House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Badger Cull

Difficult one isn't it?

My immediate reaction is that any solution that requires killing a great swathe of natural wildlife is outrageous (and it has been suggested that foxes also carry it, so kill them too) and on a par with the Hitchhiker's Guide solution to too many leaves of cutting down all the trees.

But there is a problem, there is no obvious alternative that will work. Hmm.

There is an estimate of 2023 for a commercially available vaccine for cattle as the present one isn't very good, so my initial reaction is to wait the seven years.

But:

I'm not a dairy farmer, so I am allowed to get all sentimental about the cute little badger as it has no downside for me.

There's no guarantee that that better vaccine will be available in 2023.

So mark me down as a "don't know". I hate the cull but have nothing better to offer.

Difficult one isn't it?

My immediate reaction is that any solution that requires killing a great swathe of natural wildlife is outrageous (and it has been suggested that foxes also carry it, so kill them too) and on a par with the Hitchhiker's Guide solution to too many leaves of cutting down all the trees.

There is an estimate of 2023 for a commercially available vaccine for cattle as the present one isn't very good, so my initial reaction is to wait the seven years.

But:

I'm not a dairy farmer, so I am allowed to get all sentimental about the cute little badger as it has no downside for me.

So mark me down as a "don't know". I hate the cull but have nothing better to offer.

For the record, Im a veggie.

Im not really an animal lover. Animals are OK outside but I dont want them in the house - bar fish.

Im also from a rural area. One where theres no TB - thats all in the warm most SW.

Im OK with the cull.

Badgers are not endangered.

And the cull, Id hope, will prove the TB one way or another.

There's a lot of claims going round. Most are bordering on magic claims.

One thing you have to understand is most farmers are fcking idiots. I grew up with them. 99% morons.

I should add that I do not expect much of a dairy operation to be left after the cull concludes.

Not due to TB. All down to UK milk being too expensive.

I should add that I do not expect much of a dairy operation to be left after the cull concludes.

Not due to TB. All down to UK milk being too expensive.

But farmers are always bleating about how the supermarkets are paying them less per pint than it costs to produce

Genuinely interested as I'm a city boy

Difficult one isn't it?

But:

TB is a disease of poverty. It hits humans in deeply substandard conditions, and cattle likewise. Sadly it appears also to spread from cattle to wildlife, perhaps not least due to the permanent state of diarrhoea suffered by cattle genetically modifiedbred for man's use.

We got rid of it (more or less) in humans by getting richer and living better. Perhaps therein lies a solution for those animals whose lives are controlled by humans.

But farmers are always bleating about how the supermarkets are paying them less per pint than it costs to produce

Genuinely interested as I'm a city boy

There's a couple of markets:

Wet milk

Powdered milk.

Stuff like cheese and yogurt milk gets made on contract.

Milk is priced according to the market.

At the mo, the UK milk market is flooded.

Farmers invested way too much into production of a world commodity when they haves some of highest production costs.

Where is the cost in milk production- price of land.

Dairy farmers grow grass as their main product. Milk is secondary.

So who do you believe, a long haired guitar playing astronomer or the farming community?

You don't believe either because neither is claiming to know. The League against Cruel Sports is pushing for badger vaccination but this is accepted to take years to protect sufficient badgers to effectively eliminate TB in that area, but then you need to keep doing it.

Cattle vaccination is the obvious one, there is an EU ban on this (not without reason) so not our problem soon, but the vaccine isn't very good and you can't then test for TB for an extended period as it will then show positive.

So you want an effective vaccine which is promised for 2023. Even if that work is completed by then will the vaccine do as intended?

TB is a disease of poverty. It hits humans in deeply substandard conditions, and cattle likewise. Sadly it appears also to spread from cattle to wildlife, perhaps not least due to the permanent state of diarrhoea suffered by cattle genetically modifiedbred for man's use.

We got rid of it (more or less) in humans by getting richer and living better. Perhaps therein lies a solution for those animals whose lives are controlled by humans.

Yes I've heard the hypothesis that their ill health is due to poor diet. Plenty of manufactured cow cake and no hay meadows to munch on. The germs that cause TB are there all the time. I heard this from a farmer on a nature program.

So who do you believe, a long haired guitar playing astrophysicist, or the farming community?

Noone with a vested interest.

Yes I've heard the hypothesis that their ill health is due to poor diet. Plenty of manufactured cow cake and no hay meadows to munch on. The germs that cause TB are there all the time. I heard this from a farmer on a nature program.

Its a good hypothesis.

It would be interesting to see infection rates betweens breeds and milk production.

Holsteins are like milk factory. They must be permenently stressed and run down.