House Price Crash Forum
aclwalker

B & Q's Idea For Saving Money In These Hard Times Is...?

Troubled DIY retailer B&Q (who have recently closed many stores as the MEW-funded DIY spree of the last 8 years dries up) have found an excellent way of saving money, I noticed today when buying, oh stuff.

Their idea isn't to provide a decent selection of their suppliers' lines.

It's not to promote themselves via enticing special offers.

It's to charge 5p per plastic bag. The woman on the till was embarassed about it and said that it's claimed it's to save the environment. She said "Aye right." before I could.

They should start with actually having stuff other than a million shades of paint, like CHOICE in plumbing, door locks, drill bits, etc.

Ensure there are no empty shelves.

Etc, etc.

But no, the best their top people can come up with is to save on the cost of plastic bags.

Homebase was even worse. No hacksaw blades at all in stock and pitiful selection of the other bits I was after. I even refused to buy the refuse bags (pun intended) I wanted in protest.

And they wonder why people buy off the Internet? I'm virtually being driven towards it by lack of range, lack of stock control and lack of plastic bags now!!

Edited by aclwalker

Plastic bags are made of oil, the price of oil has rocketed, and they have to pay a carbon tax. Plus each sale of a plastic bag is mostly profit.

So why can't they switch to

paper bags, which are carbon neutral?

ABB

Is there a large scale industry to produce cheap paper bags in this country?

Supposedly it takes a little more energy to produce paper bags than plastic, I think this might be ignoring the energy that might be released by burning the bag, I'm not sure.

http://www.grrn.org/resources/paper_plastic.html

Troubled DIY retailer B&Q (who have recently closed many stores as the MEW-funded DIY spree of the last 8 years dries up) have found an excellent way of saving money, I noticed today when buying, oh stuff.

It's to charge 5p per plastic bag. The woman on the till was embarassed about it and said that it's claimed it's to save the environment. She said "Aye right." before I could.

They should start with actually having stuff other than a million shades of paint, like CHOICE in plumbing, door locks, drill bits, etc.

Etc, etc.

But no, the best their top people can come up with is to save on the cost of plastic bags.

Homebase was even worse. No hacksaw blades at all in stock and pitiful selection of the other bits I was after. I even refused to buy the refuse bags (pun intended) I wanted in protest.

And they wonder why people buy off the Internet? I'm virtually being driven towards it by lack of range, lack of stock control and lack of plastic bags now!!

Etc, etc.

No Way ! What a cheap stunt. I can't believe they've stooped so low as to charge for a bag.

I don't know about you, but I've been shopping there regularly for the last 10 years and I mean regularly, sometimes daily, (3 house renovations worth) spent a fortune out of necessity and easy sunday opening but not once in that time have I ever been approached or asked if I'd like any assistance? Such an unfriendly store totally preoccupied with shelf stocktaking.

No custumer help or advice whatsoever.

That's MY B&Q rant.

It doesn´t take much forward planning to stick a couple of plastic bags in your jacket pocket. When I´m out in my thongs and bikini during the summer I might complain.

btp

Travins & Perkins or Jewsons ones would fit the bill :D

I remember shops used to charge for bags (or didn't provide them) pre-Maggie days. Seems that we may be headed back to the old days when the UK was characterized by a continuing employment problem, high prices compared with Europe, a huge deficit, sterling crises, generally grey mood and young people out of work and out of the running for a home of their own. What went wrong with Gordon's economic miracle?

Some of us are old enough - just! - to remember when everyone charged for plastic bags. Good thing it was too, as millions end up in landfill every year, take centuries to "rot" or whatever it is they do, and they're made from oil. Not to mention all the ones you see blowing around. I usually put one in my pocket when I'm going shopping.

As for the price of stuff, I wanted a camera case for my daughter's new Kodak (eBay bargain!). Went into Dixons, best I could find was £10, which I wasn't very happy about. Went to buy it and they wanted £13, turned out it was on the wrong rack. I said no way was I paying £13 for that, and walked out. Found a perfectly good bag in the Accessorize sale for £2.60. Sorted.

Best way of bringing about HPC, don't buy, or buy everything cheap somehow or other - every time you pick up a plastic bag it helps to keep the wheels of commerce rolling. Reusing a plastic bag is in a near-infinitesimally small way a contribution to HPC.

Modern plastic bags bio-degrade very effectively, I know because I stored some books in a Tesco bag, left it in my loft for some months and when I attempted to lift the bag it disintegrated into dust!!

Edited by FTB

It wouldn't be a bad idea if all shops were forced to do this.

Ireland has done this.

Very effectively too.

You get charged for plastic bags, or you can have paper bags for free.

People in the UK are very resistant to change IMO. <_<

I noticed Somerfield Supermarket had started using bio-degradable plastic carrier bags, they are still free too.

IMO, they should still charge for them to force comsumer re-use/ reduction.

good article in New Scientist in 2004, more recent one below - subscription needed for more info

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/earth/...625043.400.html

' They are the ultimate symbol of the throwaway, consumerist society. And with an estimated 30 billion of them circulating in Japan, the country has decided plastic shopping bags are a major problem. Its Ministry of the Environment announced plans on 13 June to introduce a bill to make shoppers pay for them.

And not a moment too soon. Japan churns out 460 million tonnes of waste annually, and much of it is incinerated, releasing harmful dioxins. A survey by Kyoto city showed that 10 per cent of its plastic waste comes from bags. Similar levies in Ireland and Taiwan have reduced plastic bag waste by 90 per cent and 69 per cent respectively (New Scientist, 11 September 2004, p 30).

Japan hopes the bill will help the country cut domestic waste and meet its Kyoto protocol commitment to cut greenhouse gas emissions. It has not yet decided how much plastic bags will cost.'

more detailed article - http://news.yehey.com/news3.asp?c=14&i=137270

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Etc, etc.

Doorlocks, drillbits, hacksaw blades and large refuse bags. What were you planning?

and where IS your landlord? I havn't seen him since the break in at his home.

PS. Why are you so upset that Homebase had no small plastic bags? Don't you realise people can suffocate if they get their head stuck in a bag?

Edited by Without_a_Paddle

Doorlocks, drillbits, hacksaw blades and large refuse bags. What were you planning?

PS. Why are you so upset that Homebase had no small plastic bags? Don't you realise people can suffocate if they get their head stuck in a bag?

Sounds like a shopping list to make the next reality show a live version of the gory vid game 'Manhunt'.

"Don't you realise people can suffocate if they get their head stuck in a bag?" Are you giving advice to Krustys boyfriend ?

:)

Around here their solution seems to be to close all the small stores and build new ones that are even bigger. Had a chat with the checkout operator to try and ascertain when the small B+Q at Cribbs (Bristol) will close and the new huge one open, she said they didn't tell the staff stuff like that because they are the biggest B+Q customers. :blink:

By that logic maybe the quickest way to save money is to actually take on more staff??

Around here their solution seems to be to close all the small stores and build new ones that are even bigger. Had a chat with the checkout operator to try and ascertain when the small B+Q at Cribbs (Bristol) will close and the new huge one open, she said they didn't tell the staff stuff like that because they are the biggest B+Q customers. :blink:

By that logic maybe the quickest way to save money is to actually take on more staff??

When I worked for Kingfisher, you got a 10% discount in their shops. With B&Q you got 20% so maybe that's why they spend so much?

NDL

To all those commenting about the environmental aspects of charging for bags, I agree. I actually don't have a problem with (blanket) charging for bags per se, except that I know it'll simply be another stealth tax under the guise of environmental concern.

My point was that it seems that B&Q are doing anything (petty) to save money. Anything, that is, but provide a decent service. Homebase was even worse (although their stores tend to be tidier). Something is far wrong with the management when they sell, for example, euro cylinders but don't sell the actual mortice lock to go with it.

LOL, very funny. I don't have a landlord, except maybe the bank, although we are probably more partners now. ;)

In case anyone is interested, I was intending to replace a lock cylinder (and possibly lock to go with it) and to put up a curtain rail (requires cutting).

The large refuse bags were for somebody else. Honest!