House Price Crash Forum

Climate Change: Cobblers Or A True Reality?

OnionTerror

HOLA441
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I voted neither. As an HPC OT bloke I do not waste much. I still like engines though, and I reckon 8 cylinders is just about right!

But exporting all your tat production to Beijing is not progress.

HOLA443

I voted cobblers.

Scientists can study Earth’s climate as far back as 800,000 years by drilling core samples from deep underneath the ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica. Detailed information on air temperature and CO2 levels is trapped in these specimens. Current polar records show an intimate connection between atmospheric carbon dioxide and temperature in the natural world. In essence, when one goes up, the other one follows.
There is, however, still a degree of uncertainty about which came first—a spike in temperature or CO2. Until now, the most comprehensive records to date on a major change in Earth’s climate came from the EPICA Dome C ice core on the Antarctic Plateau. The data, covering the end of the last ice age, between 20,000 and 10,000 years ago, show that CO2 levels could have lagged behind rising global temperatures by as much as 1,400 years. “The idea that there was a lag of CO2 behind temperature is something climate change skeptics pick on,” says Edward Brook of Oregon State University’s College of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences. “They say, ‘How could CO2 levels affect global temperature when you are telling me the temperature changed first?’”

Source :- http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ice-core-data-help-solve/

It get's hot, plants grow better and produce more CO2. Amazing.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I voted cobblers.

Source :- http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ice-core-data-help-solve/

It get's hot, plants grow better and produce more CO2. Amazing.

“They say, ‘How could CO2 levels affect global temperature when you are telling me the temperature changed first?’”

Brooke is clearly highlighting the lack of understanding or the deliberate obfuscation by skeptics

Solar input increases, Earth warms, CO2 rises, Earth warms more, ocean life changes, CO2 rises, Earth warms more. Solar input decreases, Earth cools, CO2 falls, Earth cools more, ocean life changes, CO2 falls, Earth cools more, Solar input increases, CO2 rises, rinse and repeat. Then, CO2 rises, Earth warms, ocean life changes, but it's different this time, now what, see ?

Groan, Why did I engage ? For my own sanity I'm putting this thread out of bounds.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I voted neither. As an HPC OT bloke I do not waste much. I still like engines though, and I reckon 8 cylinders is just about right!

But exporting all your tat production to Beijing is not progress.

just wait till combustion engines get replaced by turbines!

halfrauds will not be happy bunnies..so much less to go wrong!

thought this was cool though,take a look at this....apparently it does about 8000 miles to the gallon!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi_vaiJ0vLOAhXrDMAKHRhCDMIQtwIIMDAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DyT9XhQp-d0o&usg=AFQjCNGZbbux27zne6Quh0uyX_-ee3p2AQ

HOLA4410

That's been tried, Jay Leno was driving James May around in his turbine car from the 60s on his history of cars programme.

It was similar to a normal engine in performance, a little bit worse but that's because it was a new idea and standard engines have been endlessly refined.

It didn't gave any obvious advantages that I could see bar the novelty value of being

able to run it on a range of volatile fuels including perfume.

HOLA4411

I must say I have been rather disappointed at the scientific coverage over the past few years. You would think there were no other pollutants than carbon dioxide. The Government thought so, as they generally do not posess science qualifications. And Volkswagen seemed to think so too. So they cheated. :wacko:. What happened to the black footprint printed on every packet? That "drowning" rabbit advert was pulled pretty quickly. All very silly.

Anyway without any silly Government intervention, we all now have LED lighting, and flat TVs.

HOLA4412

The climate has always been changing.....why, we were under water once, the ice age...but people are not helping matters by the things they are doing to their world.... globally our only home is not being respected it is being used and abused. ;)

HOLA4413

I must say I have been rather disappointed at the scientific coverage over the past few years. You would think there were no other pollutants than carbon dioxide. The Government thought so, as they generally do not posess science qualifications. And Volkswagen seemed to think so too. So they cheated. :wacko:. What happened to the black footprint printed on every packet? That "drowning" rabbit advert was pulled pretty quickly. All very silly.

Anyway without any silly Government intervention, we all now have LED lighting, and flat TVs.

California are attempting to legislate against excessive cow farts...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/california-cow-fart-regulation-approved-by-lawmakers-1579429

HOLA4414

California are attempting to legislate against excessive cow farts...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/california-cow-fart-regulation-approved-by-lawmakers-1579429

That is very silly, but California is the silliest of the states. Methane might be more of a problem than CO2, but's always been there.

In a time before God invented people, there must have been millions of tons of farting meat, whether ants or dinosaurs. I really don't see what senators can do about bovine flatulence. Let's hope they have their Canute moment. :blink:

HOLA4415

That is very silly, but California is the silliest of the states. Methane might be more of a problem than CO2, but's always been there.

In a time before God invented people, there must have been millions of tons of farting meat, whether ants or dinosaurs. I really don't see what senators can do about bovine flatulence. Let's hope they have their Canute moment. :blink:

Farmers can adjust the feed, to reduce methane...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/getting-creative-cut-methane-cows

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/cattle-feed-additive-will-cut-methane-emissions-by-30/

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Cattle eat grass! I think putting some unpronouceable chemical in their dinner might have some unconsidered side effects. In fact I don't think this is wise. Just let them eat grass. They like it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I never understood the push for diesel even from a climate change perspective as whatever savings arising from Co2 emissions are cancelled out by NoX emissions. NoX group gases are much more potent global warming gases than Co2.

Climate change aside Diesel Particulate Matter is the 21st Century Asbestos - said that on here years ago before DPM was formally classified as a Carcinogen.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Cattle eat grass! I think putting some unpronouceable chemical in their dinner might have some unconsidered side effects. In fact I don't think this is wise. Just let them eat grass. They like it.

Its not chemicals - its good old natural Bacteria. It's a matter of switching from fermenting bacteria (CH4 producers) to Respiring Bacteria (Co2 producers)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I never understood the push for diesel even from a climate change perspective as whatever savings arising from Co2 emissions are cancelled out by NoX emissions. NoX group gases are much more potent global warming gases than Co2.

Climate change aside Diesel Particulate Matter is the 21st Century Asbestos - said that on here years ago before DPM was formally classified as a Carcinogen.

Possibly! I've never had a Diesel car. Friend of mine is actually an environment biologist, and doesn't want one either. He was saying this 20 years ago. I have no idea whether Nox does global warming, but it's not good to breathe. Also the soot particles might be dangerous.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

'Cattle eat grass'

A naive view of modern industrial agriculture!

Sadly you are right! They eat something called cow cake. What's the harm in chemicalling up? You won't get an "organic" certificate I guess?

Archived