House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Plastic Gloves For Filling The Tank!

I'm used to getting my hands dirty, Crikey i cut a couple of trees down this afternoon and pulled up a few briars with my bare hands. Probably down as the forum wimp as I advocate 11 stone as being healthy...but hell do you really need gloves to fill up with petrol.

Ok smelt my hands after filling up a few minutes ago....no petrol detected. Just seems to me to be over the top. But will no doubt be in for some re-education on here. :wacko:

Well we seem to have managed without this skin reaction for a century or so. Now the gloves are provided the world and his wife are using them.

I'm sure the gloves have been there for years, I think that I remember thinking "what are they for" when I was a child.

I don't think that I've ever seen anyone using them.

Not so fussed about petrol but always use a towel or the disposable gloves for diesel. It stinks for a while and means your hands slip on the steering wheel afterwards. I tend towards paper towels as can then be used to wipe up any dribbles.

Alright for the forum truckers they can just wear leather rigger gloves and look manly.

Diesel stinks. It's all over the pump and I don't want it on me steering wheel. I wear gloves.

You must have a very unusual motorbike! :(

As others have said, the gloves are intended for people filling up with diesel. Ideally you don't want to get petrol on your hands, but it doesn't seem to splash much and any that gets on your hands or the pump quickly evaporates. Diesel OTOH does not evaporate and the pumps are nearly always a bit slimy. It smells, it makes your steering wheel slippery (and could possibly damage the surface), and prolonged skin contact with diesel (or any other type of mineral oil) can cause all manner of unpleasant skin complaints.

Oblivious....used to some years ago smoke a fag at the same time as filling the tank. :o

Edit to say: Not easy to do with plastic gloves on.

I`ve got a petrol motorbike and a diesel van.

I just have to remember 2 wheels good, 4 wheels bad. Not sure why though....

18 wheels for this forum!

I'm used to getting my hands dirty, Crikey i cut a couple of trees down this afternoon and pulled up a few briars with my bare hands. Probably down as the forum wimp as I advocate 11 stone as being healthy...but hell do you really need gloves to fill up with petrol.

Ok smelt my hands after filling up a few minutes ago....no petrol detected. Just seems to me to be over the top. But will no doubt be in for some re-education on here. :wacko:

are you honestly trying to tell me it's necessary to wear protective clothing/hazmat or nbc suit to go to the local BP and put a tenner's worth of petrol in the car?

perleaseee!!!...man up a bit.

latex gloves yes for stripping down a fuel system down to the bare bones and changing valves and hoses, not for a trip to the garage.

if you need them, you should learn to aim more carefully(might as well say protective clothing for public toilets if you can't shoot straight!)

I wear driving gloves just to look creepy! :blink:

Oblivious....used to some years ago smoke a fag at the same time as filling the tank. :o

Edit to say: Not easy to do with plastic gloves on.

Funny, I just saw a picture in what was my local paper back in Ireland of a guy who used to always have a fag in his mouth when filling cars with petrol at the pumps outside his shop. He must be high end oh 80s now, may be 90+.. Smoking ca'y be that bad for you.

Petrol? Isn't that what cars used to run on once?

Sometimes when it's been peeing it down I do wonder if a pair of thick non-conductive rubber gloves might be wise when "topping up" mine.

are you honestly trying to tell me it's necessary to wear protective clothing/hazmat or nbc suit to go to the local BP and put a tenner's worth of petrol in the car?

perleaseee!!!...man up a bit.

latex gloves yes for stripping down a fuel system down to the bare bones and changing valves and hoses, not for a trip to the garage.

if you need them, you should learn to aim more carefully(might as well say protective clothing for public toilets if you can't shoot straight!)

Nitrile gloves for car work.

Latex is for dentists and perverts.

You must have a very unusual motorbike! :(

I have a very unusual Kia oil-burner Mr Pin, especially after nearly 3 years of lugging the detritus of my gardening/lumberjacking efforts to the local recycling centre!

The Blackbird runs on the blood of inattentive drivers, and farts at the devil through the 4 into 1 Remus :P

Diesel OTOH does not evaporate and the pumps are nearly always a bit slimy. It smells, it makes your steering wheel slippery (and could possibly damage the surface), and prolonged skin contact with diesel (or any other type of mineral oil) can cause all manner of unpleasant skin complaints.

Diesel combustion occurs under compression, rather than by spark ignition. It's important to bear this in mind. It explains why sorts that frequent the ballet, opera and theatre use these gloves: a hall full of diesel-palmed applauders represents a serious explosion risk.

I just pull up at the pump and let Mrs XYY do the rest.

XYY

Yow dorty bastad! :(