to English..... rant over!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The websites that are vetting my passwords are annoying. Its only going to spread as well.

Wont approve a password unless its got uppercase, lowercase, 3 numbers, and at least 4 obscure symbols.

Just f$£ck off and let me use the password I use everywhere else.

HOLA445
HOLA446

The websites that are vetting my passwords are annoying. Its only going to spread as well.

Wont approve a password unless its got uppercase, lowercase, 3 numbers, and at least 4 obscure symbols.

Yup, they're really annoying. Rather than use a password that you can remember, they insist that you use a complicated one that you have to write down, thus making it less secure.

HMRC are even worse, they now make you look up something on a P60 or such like. If you don't have it you can't file your tax return.

HOLA447

That stupid caused by the EU arsey-popup saying they use cookies is a waste of time too.

Does anyone do anything other than ignore or close the bugger?

How many people think well if they use cookies I will not proceed or read their cookie policy.

HOLA448

Then there are the ones that, when you place an order, make you use the Post Office address thingy that starts with entering your postcode. At our last house it was wrong and most websites wouldn't allow manual correction. Consequently, delivery drivers would look for a flat rather than a house.

HOLA449

That stupid caused by the EU arsey-popup saying they use cookies is a waste of time too.

Does anyone do anything other than ignore or close the bugger?

How many people think well if they use cookies I will not proceed or read their cookie policy.

That law was put in place because of a lot of clever EU lobbying by big marketing companies.

They don't want you using a cookie manager which would limit their ability to track and monitor you. Cookie management plug-ins were just starting to take off, but the cookie law killed them dead. Nobody wants an annoying popup on every visit so people just accept every cookie.

It's a bad law which shows up the corruption at the heart of the EU.

HOLA4410

That law was put in place because of a lot of clever EU lobbying by big marketing companies.

They don't want you using a cookie manager which would limit their ability to track and monitor you. Cookie management plug-ins were just starting to take off, but the cookie law killed them dead. Nobody wants an annoying popup on every visit so people just accept every cookie.

It's a bad law which shows up the corruption at the heart of the EU.

I always make them go away by clicking the x at the top right corner rather than accept, don't know if it makes any difference.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

This.

Where there is a proper security concern, with cash or identity involved, I am.happy to have a complex password which I will store securely.

Where it is a site where I wouldn't care if my userid and password were posted on the home page then I want to use a simple one that I won't have to look up.

Some people think their site is way more important than it actually is.

HOLA4414

I'm English and I speak English, so when I view an English (or American) website, I expect it to be in English not French or Spanish depending on where I happen to be at the time.

I'm fed up with having to fight it to try an get it to display English, often I have to use Google translate to translate an English website back to English..... rant over!

Funny you mention Google, they are the worst offender. Because our company LAN exits in India I get Indian search results all the time.

HOLA4415

This.

Where there is a proper security concern, with cash or identity involved, I am.happy to have a complex password which I will store securely.

Where it is a site where I wouldn't care if my userid and password were posted on the home page then I want to use a simple one that I won't have to look up.

Some people think their site is way more important than it actually is.

I'm not that worried about bank passwords as money can only be truly withdrawn from my Barclays account which is protected by PIN Sentry. The worst anyone could do, if they hacked any of my other accounts, would be to transfer the money into my Barclays account.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

There's a right way to serve a multilingual website, and has been for over twenty years. You serve whatever language the user's browser requests. Or your best available match to the user's choices. To be user-friendly you might also allow manual override: useful for situations like a public access point used by many users, not all of whom prefer the same language.

It can be revealing to set your browser preferences to one or more non-english language, and see how many of your favourite websites serve what you ask for.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Then there's the ferry company that won't let you book a passage from France to England on their English Website, you have to use the their French Website to do that :rolleyes:.

Never mind, the French and Spanish probably won't let us in soon.

To tip. On Mother's day, buy the flowers through the American interflora sIte. Because the U.S. Mother's day is different they don't hit you with the 300% surcharge.

HOLA4422

To tip. On Mother's day, buy the flowers through the American interflora sIte. Because the U.S. Mother's day is different they don't hit you with the 300% surcharge.

For me going on Interflora.com redirects to the Interflora.co.uk (UK) site. Do you mean using a US proxy?

Archived