House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So my hair continues to recede, to the point where pretty soon I'm going to have to either:

- get a hair transplant

- shave my head

- get a wig

Before we go any further, I know what the answer is. Just shave my bloody head and get on with my life. But in the interest of a light hearted Friday discussion, I pose this question:

Have any of you HPC-ers ever known a bloke who had a wig that looked real? i.e. most people wouldn't have guessed it's a wig?

I've literally spotted rugs from the other side of the street, but that was mostly because the blokes were older and had these thick heads of hair glued on. During my travels in the USA I've also seen several botched hair transplants - visible scars on the back of men's heads, and/or pube-like hairlines. Horrific.

Mate of mine told me a few years ago that he worked with a guy who wore a wig, and he never realized until the guy died, and had an open-casket funeral, without the wig!

Wigs are a thing of the past like launettes codpieces, and beauty spots.

I think I last spotted a wiggy in the 1980s. :wacko: The 60s had a lot to answer for.

I once knew a bloke who had had a transplant. It looked awful. Rather like a Cindy doll with the hair transplanted in clumps. He though I was really weird as I just could not stop staring at it. Don't do it

I once knew a bloke who had had a transplant. It looked awful. Rather like a Cindy doll with the hair transplanted in clumps. He though I was really weird as I just could not stop staring at it. Don't do it

Some of the transplants look amazing, in the past they were pluggy as you describe. However the blokes I saw in the US with the bad transplants were in their early 30's I'd guess, so would have had the transplants in the last 10 years, so it would appear they're still dodgy despite what the websites tell you.

Imagine a bald head, with pubic-like hairs in it at a similar density, or lower density, to pubic hairs. I think also because in a real hairline the hairs start thin and then get thicker as you go back, your eyes are drawn to this wall of uniform thick hair. It just doesn't look 'right'.

yeah, don't do a transplant. I saw a guy with two tuffs at the front. Wrong colour and looked like bog brush bristles.

There is an alternative to shaving it - go for the full on mad scientist look. Now in my mid forties, and hair starting to get a bit thin at the back. I will be going mad scientist once it has sufficiently disappeared.

Some wigs do look very good indeed. It's widely believed that Christopher Lee wore wigs since the 60s - and I like the fact he chose age appropriate ones (i.e. showing some thinning, right hair colour).

yeah, don't do a transplant. I saw a guy with two tuffs at the front. Wrong colour and looked like bog brush bristles.

There is an alternative to shaving it - go for the full on mad scientist look. Now in my mid forties, and hair starting to get a bit thin at the back. I will be going mad scientist once it has sufficiently disappeared.

Some wigs do look very good indeed. It's widely believed that Christopher Lee wore wigs since the 60s - and I like the fact he chose age appropriate ones (i.e. showing some thinning, right hair colour).

Well he certainly wore a wig in Lord of the Rings.

One of my mates commented he'd never seen a film with so many wigs in it. :blink:

I misread that, and thought you are a very bad Pin :blink:

The correct term is New Zealanders of natural descent, or Maoris. Dressed as Orcs. :unsure:

P

No I wasn't thinking of my classic blaxploitaion 1970s remastered collection.

As I've lost a bit of hair on top, I find it comes out the nose and ears, and bum crack. ;)

Michael Vaughan, Shane Warne and Graham Gooch are all recipients of the Rolls Royce of wigs a £10,000 Strand by Strand as company promoters.

I believe it is a tailor made surgically glued skull cap that is undetectable and made with matching real hair

Also your barber is Strand by Strand for reglueing and styling your own hair

..more cost.

On mobile could someone post pics of Goochie amd co for the benefit of the OP.

If I wasn't mean I might be tempted.

The other bad thing about transplants is that it basically means you can't ever clean shave your head - and I know a couple of blokes in their late 50's/early 60's who actually look younger with a clean shaved head than they would with white hair and/or 'the horseshoe'.

Apparently, Eddie Jordan has lots of wigs of different lengths to simulate growth.

I forgot about him!

Yes, he is wearing a wig. Bloody good one isn't it.

Shave the head all over with a Mach3 (2 passes)

Looks striking.

Chicks really dig it.

;)

This.

Chicks dig it because the look is a whole lot better than concealing hair loss which smacks of desperation and insecurity issues.

I went from 3 to 30 in no time at all.

That is a good point about transplants etc once you go down that route then the option of a clean shave all over is gone as it would reveal all the scars etc

Anyone seen hair tattooing? you basically have lots of black dots tattooed on your head to resemble a grade 1 look lol

A mate at work has shaved what hair he has left down to less than a millimetre and had the baldy bits tattooed with a stubble effect. No-one had noticed until he mentioned it and it is pretty convincing. The tattooing hurt like hell apparently.

Thankfully I still have a full head of hair at 51 years old, and hopefully it'll stay that way for a while yet.

XYY

Oh I actually have a funny story about this that I've just remembered.

There was a woman I met from a dating site who I was rather besotted with a few years back. I remember the first time I went to meet her checking my hair in the window of a shop - back then I had more than I do now but was still obviously in the initial stages of losing it. I remember being self consious about, among other things, my less than perfect hair.

Well after rejecting me and being single for a couple of years, that woman eventually found herself a boyfriend (she's friends with a friend of mine on Facebook) - and yes, he's completely bald. Like Bruce Willis bald, the kind where you shave down to the skin with a razor every morning.

So yeah, maybe hair doesn't matter as much as I'd thought ;)

Like Bruce Willis bald, the kind where you shave down to the skin with a razor every morning.

So yeah, maybe hair doesn't matter as much as I'd thought ;)

You get about 3 days out of it if you do 2 passes with Mach3 (with the grain then against)

FFS don't use a Bic though! lol

Try it can't hurt, go get a grade 0 down the barbers or cut as short as you can yourself if you have clippers, then foam up and run the razor all over.

You get a nice shine of indoor lighting.

I did the 'chick thing' and shaved my head after a breakup a few years ago.

Got lots of compliments from women and lots of attention, did my self esteem no end of good.

Met someone else while shaved. After a while she kept telling me she hated it short and preferred it longer. Never did believe her.

P

Sounds like She was trying to make you less fanciable to other women lol

As I've lost a bit of hair on top, I find it comes out the nose and ears, and bum crack. ;)

Maybe that is why transplants look so awful; it is being harvested from the wrong places as they are the only spots left