House Price Crash Forum

We Can't Live On £50K

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

I always wanted 16 children. Eight white, and eight black, so I could teach them chess! :(

I guess you get you kid all the best electronic gadget, telescopes, spud guns and meccano. Spoiled rotten I guess.

Or if it's a female, My Little Pony, and a doll's house.

I much preferred telescopes and spud guns to dolls, many girls do.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I much preferred telescopes and spud guns to dolls, many girls do.

I know. Neither of my sisters were overly fond of pink fluffy tat. :wacko:

HOLA443

Arguably though that's an investment in the future since it can be difficult to get back into work after a long break plus she'll have more work experience than if she stayed at home.

I would usually add that not everything should be assessed in pure monetary terms but in this case that's exactly what they're doing!

They probably would be better off if she didn't work but if she likes doing it then put that down as another price worth paying for having what you want.

HOLA444

I would usually add that not everything should be assessed in pure monetary terms but in this case that's exactly what they're doing!

They probably would be better off if she didn't work but if she likes doing it then put that down as another price worth paying for having what you want.

Quite right Frank! I'm pretty sure myself and my sisters weren't cheap to run, and I don't think we were very rich. There were no tax credits then. Employers had to pay you enough to live on.

HOLA445

I always wanted 16 children. Eight white, and eight black, so I could teach them chess! :(

I guess you get you kid all the best electronic gadget, telescopes, spud guns and meccano. Spoiled rotten I guess.

Or if it's a female, My Little Pony, and a doll's house.

Quite right Frank! I'm pretty sure myself and my sisters weren't cheap to run, and I don't think we were very rich. There were no tax credits then. Employers had to pay you enough to live on.

You can't have been that expensive. You only had half a chess set.

HOLA446

You can't have been that expensive. You only had half a chess set.

We didn't even have one team. Enough for billiards though.

HOLA447
HOLA448

My dad worked on the buses for London Transport. My mum worked as a cleaner, a dinner lady, meter reader.

They raised four kids.

We lived in a council house, but we had holidays (in the UK) and I don't recall feeling desperately poor or that it bothered me much at all.

My dad retired with a reasonable pension.

Is that possible now?

HOLA449

Heretic!!

No, a lot of cheapksate employers plead poverty so the State (into which I and many others pay, except Frank, because he is an accountant :blink: ) can subsidise them. :o. In a similar way we subsidise cheesy landlords with housing benefit.

Am I alone in seeing the stupidity of this? Rhetorical question in this place I reckon. :blink:

HOLA4410

My dad worked on the buses for London Transport. My mum worked as a cleaner, a dinner lady, meter reader.

They raised four kids.

We lived in a council house, but we had holidays (in the UK) and I don't recall feeling desperately poor or that it bothered me much at all.

Is that possible now?

I never felt poor, lots of brothers and sisters.... ;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Is a £50k per year combined salary really racking it in? All in this article seem to have salaries paying somewhere around the average, although some with elevated job titles.

One of the highest earners was the nurse.

This should be more of an article about inflation, along the lines £50k sounds like a lot, but really with house prices inflation it buys you f all.

HOLA4413

They raised four kids.

Is that possible now?.

I almost don't think it is. You either leave with half a million pounds as a failed director of the BBC for a few months, or a very naughty chief banker. Luckily, I have guns beans and books.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Very true Mr Pin.....we were all in it together, and the things that mattered were mostly free...the rest cost very little.....nobody to impress. ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Very true Mr Pin.....we were all in it together, and the things that mattered were mostly free...the rest cost very little.....nobody to impress. ;)

I'm not too impressed that taxpayers' money (And that's most of us except Frank, who is a trucking accountant) is used to provide "working tax credits" to employers with a failed business, that can't afford to employ people with a proper wage, and then we have to chip in with "housing benefit" for these working people, because the rent is too high. Feel the free market oh landlords, and you would be bankrupt in months! :blink:

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I'm not too impressed that taxpayers' money (And that's most of us except Frank, who is a trucking accountant) is used to provide "working tax credits" to employers with a failed business, that can't afford to employ people with a proper wage, and then we have to chip in with "housing benefit" for these working people, because the rent is too high. Feel the free market oh landlords, and you would be bankrupt in months! :blink:

Quite right.....special bonuses to some, both rich and poor, only make everything more expensive for everyone. ;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Quite right.....special bonuses to some, both rich and poor, only make everything more expensive for everyone. ;)

My lovely bonus this year was £400. It was a bit of money I didn't bet on getting though! I don't think I will retire on it.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

They raised four kids.

Is that possible now?

You are Sadiq Khan and I claim my five pounds :)

HOLA4425

[quote name="SpectrumFX"

Surely some of these couples would actually be better off if one of the parents gave up work

Probably be better off heading north. The housing stock is bottom end sub 100k standard by northern standards, not the princely sums they have shelled out, 260k in 2009 in one case and a thousand plus a month for an ex council house. Would certainly cut the outgoings. Its not all smoke and unemployment up here some areas have near zero unemployment and solid Tory majorities just we dont pay silly prices for houses. Peak District, for example.

Archived