House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Where Is This Please?

Google has let me down on this one It's the 90s TV series Strange, location shots start from about a minute in. I was interested in where it was filmed as it's a great series and, dependent upon distance, I might do a weekend visit.

Anybody who lives there will know it.

Also I found this [postcard in my loft.....

Where were the locations filmed for the pilot?

"A lot of it was in London. Jude’s hospital was really close to me originally, was in Crouch End, has moved to Greenwich! So I’m having to travel for that, but everybody else’s locations are at the end of my road. So every time I see location scenes I think, ‘Fantastic! Two minutes to work!’ Everybody else is at the end of my road, but I’m in Greenwich. But the gothic, shadowy stuff is predominantly North London, Highgate and that sort of area. I love being on location.

http://mjsimpson-films.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/interview-samantha-janus-2002.html

Could be Worcester. Apparently the series was filmed on location in Ealing Studios and North London. Could be Southwark but I doubt it.

Are you sure it is not Gloucester?

Yep, know it well. I used to eat my lunch in the cathedral cloister as featured in Harry Potter.

There are lawns around the cathedral but the cathedral is massive.

I was thinking maybe Lincoln as a later one has streets that look like a small town on a hill. Might be Worcester; I've been there a couple of times but couldn't visualize it.

Google has let me down on this one It's the 90s TV series Strange, location shots start from about a minute in. I was interested in where it was filmed as it's a great series and, dependent upon distance, I might do a weekend visit.

Anybody who lives there will know it.

Also I found this [postcard in my loft.....

That tower in the opening sequence looks very much like Gloucester Cathedral to me. Compare the windows, ornamentation above them and the four spires (if that's what their called)

Unless there is a duplicate, for example the church in Ottery St Mary is a prototype for Exeter Cathedral

the-tower-of-gloucester-cathedral-englan

Good grief - the BBC PR for this is shocking. They mention 'The X-Files' and 'Buffy' in virtually every release and just keeping mentioning them, seemingly hoping that the quality of those shows will rub off on their show. It's audience plunged and the show got cancelled.

http://rheaven.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/strange.html

I think the cathedral in the background on the opening credit is fake. Might upset the churchy people otherwise.

Seems to be based on Gloucester though and altered and chopped a bit.

The only cathedral in the UK with that tower is Gloucester. There are only a handful of cathedrals with similarlish towers which has houses and lawns nearby. Pretty sure it is Gloucester despite your protestations but I am happy to be proved wrong.

I'm not sure we should be encouraging you. Like yanks visiting Bampton. Very un-British. Have some self respect for god's sake.

I think the cathedral in the background on the opening credit is fake. Might upset the churchy people otherwise.

Seems to be based on Gloucester though and altered and chopped a bit.

Yes, I think the tower is definitely Gloucester but the foreground is somewhere else - probably somewhere in North London as per the BBC blurb about the filming locations.

A lot of Sherlock and Doctor Who is filmed in Swansea and Cardiff or London. In numerous episodes I have seen the actors, in a single scene, run from a Swansea location to a London one and then back to Cardiff or Swansea.

It probably is a college or private school in North London.

I'll look again at the long shots. I was thinking Rev Black's house, John Strange's. Neither of these is Gloucester.

Gloucesster cathedral and so the foreground may be from somewhere else as others have suggested as i can't make it fit.

GloucesterCathedral-eb16895aa_uxga.jpg

I think it's a Cathedral City somewhere in England.

A cheesy place?

Good grief - the BBC PR for this is shocking. They mention 'The X-Files' and 'Buffy' in virtually every release and just keeping mentioning them, seemingly hoping that the quality of those shows will rub off on their show. It's audience plunged and the show got cancelled.

http://rheaven.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/strange.html

Interesting read, thanks. Your Google skills are better than mine, googling "strange TV series" always used to give vast numbers of results but not what I wanted.

It was very good but had potential for a lot more, and as it says it ended with a lot unresolved.

I spent a bit of time last night looking through cathedral images, and I can't make the foreground buildings match the cathedral anywhere either. It must have been added as DEATH mentioned.

cathedral.jpg