House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

White Working Class?

Theresa May is launching a review of inequality but, for a change, is including white people in it. White working class that is.

So how do you identify working class then? From a household with an income below a certain level presumably. And then you have created a whole new subclass: the certified poor.

Maybe they'll get a certificate to wave at potential employers keen to fill their diversity and equality quotas.

Will they sit separately in classes at school, or maybe have to wear a badge?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37194207

Theresa May is launching a review of inequality but, for a change, is including white people in it. White working class that is.

So how do you identify working class then? From a household with an income below a certain level presumably. And then you have created a whole new subclass: the certified poor.

Maybe they'll get a certificate to wave at potential employers keen to fill their diversity and equality quotas.

Will they sit separately in classes at school, or maybe have to wear a badge?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37194207

Good question Frank. For me, it is not about money, wealth or occupation. For example there are very middle class. People who appear to live in poverty and some (wtc help) who appear to be working class but spunk money at an alarming rate. More, it is about attitude and values and how you identify yourself

The money spent on london schools is inredible.

Even more incredible when you realise 40%+ are non British.

Even more inredible when you consider 50%+ are on benefits!

The spend/pupil is almost half that along the Yorkshire coast. And, no, its not due to smaler schools.

Its racist to recognise racial trends.

Yet the people who accuse others of being racist, delight in seeing racial trends.

Go figure

I don't think I have much African ancestry, and I have a job. Does that count? :blink:

People are individuals, but it's much nicer for Governments if thay can give you an arbitrary label, as the Belgians did in Rwanda

Lots of people identify as working class these days. Even (especially) Tamsin and Tarquin, from the Northern powerhouse industrial towns of Altrincham, Prestwich, and Hebden Bridge.

It's a state of mind...and a tick in the right box on the ballet paper ;)

P

Why Paul Jesus, you have become cynical! And I agree.

Maybe "white working class" is a way of saying people who didn't go to private school.

I think the majority of top civil servants, judges, journalists, mps, etc are all privately educated.

That's the scandal rather than "race".

Its not fair to assume one isnt white working class just because one has had a private education, one has a large sports car and loadsa money...Its just not fair.

One more wrong to make a ... erm ... mess.

Our society can go on identifying ever more "disadvantaged groups" and Doing Something. Thus discriminating directly against someone else. That's precisely where the "white working class" as a group to worry about came from.

The Precariat who don't fall into any of the identified groups can pay.

Maybe "white working class" is a way of saying people who didn't go to private school.

I think the majority of top civil servants, judges, journalists, mps, etc are all privately educated.

I can't imagine people like that would want to talk to me at the local hunt/ball.

I certainly know a few people that went to boarding schools, and they are probably less related to the Queen than I am. I am a bit German you know. :mellow:

That might be closer to fairness than anything they'd actually do - though still ineffectual.

But they can't. They can only ever Do Something for a relatively small group, never for a majority. It's gesture politics.

That might be closer to fairness than anything they'd actually do - though still ineffectual.

But they can't. They can only ever Do Something for a relatively small group, never for a majority. It's gesture politics.

The answer to that, is minorities, are by definition are smaller. It's easier to help disabled Welsh Arabs, than most of the population that you have f8cked over, so Lord Whatsisname can have another palace in some tax haven.

Yes, and exactly the reason why the politicians are willing to let (or encourage) race relations to be thrown under a bus. The real was to be fought is the class war. The establishment V the people. When someone is killed by a policeman we shouldn't see a black man being killed, we should see a human being murdered by the establishment.

One other thing - I wish people would stop using the word 'chav'. For me it's offensive and has the same connotations as '******' - it's a derogatory term for poor white people.

Yes, and exactly the reason why the politicians are willing to let (or encourage) race relations to be thrown under a bus. The real was to be fought is the class war. The establishment V the people. When someone is killed by a policeman we shouldn't see a black man being killed, we should see a human being murdered by the establishment.

One other thing - I wish people would stop using the word 'chav'. For me it's offensive and has the same connotations as '******' - it's a derogatory term for poor white people.

I too disapprove of the word "chav". :wacko: It's looking down at people with even less than you. And black people. Dress smart and you don't get pulled over. Hoodies and trainers are just way gone. :(

Our grim reapers need to get their story straight.

The money spent on london schools is inredible.

Even more incredible when you realise 40%+ are non British.

Even more inredible when you consider 50%+ are on benefits!

The spend/pupil is almost half that along the Yorkshire coast. And, no, its not due to smaler schools.

vs

I tend towards spyguy's views here.

DEATH is fighting yesteryear's war.

Blair's children were all educated in the state sector. And they managed to select one of the best schools in that sector by virtue of being in the right catchment area. Nowadays that requires wealth (to buy in the right area) and THAT is today's story. The rich can afford a good education for their children, and get it, without having to pay for it.

I was privately educated. My parents decided to sacrifice the big house for my education. While other parents went on foreign hols in hotels, my parents sat with me and my bro in a tent in overcast Britain. I remember standing with them at the bottom of a funicular railway on just such a holiday, as they fretted over whether they should buy us all the ride. We decided to do something else.

And for my part I had to sit entrance exams. And when I left that school, I was the only one in my year that made it to Oxbridge.

I'm guessing Mr DEATH would have me apologize for my education before being handicapped in some way: newsflash, I already have been, and I suppose I'll take another hit when I find the family home is nowhere near as valuable as those left by parents who spent it all on property.

Meanwhile Jeremy Corbyn went to a preparatory school, then a private school, like his sibblings. They became respectively maths teachers, experts in their engineering fields and independent weather forecasters. He left at 18 with 2 E grade A levels. His parents lived in a manor house. He's not a fan of private education. Well, he clearly didn't care much for learning at the time, so why would he be?

And then there is his mate Dianne Abbot, supposedly much more left wing than Blair, but not averse to sending her kids to private school.

I think you can see form all these examples that calling somebody "privately educated" is just as much a case of stereotyping as calling somebody "working class".

If you've watched Tommy Robinson's speech at the Oxford Union then you'll know that the establishment are perfectly happy to have people killed. We hear about people like David Kelly and Seth Rich but I imagine it's a lot more widespread than that. No wonder Clinton wants the likes of Brietbart shut down.

Our grim reapers need to get their story straight.

vs

I tend towards spyguy's views here.

DEATH is fighting yesteryear's war.

Blair's children were all educated in the state sector. And they managed to select one of the best schools in that sector by virtue of being in the right catchment area. Nowadays that requires wealth (to buy in the right area) and THAT is today's story. The rich can afford a good education for their children, and get it, without having to pay for it.

I was privately educated. My parents decided to sacrifice the big house for my education. While other parents went on foreign hols in hotels, my parents sat with me and my bro in a tent in overcast Britain. I remember standing with them at the bottom of a funicular railway on just such a holiday, as they fretted over whether they should buy us all the ride. We decided to do something else.

And for my part I had to sit entrance exams. And when I left that school, I was the only one in my year that made it to Oxbridge.

I'm guessing Mr DEATH would have me apologize for my education before being handicapped in some way: newsflash, I already have been, and I suppose I'll take another hit when I find the family home is nowhere near as valuable as those left by parents who spent it all on property.

Meanwhile Jeremy Corbyn went to a preparatory school, then a private school, like his sibblings. They became respectively maths teachers, experts in their engineering fields and independent weather forecasters. He left at 18 with 2 E grade A levels. His parents lived in a manor house. He's not a fan of private education. Well, he clearly didn't care much for learning at the time, so why would he be?

And then there is his mate Dianne Abbot, supposedly much more left wing than Blair, but not averse to sending her kids to private school.

I think you can see form all these examples that calling somebody "privately educated" is just as much a case of stereotyping as calling somebody "working class".

The difference is CHOICE. In your examples, individuals made individual choices (where to live so as in catchment area, to sacrifice so that offspring can attend fee paying schools). Imagine being working class with not much in the way of disposable income. There would be no choice, the local comp it is, whether it is a good or very poor school (hint, the better schools tend not to be found in working class areas. Funny that)

Hmmm

Teresa May getting ready to throw a bone to the working/non-working/underpriviliged white vote ooop north and the provinces who voted brexit and will vote UKIP in droves once they realise that Brexit means fckall

Hmmm

Teresa May getting ready to throw a bone to the working/non-working/underpriviliged white vote ooop north and the provinces who voted brexit and will vote UKIP in droves once they realise that Brexit means fckall

The most disadvantaged white working class was in the east end of London apparently. Doubt there are any left now though

The most disadvantaged white working class was in the east end of London apparently. Doubt there are any left now though

The white in the east end nowadays are hipster BOMAD webbyapp kidults on skateboards

The traditional white working class moved out decades ago to The 'nam (Dagenham) and greater essex. As I say, I think May is trying to define todays 'Mondeo Man' which will eagerly go UKIP if not handled with kid gloves

I am the white working class, albeit a relatively posh one.

I'm pretty angry when I see "Kid's project", or whatever it was, fronted by a sofa. :blink:

I am the white working class, albeit a relatively posh one.

I'm pretty angry when I see "Kid's project", or whatever it was, fronted by a sofa. :blink:

It's not a very good term mr pin. Anyone who has to work, must by definition, be working class. Perhaps privilege would be a more helpful term as in more or less privileged

Whatever happened to the sofa? Was she charged? Jailed? Knighted? Someone on here once described her as like an explosion in a paint factory which I thought quite accurate.