House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snafu

Recumbent Bicycles

Are they not too difficult to see ?

Absolutely. There's one around my locality. I've narrowly missed him a few times, especially when he's passing parked cars, for some reason.

I would love a Kettwiesel. Amazing machines. But fůck me, they're pricey.

Used to ride a Dutch recumbent back in the 90's. It was a 'CC cycles - Gimmick' (they later called themselves Optima) and it was a lovely bike but very heavy. However to counteract its weight it was beautifully equipped, had rear suspension, under-seat steering and even had Magura hydraulic rim brakes. I probably covered around 5000 miles on this bike but unfortunately it was stolen about ten years ago. If anyone sees an industrial yellow two wheeled recumbent with 'CC Gimmick' on its nose, its probably mine.....

They are very efficient.

You look like a dork.

A lorry will run over you.

Ages ago, i was looking at optimal human / engine asisted stuff. The velopede?? stuff where you have a full fairing is great. But id need a dedicated lane safe from cars to use one.

Can you go up hills with them?

That's a serious question from me.

I know you can, but it just puzzles me that you can't put your weight behind it as you can with a traditional bike.

Looking at it, it looks very uncomfortable and inefficient and all I ever see are boomer nutty professor types on them.

What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Are they not too difficult to see ?

You will be OK on the motorbike.

I know you can, but it just puzzles me that you can't put your weight behind it as you can with a traditional bike.

Looking at it, it looks very uncomfortable and inefficient and all I ever see are boomer nutty professor types on them.

They are heavier.

Put a fairing on and they are a lot heavier.

If you lived somewhere with flat, long roads and no cars theyd be great.

Yes.

Very slowly.

Some of them are trikes. That makes uphill easy, because you're still stable at speed zero. But downhill is lethal, as you'll tend to fall off when you try to steer.

I have ha a go on the recumbent bikes down the gym, they never seem to "feel" right, i think it's because you can't put your body behind the effort.

Ok for sitting watching the gym televisions though.

Less air resistance, and I think that that plus the posture means that you can travel much further for the same effort.

Yes.

Very slowly.

Some of them are trikes. That makes uphill easy, because you're still stable at speed zero. But downhill is lethal, as you'll tend to fall off when you try to steer.

Not really. Uphill is a pig. Theyre made for flats and downhill.

My recumbent is horrible uphill. But they don't have to be. I only have 9 gears and not gears for hills.the kettwiesel.us unusually bad up hills because it has one front wheel and two rear wheels but only power on the right wheel, which means when I put power through the front wheel skids, because of the gearing being bad.

Advantages:zero sore hands, arms, back, bottom and a very relaxed ride and little change of falling on your face (is that's important).I bought because my back likes the riding position.

I ride mine in traffic with flags and blinking lights and works ok but it's not as nice as on an upright bike. Slow to get moving too.

Going on the flats and downhill its loads of fun.

The best part is putting Trailer on it with my daughter in it as you can easily chat in a natural way as you're at the same height and you can just stop anywhere and sit on the bike like it's a chair .

I like it

Like driving a `clown`s car` or a C5. Total rubbish.

Anyone heard of a C50 ? (lowers voice....)

The most popular motorcycle ever made. Born to be mild!

I heard people with back issues use them.

I have back trouble. A regular bike helps a lot with it, and has at times been the only thing that's kept me going. Sadly my experience of 'bents is limited to when I once found myself at a bike show, so I don't know how my back would get on with one.

Yes Mr Pin.....first built in 1958.

Btw, still loving my sv650 and way the noise comes from under tank. A truly modest motorcycle.

I think you made a good choice there with your lady size motorcycle. I think you were wise wise with that one. Although I have broken the thread again, by not talking about the actual topic!