House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fairyland

Germans Told To Stockpile Food And Water For Civil Defence

BBC: Germans told to stockpile food and water for civil defence

Citizens are advised to store enough food to last them 10 days, because initially a disaster might put national emergency services beyond reach.

Five days' water - two litres (half a gallon) per person daily - is advised.

The German news website Frankfurter Allgemeine (FAZ) said the new concept was set out in a 69-page German Interior Ministry document.

The document said "an attack on German territory, requiring conventional defence of the nation, is unlikely". But, it said, a major security threat to the nation in future could not be ruled out, so civil defence measures were necessary.

What type of security threat? Economic survival?

Edited by Fairyland

Germans love preparing for disaster.

German Government wants large amounts of people with medical training, soldering skills, etc, as opposed to sitting at home watching TV. There are multiple large medical reserve volunteer organizations who have a lot of kit, and conscription only ended here in 2011 after they finally realized the Soviet Union was no longer a thing.

This level of tinfoil-hattery is kind of cool whenever there is a real disaster like a flood.

A couple of my german friends, who are in their mid-thirties and don't know each other, describe conscription in similar ways.

The first spent two years as a medical technician. He didn't think it was particularly useful but talking about it did help to get him into medical school in the UK. However, after that he found that in moments of great stress in his life (birth of unexpected child, prospect of being kicked out of medical school due to repeated exam failure etc) he would have a recurring nightmare about being back in the army and captured by the Russians.

The second spent two years as an infanteer. He thought it was a boring and useless and at the end of his two years told his commanding officer so. His CO went berserk and demanded to know what my friend would do "when the Russians come".

I think there may be a deep seated fear of the Russians in the german psyche.

Edited by Will!

Germans love preparing for disaster.
German Government wants large amounts of people with medical training, soldering skills, etc, as opposed to sitting at home watching TV. There are multiple large medical reserve volunteer organizations who have a lot of kit, and conscription only ended here in 2011 after they finally realized the Soviet Union was no longer a thing.
This level of tinfoil-hattery is kind of cool whenever there is a real disaster like a flood.

Are the soldering skill to help make the tin foil hats?

I think there may be a deep seated fear of the Russians in the german psyche.

Is this a joke?

The Germans invade Russia, kill an estimated 25 million people (yes, 25 million) and then after the war apparently it is the Germans who have a fear or Russians? What planet are they on?

Sure, the Russians destroyed 85% of the entire German army, but that was just fair game. After all, the Germans started it.

The Russians are the ones who have a worry about invasion. They still have it and quite legitimately as well, given the expansion of NATO to Russian borders (even though NATO explicitly promised not to expand into old Soviet states).

Short term boost to German GDP

Indeed but having said that it's Germany and they don't usually go in for ploy economics - or at least not ones quite so blatant, one off and short term.

The boost to GDP is at one end of the spectrum of possible reasons and I imagine at the other end are possibilities like a migrant under arrest has been found to have a small amount of fissionable/dirty bomb material - successfully brought in because the border checks have apparently been so lax. Some say there were 2 million unidentified and unchecked new arrivals to Germany just last year and only a few hundred could carry enough in to be a really massive problem.

Their lack of clarity regarding the reason just leads to conjecture of course.

Why only Germany - presumably the entire eu indeed all of europe would be at risk - whatever the reason is behind it. Of course as usual there's nothing to clarify it in the news in Britain - which is still part of the eu.

Edited by billybong

Switzerland said the same thing about 3 months ago.

Switzerland have long recommended (possibly required) people living there to hold a stock of food and water at home, in case of emergency situations where government help is slow in coming.

It's just common sense, every sensible country should do likewise. It doesn't take much effort to have 3-4 days worth of food and bottled water stored in case of some sort of unforeseen situation where access to essentials is restricted.

Also, I gather the Germans are recommended keeping a stock of cash. Again, perfectly sensible. Too bad that the authorities have decided to get rid of the €500 note in their wisdom, 'only for use by criminals' .... :rolleyes:

Switzerland have long recommended (possibly required) people living there to hold a stock of food and water at home, in case of emergency situations where government help is slow in coming.

It's just common sense, every sensible country should do likewise. It doesn't take much effort to have 3-4 days worth of food and bottled water stored in case of some sort of unforeseen situation where access to essentials is restricted.

Also, I gather the Germans are recommended keeping a stock of cash. Again, perfectly sensible. Too bad that the authorities have decided to get rid of the 500 note in their wisdom, 'only for use by criminals' .... :rolleyes:

Perfectly sensible as otherwise you'll end up like the UK where shop shelves are cleared by fools panicking.

The Germans aren't big on plastic so tend to always have cash on them or around the house. Plus places like restaurants often don't take plastic. Guest they aren't hardcore debt junkies, unlike far too many Brits.

Germans are big on gold as well. Their domestic market for 'ordinary' people is massive compared to the market in the UK.

There can't be many countries with a more financially illiterate population than the UK (Ireland and the USA maybe).

I suspect that the average Brit would struggle to understand the concept of principal/ percentages/ interest. Indeed, the average Brit probably has problems doing sums involving anything other than addition and subtraction of amounts more than low double digits .

In fact many people now don't even seem to 'get' the concept of credit and debt generally, treating credit card debt as they would available bank savings. "I've got next to no money in savings but still have a couple of grand to go before I reach my credit limit? Woohoo! I have a thousand quid to spend on a foreign holiday!".

Suits the establishment perfectly.

It's called Silly Season for a reason.

Yes the DT reporting now : Germany considers plan to bring back conscription

What is going on? What do they know that we don't?

Telegraph anti German ****** as usual. All countries can and would call up their cannon fodder citizens in times of war regardless of what their official position or law states. If you were over 18 in the uk during the first Iraq war, the U.K. had printed up conscription cards with your name on it, not for frontline but as dad's army style nonsense. All pretty pointless if war with Russia ever starts by the time the cards are posted we'd largely be dead.