House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Shopper Footfall Unexpectedly Down

So the immediate post-brexit surge was probably to do with everyone bringing forward purchases before the weakened sterling level was reflected in higher prices for imports? Who'd have thunk it!?

This is good news and has cheered me up. I love it when people 'stop buying stuff' because it really seems to worry the great and the good when the proles stop doing what they are meant to do - consume.

This is good news and has cheered me up. I love it when people 'stop buying stuff' because it really seems to worry the great and the good when the proles stop doing what they are meant to do - consume.

How you think. It's how I think.

For 10 years people have been trained to wait for the inevitable sale before buying things. Given that there are few sales on guess what is happening

Ive been on a career break for the last 2 years and as I've not been earning I've needed to be VERY economical, this involved buying no new clothes at all (apart from socks and boxers from Asda)

In that time I've kept hearing and reading about the wonders of low inflation meaning that clothing in particular is supposedly cheap/cheaper.

My career break ends next month so I need to buy a few clothes for work, so last week I went out to the usual shops I've bought from previously to purchase a few of these bargain price clothes... I was gobsmacked at the prices of things, at least 20% higher than they were 2 years ago.

So called low inflation really is a complete myth put out by tptb, the trouble is when people are just constantly consuming they don't notice the gradual sneaky inflation and shrinkflation of everyday stuff.

I think the government needs to step in to mitigate the effects of less sales

Interest free loans for 20% of the purchase price ought to help. May need to increase it to 40% if things are too expensive, mind.

I think the government needs to step in to mitigate the effects of less sales

Interest free loans for 20% of the purchase price ought to help. May need to increase it to 40% if things are too expensive, mind.

They can call it Help To Buy.

Ive been on a career break for the last 2 years and as I've not been earning I've needed to be VERY economical, this involved buying no new clothes at all (apart from socks and boxers from Asda)

In that time I've kept hearing and reading about the wonders of low inflation meaning that clothing in particular is supposedly cheap/cheaper.

My career break ends next month so I need to buy a few clothes for work, so last week I went out to the usual shops I've bought from previously to purchase a few of these bargain price clothes... I was gobsmacked at the prices of things, at least 20% higher than they were 2 years ago.

So called low inflation really is a complete myth put out by tptb, the trouble is when people are just constantly consuming they don't notice the gradual sneaky inflation and shrinkflation of everyday stuff.

Watch out that those new undies have not suffered 20% shrinkflation. It's a gov conspiracy to sterilise the masses .

;)

I'm completely fed up of stuff and I am currently doing everything possible to avoid it. My house is too small for any more of it and most of it is of such low quality, especially household furnishings that my old stuff is better. Have just repainted the kitchen and will be doing the hall/staircase with left over paint from the last repaint before the tins go rusty so haven't even needed to go to the DIY place this weekend.<p>As for clothes, purchases have to be considered carefully as too much of it is of such low quality as to be not worth purchasing even at the ridiculously low prices on offer.

Watch out that those new undies have not suffered 20% shrinkflation. It's a gov conspiracy to sterilise the masses .

;)

Funnily enough I did buy some boxers off ebay that were supposedly "Adult Large"... I'm not big, 5,8 and 32 inch waste but these boxers were so small they wouldn't have even fitted an 8 year old!

Funnily enough I did buy some boxers off ebay that were supposedly "Adult Large"... I'm not big, 5,8 and 32 inch waste but these boxers were so small they wouldn't have even fitted an 8 year old!

Maybe you've just got an enormous willy

I agree re so much cheap and free stuff about, why buy new?......could it be people are into buying more in the way of services than stuff? ;)

Too much information bro

Got 2 pairs of trousers at sainsburys for £12.50 each on Saturday. Nothing special but well stitched, decent material, fine for work.

Got 2 pairs of trousers at sainsburys for £12.50 each on Saturday. Nothing special but well stitched, decent material, fine for work.

Let's see how long they last before you start getting too excited.

I bought one pair of trousers from peacocks for £10 reduced from £16, they fitted me ok, weren't too tight, I wore them for the first time on Saturday and as soon as I bent over the material on the backside (note the actual material NOT the stitching) just ripped wide open!

I've either got razor sharp **** cheeks or they were made from the equivalent of tissue paper!

Let's see how long they last before you start getting too excited.

I bought one pair of trousers from peacocks for £10 reduced from £16, they fitted me ok, weren't too tight, I wore them for the first time on Saturday and as soon as I bent over the material on the backside (note the actual material NOT the stitching) just ripped wide open!

I've either got razor sharp **** cheeks or they were made from the equivalent of tissue paper!

Your next stop is the charity shop....win, win. ;)

Your next stop is the charity shop....win, win. ;)

If you are careful with your selection, there is often better quality to be had in a charity shop. I have a few 'vintage' suits that even after dry-cleaning and alteration worked out cheaper and looked about 100 times better than anything from Primark, Matalan etc.

If you are careful with your selection, there is often better quality to be had in a charity shop. I have a few 'vintage' suits that even after dry-cleaning and alteration worked out cheaper and looked about 100 times better than anything from Primark, Matalan etc.

If you are good with a needle or sewing machine you can pick up some excellent quality pure wool non itchy trousers, velvet jackets, leather items for very little......tweak them to fit. :)