House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyguy

Gcse Maths Resit

Today r4 any answer.

Jesus fcking christ. Deluded scrappers!

Mum complainging her little flower has been unable to pas after 4 attemots but us now finally able to go to Uni.

Another hoing about her kid not veing able to pass and that travel and tourism degree is not a soft subject. no its a made up subject fffs.

If you cant get a gcse maths pass by 18 your academic career should stop dead.

Some otherwise perfectly intelligent people just can't do maths but would do very well in a language based degree. On the whole though I agree with you - the vast majority of people who can't pass a maths GCSE are just thick.

Today r4 any answer.

Jesus fcking christ. Deluded scrappers!

Mum complainging her little flower has been unable to pas after 4 attemots but us now finally able to go to Uni.

Another hoing about her kid not veing able to pass and that travel and tourism degree is not a soft subject. no its a made up subject fffs.

If you cant get a gcse maths pass by 18 your academic career should stop dead.

Ah but everyone is a success story and no one is allowed to fail within our great educational institution. It does not look good in the league tables.

Some otherwise perfectly intelligent people just can't do maths but would do very well in a language based degree. On the whole though I agree with you - the vast majority of people who can't pass a maths GCSE are just thick.

Its not pure maths.

Really, if 11 years of education does not result in maths pass....

I got maths OK but I couldn't scrape English despite being one.That would have been bad.

What's an attemot?

Its a typo, or tappo to more exact. My tablet is a twt.

I cn almost touch tuoe. This foes not work well as the tabletss debouncing is crap.

Its not pure maths.

Really, if 11 years of education does not result in maths pass....

Slippery slope there. Not much of a jump to then saying everyone should pass and the to everyone passing it does not mean that people are getting better at maths.

The real reason that GCSE results are down (and I'm surprised a levels are not also down - must have norm referenced the results) is one of Gove's legacies in that they are moving the system away from modular, lots or resits of individual modules, to linear, one exam at end of year. About the only decision he made that I wholeheartedly agreed with

Its a typo, or tappo to more exact. My tablet is a twt.

I cn almost touch tuoe. This foes not work well as the tabletss debouncing is crap.

This must the the "progress" my dad was in favour of!

I thought the new rule was that everyone had to achieve a C in Eng Lang & Maths, not just the uni entrants. Which is setting the bar far too high IMO, literacy and numeracy is all most people require.

A mate who went to get a decent degree in engineering IIRC and then a PhD could have taken Eng Lang twice a year for twenty Yeats and not passed it. He scraped in by doing the coursework heavy CSE and got a grade 1 which is equivalent.

Most people on here would find these exams a breeze but lots do struggle with them; we all have different talents and a country of highly qualified but impractical academics would collapse.

I thought of this when watching the minimum wage job programme this week; those jobs are bloody hard and I would struggle to do several of them.

I thought the new rule was that everyone had to achieve a C in Eng Lang & Maths, not just the uni entrants. Which is setting the bar far too high IMO, literacy and numeracy is all most people require.

A mate who went to get a decent degree in engineering IIRC and then a PhD could have taken Eng Lang twice a year for twenty Yeats and not passed it. He scraped in by doing the coursework heavy CSE and got a grade 1 which is equivalent.

Most people on here would find these exams a breeze but lots do struggle with them; we all have different talents and a country of highly qualified but impractical academics would collapse.

I thought of this when watching the minimum wage job programme this week; those jobs are bloody hard and I would struggle to do several of them.

That's like me Frank. :wacko: I can read books, but I don't write them. That's a bit of a hurdle for people that don't think like that!

Not sure. I dont think a gcse c or higher is a large hurdle.

Not achieving either would point to someone whos not literate or numerate.

My bitch is about people wanting to go to Uni without either.

I think we should insist on AS maths pass before letting prople go to Uni. Itll be a good filter.

That's like me Frank. :wacko: I can read books, but I don't write them. That's a bit of a hurdle for people that don't think like that!

But you're a good engineer.

There are too many arts graduates running education. And I can say this because I am an arts graduate.

At least that obsession with forcing kids to learn an arbitrary foreign language has gone quiet.

There are too many arts graduates running education. And I can say this because I am an arts graduate.

At least that obsession with forcing kids to learn an arbitrary foreign language has gone quiet.

Should teach UK kids Spanish. Any other language is useless outside of Europe.

Most things I have contributed to, do not explode. Don't be too worried, as most of the clever b8rstards I have met had English or Philosphy degrees, and I can keep pace with them!

Maths is difficult for lots of children because so many teachers, particularly at primary school level, have a poor grasp of it themselves.

Ansolutelty Mt Tripod :(

This may be an old fashioned view but from memory most of the pupils I recall failing O level English and Maths at schools did so for the very simple reason that they did not work hard enough at the subject. Being a duffer at Maths I flunked every exam in the subject at school including my mock O level but then put in six months of solid graft including working through old papers so that I passed the final O level at the first attempt. It did not require genius or talent (neither of which I possess) just application and persistence. That discovery rather than the result of the O levels was one of the better lessons I learnt at school. Most achievement is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration but most people want it to be the other way round.

Maths is difficult for lots of children because so many teachers, particularly at primary school level, have a poor grasp of it themselves.

Amen to that. But I find this true of any subject. Primary school teachers appear to not know anything about anything.

Amen to that. But I find this true of any subject. Primary school teachers appear to not know anything about anything.

After spending a lot of time, socially, with primary school teachers, the first thing I would do is insist they all sit maths and english gcses. And pass.

Most are as numerate as a 7 yo.