House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Amazon Dash.... Stupid Or What?

Is it me, or are these Amazon Dash ordering buttons just plain ridiculous?

Stick it onto your washing machine, dishwasher, tissue cupboard, condom draw etc and when ever your are running low just press the button and Amazon will deliver more.

My questions would be:

1) How do I stop my toddler ordering things

2) How do I know I am getting a decent price.

3) How do I get special offers for other brands.

4) Can I be arsed to either wait in or collect it from the neighbours.

Kind of a solution without a problem.

All of your questions have answers (whether good or bad) from Amazon, but it fails the important one, which is 'people have managed these simple tasks for years and years without technology - why do they need help now?'

Stick it onto your washing machine, dishwasher, tissue cupboard, condom draw etc and when ever your are running low just press the button and Amazon will deliver more.

My questions would be:

You don't need to worry. You should be all trusting, of the corporates. They want the best for you :)

The point of the gimmicks like this and the drones delivering your parcels is to get the meeja and normal people talking about Amazon - this thread is proof that it works.

All of your questions have answers (whether good or bad) from Amazon, but it fails the important one, which is 'people have managed these simple tasks for years and years without technology - why do they need help now?'

There's an awful lot of technology around that fails to give a sensible answer to that question but people still lap it up anyway. We're in an age where things have to be as high-tech as possible for, erm, damned if I know, but they have to be.

My questions would be:

Husband read some bits out to me and their FAQ includes an anti-toddler thing where it only lets you order one thing a day.

Husband read some bits out to me and their FAQ includes an anti-toddler thing where it only lets you order one thing a day.

Could be a grand piano, or a Maserati? :blink:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is an "Amazon Dash"...?

I kind of hope that it's a euphemism for the sprint to the bog the morning after a dodgy chilli-con-carne in Brazil...

XYY

Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is an "Amazon Dash"...?

I kind of hope that it's a euphemism for the sprint to the bog the morning after a dodgy chilli-con-carne in Brazil...

XYY

You buy a branded button (e.g. Andrex or Durex) from Amazon and put it where you use/store the product so when you notice you're running low you press the button and then said product is shipped to you by Amazon. I assume that there is some set up for this on your Amazon account where you choose exactly what product and size you want them to send you.

You buy a branded button (e.g. Andrex or Durex) from Amazon and put it where you use/store the product so when you notice you're running low you press the button and then said product is shipped to you by Amazon. I assume that there is some set up for this on your Amazon account where you choose exactly what product and size you want them to send you.

Thank you for explaining Mr Time. I know your dad - Father Time - quite well...! ;)

Do they have a Fray Bentos pies button...?

XYY

Thank you for explaining Mr Time. I know your dad - Father Time - quite well...! ;)

Do they have a Fray Bentos pies button...?

XYY

That's Ms Time to you. There's no Fray Bentos pie button but that's probably a good thing.

The mental thing is that you have to pay for them, £4.99, they are literally making you buy the cash register.

If they were free or say £1 maybe it would not be so bad.

On a more serious note though, if I want something and can't be bothered to put much thought into maybe saving 50p, buying from a retailer I have never heard of, i just go to Amazon.

Also I am buying increasing amounts of 'dry goods' on the internet, rather than have to search in the shops for something specific and then have to lug home (I have no car)

I reckon Amazon have a great future ahead of them.

Also I am buying increasing amounts of 'dry goods' on the internet

Yeah, with you there mate.

I'm fond of Pot-Noodles too...

XYY

The mental thing is that you have to pay for them, £4.99, they are literally making you buy the cash register.

If they were free or say £1 maybe it would not be so bad.

On a more serious note though, if I want something and can't be bothered to put much thought into maybe saving 50p, buying from a retailer I have never heard of, i just go to Amazon.

Also I am buying increasing amounts of 'dry goods' on the internet, rather than have to search in the shops for something specific and then have to lug home (I have no car)

I reckon Amazon have a great future ahead of them.

You get the 4.99 back with the first order. Could work well with a drone delivery to a back garden.

You get the 4.99 back with the first order. Could work well with a drone delivery to a back garden.

Hmmm... Get home from pub... I want curry and chips, lager, 20 Benson and this month's club international..... Plop

They are an early version of the internet of things in my view. One of the promises of the internet of things was that your fridge would know when you were low on milk and give you a reminder when you walked past a shop to buy some or order it for you.

Dash is a bit of a kludge, but there are other uses for similar buttons. I've seen one where you press it if you see a pothole and your local councillor/MP gets tweeted with the location. I think London cycling campaign are doing something similar for near misses. Food wise, the earliest version of Dash I saw was from a pizza company, you pressed it and your favourite pizza would be delivered in 30 mins.

Like others, I would never trust Amazon as the fluctuations in price of their groceries (and usually always upwards) is horrific. I remember ordering some almond butter, and next time I went to order the price had more than doubled.

Amazon are not interested in the penny pinching misers found on HPC. They want the price insensitive customer who values customer service and convenience. That's where the profits are.

Drone delivery is barely more than a figment of Amazon marketing department's imagination. I'll be surprised if we see it in the next decade. Too many regulatory hurdles at the moment.

It's bad form to use the Durex Amazon Dash Button while you're actually using your last Durex.

Modern manners and all that.

It's bad form to use the Durex Amazon Dash Button while you're actually using your last Durex.

Modern manners and all that.

Yes, a gentleman does not shop on line whilst "doing the job"! :blink:

The Amazon delivery van blocking the small suburban road for 3 minutes (but with hazard lights on, so that's OK then) delivering a 4 pack of loo rolls that coud be purchased for cheaper at the local shop 2 minutes walk away. Thanks Amazon for solving a problem.