House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

September Is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month Across The World

Or any illness awareness month.

If you feel that anything is seriously wrong with you or your own do not take some doctor's or consultant's fob off but kick up a huge stink.

Some of these people are very good indeed, but others are absolute idiots. And you do not know which one you have got so you should never trust them unquestioningly.

Or any illness awareness month.

If you feel that anything is seriously wrong with you or your own do not take some doctor's or consultant's fob off but kick up a huge stink.

Some of these people are very good indeed, but others are absolute idiots. And you do not know which one you have got so you should never trust them unquestioningly.

Indeed. Persistence can be essential.

My friend's son has just finished three years of treatment. She persisted with various doctors and the local A&E and got told by the group practice manager that she was being a hysterical mother. Her son was being treated for cancer a few days later after she got another doctor at another A&E to look at him.

He's survived his treatment at ward 84 but they don't all.

I don't know how a parent who loses a child, especially one who they've watched grow up and bond with for 9 years, can carry on. How the hell do you find the strength.

I can't even begin to imagine the pain. I know you have to carry on and all that, and especially if you have other kids/family members who rely on you.

But I think the grief would probably drive you a bit mad. I admire anyone who has had the strength to carry on after that.

Apologies for that bleak statement on a Friday.

Tragic on an individual level, but also heartening on collective one. That cancer is now the biggest killer of children in the Western world is something to be celebrated in a way. Other diseases have been kicked into touch and your chances of making it out of childhood are far greater now than anytime in history.

I agree the persistence front though. I nearly didn't make it out of my early teens because it took two years to get a diagnosis and proper treatment.