House Price Crash Forum
Catch22

News Night Now Bbc2

Did I hear right that Poland has 20% unemployment.

Yes that's right Charlie.

For those who miss this very interesting program I think you can view it on the web for 24 hours after it's showing on TV via the Newsnight homepage.

Poles come to Crewe

Some very unhappy locals regards them [ the Poles] taking jobs on explotation wage. Germany and other EU countries are restricting them but not the UK. Good for the BTL brigade mind :rolleyes:

Yup, the place I work has started packing out the factory floor with these workers, they are all happy to work for minimum wage by the sounds of it. I don't understand how this works though, sure, £5 an hour (or whatever) may sound a decent wage when compared to Poland's rates, but they still have to live in the UK! They still need to have a roof over their head and eat...

So what?

So wage defaltion for manual workers in or near crewe.

That would p*ss me off anyway. But it's good for the econmy as a whole, Gordon told me.

Potential HPC causing event in itself.

Lose job, can't find another job, lose house.

Warned about this one a few times, hardly a peep from the media and now this. Wonder why the Germans didn't drop borders to uncontrolled economic migration? - well something lilke 17% unemployment in Frankfurt (just one example) due to existing job displacement in combination with a lacklustre economy will give you a clue.

The worker registration scheme has the no. of polish plumbers at 90! So even the figures being quoted are miles off the mark.

Surely all this is good for HPC. If the people with jobs are all polish workers who are going to go home in a couple of years once they have saved some money then who is going to be buying houses? Not the polish workers and not the unemployed locals either.

Wonder why it's acceptable to be against this type of immigration?

But it's borderline criminal to be against the usual ones from the middle east and africa

That's what I like about you, your nothing if not pedictable :rolleyes:

Needle its a news item which impacts on the economy and housing, least ways Newsnight must reckon so. Now if you have and issue with that or more so maybe the fact I've posted it, lets be having it.

But may I suggest before you do, best you research my stance on what I suspect is your prejudged misconception for me posting this thread.

Edited by Catch22

But it's borderline criminal to be against the usual ones from the middle east and africa

Never said I was, merely made a statement and asked a valid question, how can they work so cheap and yet still have to pay UK prices to live.

Of course £5 an hour (or less, yes lots will be working in the black economy at even lower rates) will not buy anything here other than a subsitence lifestyle until the money is repatriated where it will buy a hell of a lot more. Some will stay but the overall consequence will be less tax, less economic churn.

Another side-effect - trades people that see there income droppping will do one of two things, give up and go on the dole if there rates get really hammered or say stuff it and join the balck economy themselves. Again less tax. Gordon could be in for quite a shock.

Edited by OnlyMe

That's what I like about you, your nothing if not pedictable :rolleyes:

Needle its a news item which impacts on the economy and housing, least ways Newsnight must reckon so. Now if you have and issue with that or more so maybe the fact I've posted it, lets be having it.

But may I suggest before you do, best you research my stance on what I suspect is your prejudged misconception for me posting this thread.

It's just an interesting double standard

Yup, the place I work has started packing out the factory floor with these workers, they are all happy to work for minimum wage by the sounds of it. I don't understand how this works though, sure, £5 an hour (or whatever) may sound a decent wage when compared to Poland's rates, but they still have to live in the UK! They still need to have a roof over their head and eat...

Live in a tin shack, work 60 hours a week for 5 months at a time then go home for a month for a break. Spend very little whilst working, partly due to working long hours. Pay cash to buy a house after three years, then do one more year to have seed funds to look for a job or start a business at home.

I think the example above could apply to Mexicans in the US, Poles in the UK, North Africans in France and countless others around the world who are benefitting from exchange rate, fiscal and earning power differences. The specific example I am referring to is some British guys I met in Nigeria. Most had Phd's (but despite all this education didn't learn the local language!)

It's just an interesting double standard

I like that, you put words into other peoples mouths by implying they are against Polish immigration when the poster had made no such statement. Then you gone on to attempt to debate a lie of your own making

I suspect your unhealthy obsession with peoples from the Middle East and Africa is more to do with skin tone than anything else. And for that very reason I don't wish to debate your obsessions because I find you .....well I reckon you get the picture :ph34r:

Catch - ok, I think you got me wrong.

I was expecting (yet another) rant against immigrants.

If I wasnt clear - I apologise.

And no, I dont have any issues with you or anyone on the board.

So lets wipe the slate clean and start again.

I'll continue with little story -

I recently began a small hi-tech startup.

It was spun out of University research departments.

I can find nobody from the UK/Ireland who can assist me with this at a reasonable price.

They all seem to think they are gods gift - believe me they are not.

I then met a polish barman who was working 2 jobs.

Turned out he had all the requisite skills and a load of mates with same.

He now earns the same as potential UK employees would have earned (a high salary).

He is worth it for one reason alone - this guy and his mates are demons for work.

They want work, they enjoy work and the quality and attention to detail is astounding.

They are pleasant, very hard working, honest, can follow instructions and are a great group of lads.

We need more of them.

In what sense is it "borderline criminal" to be against immigration from the middle east and africa?

frugalista

Catch - ok, I think you got me wrong.

I was expecting (yet another) rant against immigrants.

If I wasnt clear - I apologise.

And no, I dont have any issues with you or anyone on the board.

So lets wipe the slate clean and start again.

I'll continue with little story -

I recently began a small hi-tech startup.

It was spun out of University research departments.

I can find nobody from the UK/Ireland who can assist me with this at a reasonable price.

They all seem to think they are gods gift - believe me they are not.

I then met a polish barman who was working 2 jobs.

Turned out he had all the requisite skills and a load of mates with same.

He now earns the same as potential UK employees would have earned (a high salary).

He is worth it for one reason alone - this guy and his mates are demons for work.

They want work, they enjoy work and the quality and attention to detail is astounding.

They are pleasant, very hard working, honest, can follow instructions and are a great group of lads.

We need more of them.

I see a bit of a contradication there - you say you can't find UK people to assist you at 'reasonable price'.

- but you say that the immigrants are earning the same as a uk employee would (who you have already said wont work for your 'reasonable price')

- it seem that your definition of reasonable price is not that of the local population.

I'm not knocking you for it - we're all out to make a living.

I have no doubt company directors benefit hugely from immigration - probably not so much a factory worker in Crewe though.

That would p*ss me off anyway. But it's good for the econmy as a whole, Gordon told me.

Isn’t this the whole basis of our new globalized economies. Globalization is why swampy and his eco anti global terrorist gang smash up your local branch of McDonalds.

You can’t have it both ways. Complaining against the movement of labor in globalized economy smacks of racism in my eyes. We have voted for this so stop complaining. So what if a few poles come here. If you don’t like vote BNP.

Since we let this lot in why do we not allow Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians and Americans in? They would be more useful to the British economy than random East Europeans, and if we were to negotiate bi-lateral free movement of labour that would mean that British people had somewhere good to go too.

I hear that it is very difficult to get a good job in Europe due to the language issues, whereas that would not be a problem in the above counties.

BTW

My mother just rented out one of her flats to a Latvian, he said he liked the place because there were jobs.

many studies in different countries have shown this kind of immigration is detrimental to native lower paid workers even though it benefits the economy as a whole...............What bargaining power burger flippers in places like Crewe had before has evaporated in the past 18 months................

Edited by Michael

I think this is good news. Until Brits at all levels realise the world's changing and we need to step up a gear, whatever our jobs*, then this country's going nowhere other than downhill slowly. Hopefully we'll collectively learn something from the hard working Poles who are prepared to roll up their sleeves and get stuck in rather than working out whether they can sneak in an extra fag break before their unofficial pre-fag break, fag break.

Andrew McP

*We're all part of UK PLC, no matter where we are in the financial or social pecking order.

*We're all part of UK PLC, no matter where we are in the financial or social pecking order.

this is correct

unfortunately, many people have realised that rewards dont generlaly go to those who do the work etc.

a lot of people have learned to play the system and realised that you can get an easy meal ticket if you can get yourself into the right place.

this is equally true of the public and private sector.

it is only when the sh1t hits the fan are organisations forced to begin confronting this.