House Price Crash Forum

We Can't Live On £50K

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Council Tax in that district for a Band D is 145 pounds a month. Looking at that house it is probably a C or at most a D.

http://www.surreyheath.gov.uk/residents/council-tax/band-charges-appeals#Bands

Thats 1035 going on electric, gas, water, broadband, phones and insurance.

That's about 5 times more than I spend, they must have a tap into their gas from their neighbours or something :)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

For those who can't be a**ed to read the article it was basically what you thought. People giving loads of their income to rent, slightly less to mortgage (thanks to wealth transfer from savers), tons in childcare etc. comments section was justifiably angry about benefit system that equalises pro single mums to comparable wealth level for doing jack all. Nothing we don't know, effing joke.

Yea, they do look miserable as sin. Working for nowt basically.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

It's funny how a couple of life changes can ruin you financially.

I earn about £38K - don't have or need a car, and have no kids. I literally have more money than I know what to do with - but then again that's partly because I grew up with no money do learned not to blow it on silly stuff and keeping-up-with-the-jonses status objects.

Contrast that with my mate who's on a similar wage and is having to pay for his wife (who gave up work 6 months after they wed), their dog and cat, her son (from another bloke), and their impending kid, and all of a sudden that doesn't look like a lot of money at all.

I'd like kids some day, but it would have to be with someone who was reasonably frugal by nature - I wouldn't want to bring up kids in an environment where we were under constant stress living paycheck to paycheck.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I don't think this is true at all. It's possibly what people who have children tell themselves.

I think the nuance is that you may well regret when you are old that you didn't take the time to have children.

Of the perfectly happy childless men I know I think there's only one who would have really liked them; and he's not come out and said it, just takes a big interest in other people's children which is unusual for a man (nb - absolutely zero creepy about it).

Most are ambivalent and have the usual man's lack of interest in kids.

I don't know anybody (except on here!) who is actually anti them.

HOLA4412

Interesting. You don't think that your own consciousness/existence is sufficient? Why would you need children?

To preserve the group is quite important...If all couples have 2 kids, assuming no deaths, then the population is stable. It seems 2.4 kids are needed on average to sustain a population. We arent doing that as White British...hence the lefty drive for immigration.

It is thus your natural duty.

HOLA4413

Everybody regrets having children; and everybody regrets not having children.

We were 35 when we realised we didn't want children. Of course, by then, it was too late. (Only joking).

Some of those figures are mental. Take-home pay of £1550 and childcare of £1200. If there are any working (which there are - commuting, etc) then he's not making a bean on his labour.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I agree. Closest I ever get is thinking that it might be nice to have adult children when I'm older.

you dont realise what you missed if you dont have them...and its sometimes not until the wife wants to take them away that men realise just how important they have become...men and women will DIE for their kids...and I mean that literally, and that applies to grandkids too.

Yes, they mess up your (single) life, yes they are a drain, but they ARE your future when your own has passed. And in spite of all this, they do give so much pleasure amongst everything else, and you cant buy that kind of pleasure.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

you dont realise what you missed if you dont have them...and its sometimes not until the wife wants to take them away that men realise just how important they have become...men and women will DIE for their kids...and I mean that literally, and that applies to grandkids too.

Yes, they mess up your (single) life, yes they are a drain, but they ARE your future when your own has passed. And in spite of all this, they do give so much pleasure amongst everything else, and you cant buy that kind of pleasure.

No point trying to convert me - I had my tubes tied when I was 29.

I find how people with children try to persuade the child-free to procreate a bit like how smokers or heavy drinkers are always trying to get others to smoke and drink. It's like they know that they've ******ed up their lives and want to drag everyone else down with them. Misery loves company, as they say.

HOLA4418

We were 35 when we realised we didn't want children. Of course, by then, it was too late. (Only joking).

Some of those figures are mental. Take-home pay of £1550 and childcare of £1200. If there are any working (which there are - commuting, etc) then he's not making a bean on his labour.

One of them would be better of staying at home or cutting down and using only the funded hours of childcare if available. Ditch the second car (in one example they were paying £600/month on cars) and cook more from scratch to reduce the groceries bill.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I don't think this is true at all. It's possibly what people who have children tell themselves.

No. I have only one kid. I wished we'd had more. I loved being a dad - it gives a meaning and purpose to your life which is immediate doesn't need any thinking about. My wife had a difficult labour and nearly died, and she didn't want any more and then couldn't have any more anyway.

I'm rather gutted about it and prefer not to think about it.

It really is the only regret that really bothers me.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

No. I have only one kid. I wished we'd had more. I loved being a dad - it gives a meaning and purpose to your life which is immediate doesn't need any thinking about. My wife had a difficult labour and nearly died, and she didn't want any more and then couldn't have any more anyway.

I'm rather gutted about it and prefer not to think about it.

It really is the only regret that really bothers me.

I always wanted 16 children. Eight white, and eight black, so I could teach them chess! :(

I guess you get you kid all the best electronic gadget, telescopes, spud guns and meccano. Spoiled rotten I guess.

Or if it's a female, My Little Pony, and a doll's house.

HOLA4424

£975 on childminder.

whilst Michelle earns £1,381

How much of the expenses they have are due to her going to work?

Arguably though that's an investment in the future since it can be difficult to get back into work after a long break plus she'll have more work experience than if she stayed at home.

HOLA4425

Like peace and quiet from not having children. That has the double advantage of leaving with more money too though, best of both worlds.

Agree that children or adults can be as close to their aunts and uncles or another as they are to their parents...don't have to have children to love children. ;)

Archived