House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Zeppelins - A Warning From History.

Why the persistance with this form of air travel?

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it"

On the other hand just because a concept had problems once doesn't mean it'll never be a decent one. The trick with the whole repeating history thing is recognising whether or not you really are doing the same thing, or whether there's enough of a difference. May as well avoid rail travel as being dangerous because the boilers tended to explode on early locomotives.

That's exactly why. Bottom line. It's the same reason why there is expected to be a rise in turbo prop aircraft for short haul flights. People can live with an extra 10-15 mins on a 2hr flight.

What, with the chronic impatience of modern life where everything must be faster, faster, faster? No, can't have and extra 10 - 15 minutes, must make the 2hr flight a 1.5hr flight. Will someone please think of the economy!

I thought the slo-mo crash made it look rather endeering. I reckon there's a business in aerial bumper cars just waiting to blossom.

It doesn't tax my engineering skills too far to realise that a nice chunky wheel on the front of that gondola (attached to something suitably strong) would have prevented that little accident. Nothing too big, something like the balloon tyred ATV's have.

It would have acted like the front wheel on a wheelbarrow causing the blimp to roll along the ground.

ATV-Lawn-Mower-off-Road-Air-Wheel-with-A

It doesn't tax my engineering skills too far to realise that a nice chunky wheel on the front of that gondola (attached to something suitably strong) would have prevented that little accident. Nothing too big, something like the balloon tyred ATV's have.

It would have acted like the front wheel on a wheelbarrow causing the blimp to roll along the ground.

Unfortunately, by declaring your invention on a public forum, you have rendered it unpatentable. So as much as I see it's usefulnes for stuff like this ...

cover_biggest_pumpkins-dd.jpg

... I can't see how, as an investor, I will make money selling the world's largest wheelbarrow.

For that reason, I have to say, I'm out.

This flying white elephant is a staggering waste of precious helium!

Helium is hardly "precious", it's used in party balloons... :)

(I recognise that it's a non-renewable resource; I'm just saying that at present we've got so much of it that it gets wasted at kid's parties... and building a blimp seems like a far more interesting use of it than balloons, even if this Zeppelin turns out to be a dead end).

(I recognise that it's a non-renewable resource; I'm just saying that at present we've got so much of it that it gets wasted at kid's parties... and building a blimp seems like a far more interesting use of it than balloons, even if this Zeppelin turns out to be a dead end).

Errmmmm......it might be way bigger but it's still being wasted on a frickin balloon! Only difference is the helium here will be wasted, on a far greater scale, for rich executives/VIP parties!

Apparently it is filled with "inert helium" i gather that means it cannot explode?

Helium is very unreactive. The original Zeppelins were filled with hydrogen, which catches fire rather easily (but is both rather lighter and cheaper than helium).

That seems to be debatable, much like the idea that we're running out of oil. There are plenty of news stories about how we're running out of Helium, but there are also plenty of claims that there's no shortage at all...

Apparently it is filled with "inert helium" i gather that means it cannot explode?

depends how much you pump it up. Similarly (tho not inert in a chemical sense) CO2does not form explosive mixtures with air. But feed a duck a few alka-seltzers and you'll quickly be reminded that things can go bang without explosives!

That seems to be debatable, much like the idea that we're running out of oil. There are plenty of news stories about how we're running out of Helium, but there are also plenty of claims that there's no shortage at all...

Just fit a fuel scoop and stay away from pirates. Sun does the rest.

Would fail on the viability test though. A lot of aero engineering these days is about weight saving. I spent some time chatting to someone who designs aircraft seats, where the tradeoffs are things like safety (withstand various forces, flammability), comfort (news to me) and weight.

You get helium from helium mines. I think another big one has just been opened up.

A lot of helium is used for superconducting magnets (MRI/NMR and at places like CERN). Most MRI manufacturers are moving towards zero boil off systems that consume (nominally) zero helium, you just fill them up when they are installed and that's it.

You're sort of comparing apples with oranges.....

even if we do genuinely 'run out' of oil (very unlikely in my lifetime), we can still produce it artificially (albeit at higher cost than the natural stuff takenm out of the ground).

We cannot make helium!