House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Broadband Speed

I have virgin broadband (fibre 150mb), but the speed check I just ran on my laptop says 25mb (on wifi) and 86mb (cable in to router).

The speed has been adequate for us up until now.... e.g. no major lag when watching tv.

1. Wanting to save a bit of money ... If I downgraded to a 75mb package, would that halve the speed that I get on wifi?

2. I use the standard router at the moment, but was wondering if I got a better router, would it speed up the wifi "speed" (if that's the right word)?

3. How much of the 150mb should I "see" at my end? Does it depend on how far from the exchange I am?

I think we're offered vast data rates these days. IMO you'd only need 50mbs if you've got a couple of you in the house simultaneously watching 4k TV.

In reality, the performance of the internet connection for most things is limited by how much data the server computers are willing to send your way, and how much data the link to the internet providers (at the exchange) is capable of carrying - or how much your internet providers are willing to let go your way.

These points are (IMO) more important than raw broadband speed once you get above about 10mbs.

My dad gets about 20-30 mbs at his house, but his general internet speeds are atrocious - I think it is because BT are rolling out fibre in the town and they are throttling everyone on copper to encourage people to trade up...

I don't see why getting a slower speed would affect your WiFi speed if you're still not going as low as you're getting over that. That'll probably be down to either the router or the receiving device, or the propagation conditions (did you measure it in the same room as the router?)

Still on ordinary ADSL for me. There's fibre to cabinet available but the way I think that the cable goes from the cabinet to my house is about a mile; the estimate I get is between 12 mbps and 30. I'd probably go for 30 but 12 doesn't seem worth paying more for (get 6 - 7 at present), and there seems no way of trialling it. Faster upload speeds would be more of a difference but I don't have much need for that.

I have virgin broadband (fibre 150mb), but the speed check I just ran on my laptop says 25mb (on wifi) and 86mb (cable in to router).

The speed has been adequate for us up until now.... e.g. no major lag when watching tv.

1. Wanting to save a bit of money ... If I downgraded to a 75mb package, would that halve the speed that I get on wifi?

2. I use the standard router at the moment, but was wondering if I got a better router, would it speed up the wifi "speed" (if that's the right word)?

3. How much of the 150mb should I "see" at my end? Does it depend on how far from the exchange I am?

1: No. The bottleneck is the wireless (as proved by your cable'd in speed).

2. Possibly you could, by getting dual band wireless etc. but you'd need to upgrade whatever is connecting to it to take advantage if it didn't already support the tech in the new router. 25mbit is probably perfectly fine on the laptop, if you need more you should probably cable in (large transfers from a NAS etc).

3. You will 'see' all 150Mbit to the next hop, however there will be bottlenecks/limitations on the bandwidth provided along the way. Try at 3am and you'd probably be able to get fairly close, try at 7pm and you'll be competing with 1000s of others for the finite resources available. As your on virgin cable you'll have COAX to a junction box and then Optical from there onwards to where ever Virgin host their equipment (iirc... this was how it worked when I had Blueyonder cable in 2001).

I used to work for a telecomms company, and the big fly in the 'ointment of speed' is contention, i.e. how many other users are competing for the bandwidth at any one time. When all my street's kids get in from school and start hitting facebook/youtube/instagram/skype/netflix, etc etc my home office connection slows to a crawl.

They did sell 'business' packages that had reserved bandwidth and restricted contention though (but v expensive).

Virgin superhub is rubbish. Put it on modem only mode and run a better wireless router off it, only£20 or as you don't need one with any built in modem. this should fix your wireless speeds. it did for me when I was on Virgin. And no getting lower Broadband speed should not affect your WiFi speed.

I currently have bottom end talktalk basic broadband at 4mbps but totally replaced their utterly terrible ADSL router with a good branded one and am happy with the reliability and speed is sufficient to stream several videos at once. The signal is fine, but the hardware talktalk provide, as per most other telecoms firms, is woeful.

Virgin superhub is rubbish. Put it on modem only mode and run a better wireless router off it, only£20 or as you don't need one with any built in modem. this should fix your wireless speeds. it did for me when I was on Virgin. And no getting lower Broadband speed should not affect your WiFi speed.

I currently have bottom end talktalk basic broadband at 4mbps but totally replaced their utterly terrible ADSL router with a good branded one and am happy with the reliability and speed is sufficient to stream several videos at once. The signal is fine, but the hardware talktalk provide, as per most other telecoms firms, is woeful.

Cheers. Talk Talk is £26 a month including line rental. That is £7 pm cheaper than Virgin, but they only guarantee 20mb ... i'll stick with virgin for now (150 mb) but get a better router.

I've just ordered an Asus AT-AC51U... judging by the spec and the reviews it should make a difference.

Cheers. Talk Talk is £26 a month including line rental. That is £7 pm cheaper than Virgin, but they only guarantee 20mb ... i'll stick with virgin for now (150 mb) but get a better router.

I've just ordered an Asus AT-AC51U... judging by the spec and the reviews it should make a difference.

That looks just the thing.

I personally think high broadband speed is overrated. However to properly use your Virgin cable speed then yes that improved hardware should do the trick.

Don't whatever you do go with Talk Talk! They honestly had the worst service, and customer service of any company I have ever used.

Totally agree. Ours kept falling over all the time. Modem mode with a router with DD-WRT installed is a huge improvement. I do like to fiddle so just a basic router would also do the job.

Talking of broadband, for a fibre to cabinet system does the modem still need to be plugged straight in to the master socket off a rather short cable? Mine is in the wrong room for that. For some daft reason the master socket is in the bedroom, don't want anything with flashing lights in there, and in any case the signal doesn't go through the solid stone wall to the room with my desktop in it very well. If I did go for more than standard ADSL I'd want the desktop connected via a wire, even though it'll still easily be within the speed I could get wirelessly.

I'm currently looking at improving my wifi signal, and my superhub is anything but. Would you mind giving an update when you get the new router? If it's good I'll get one myself, as I generally like ASUS stuff.

Don't whatever you do go with Talk Talk! They honestly had the worst service, and customer service of any company I have ever used.

I think that's just true of any company when it comes to a problem. I've had them all over the years, BT, Virgin, NTL, Sky. Now on Talk Talk, been fine for me, if there was ever a serious problem then I've no doubt the customer service would be terrible, however I'd have no confidence in any of the others either.

9/10 the problem with internet services is infrastructure and so the companies themselves have very little control and so of course the service sucks as there is pretty much nothing they can do.

I find my Virgin superhub to be entirely adequate.

Once I tried to use more than two or three wireless devices when I had a Virgin superhub, it became terrible. With talktalk's hub it struggled wth just one device. It was terrible++

As to the broadband signal itself, it has to conform to a minimum technical standard, presumably support effective error correction and a set maximum level of dropped packets. Otherwise it couldn't be called broadband. Therefore providing it works at all, even cheap broadband should be perfectly ok and only limited in stability by your own hardware at your end.

Also with customer service, I found Virgin would repair line faults inside 2 hours, but talktalk always take 2 days, usually exactly two days. But that latter number is in their contract, it's why it's cheap. But you have to play hard ball with them if not fixed in two days otherwise they'll just promise two days again and again forever. Straight to the telecoms ombudsman at the first opportunity. Moan publicly on their Facebook page, etc.

We must have 20 or more wireless hubs visible from my computer here. Of course the signal are crap. They are all competing for the same three channels. use something like "inSIDDer", to see the competing channels.

We must have 20 or more wireless hubs visible from my computer here. Of course the signal are crap. They are all competing for the same three channels. use something like "inSIDDer", to see the competing channels.

I think they multiplex in a channel on collisions. You should still get an ok bandwidth from experience with a decent router locked into a given channel chosen using a WiFi meter app like you describe, from experience. Also exploit 5ghz channels if you have that option for the odd device.

I think they multiplex in a channel on collisions. You should still get an ok bandwidth from experience with a decent router locked into a given channel chosen using a WiFi meter app like you describe, from experience. Also exploit 5ghz channels if you have that option for the odd device.

Yes my new router has 5Ghz. There's nobody on it, and my upstairs rather old laptop is connected on that. My rather newer posher laptop does not have 5GHz. I didn't think of it when I bought it.