House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

Proxima B

Bristol is an hour away on the bus, so I'm not going there.

Proxima B is 70,000 *years* away on the bus. I'm sure it'll be out of zone for Stagecoach's GoldRider ticket.

Proxima B is 70,000 *years* away on the bus. I'm sure it'll be out of zone for Stagecoach's GoldRider ticket.

No, I'm afraid you have to cycle it! :wacko:

When I was a kid not a single planet had been discovered outside our solar system.

Now there's thousands.

And as instruments improve, I can look forward to more discoveries: more earth-like planets, more details about them (mineral composition, atmosphere, oceans?).

Exciting times!

Remember that if you're not yet eligible for a free bus pass only pay for the leg to Pluto - you'll be eligible for free travel for the remainder of the journey.

That's just long enough to save for a deposit for a house for when you get there

I reckon you are out by a factor of about 630. I make it 44.6 million years @ 60mph !

It's moving too though, its component of motion in the direction of the solar system is about 50000 mph.

Talking about it on LBC at the moment. Mostly rubbish eg just now "We'll be there by 2028."

What worries me is that we are rushing off to embrace ET when can't get even get on with the French yet! (substitute your own chosen foreign nation, racial grouping, ethnic sect etc).

Bristol is an hour away on the bus, so I'm not going there.

Is this a clever reference to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

Bristol is where the UK Planning Inspectorate is based, and Alpha Centuri is where the Inter-Galactic planning office is based.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

VOGON CAPTAIN:

[On Speakers] People of Earth your attention please. This is Prostectic Vogon Jeltz of the Galactic Hyperspace Planet Council. As you no doubt will be aware, the plans for the development of the outlying regions of the western spiral arm of the galaxy require the building of a hyperspace express route through your star system and, regrettably, your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition. The process will take slightly less than two of your Earth minutes thank you very much.

MANKIND:

[Yells of protest]

VOGON CAPTAIN:

Theres no point in acting all surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years so youve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaints and its far too late to start making a fuss about it now.

MANKIND:

[Louder yells of protest]

VOGON CAPTAIN:

What do you mean youve never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh for heaven sake mankind its only four light years away you know! Im sorry but if you cant be bothered to take an interest in local affairs thats your own regard. Energise the demolition beams! God I dont knowapathetic bloody planet, Ive no sympathy at all

We will shortly be boldly exploring space, in search of foreign investors to prop up the London Housing Market!

I don't remember THAT episode from TNG :unsure:

P

Me neither, but I'm sure The Prime Directive* will continue to see us unable to meet the target of building 250,000 homes per year no matter how many earth like planets we find. Either that or angry, aqualung-sporting (Westminster will be under 30m or water at this point) NIMBGs (pronounced nim-gees - not in my back galaxy) will bring prssure to bear on politician to protect endangered silicon-based lifeforms.

* - some Star Trek thing, I really have no idea what I'm talking about - honest (apu)