House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
libitina

Oil Prices Up?

Fuel made from cooking oil on sale

MP Philip Dunne with the first new fuel customer at the garage Nina Pugh

The UK’s first cooking oil powered fuel went on sale at a Shropshire garage forecourt today.

Environmental group The Wasteless Society has launched a partnership with Union Street Garage, in Bishop’s Castle, and Intelligent Energy Services, to sell the UK’s first 100 per cent biodiesel.

The biodiesel has been made from used cooking oil, collected from the south Shropshire area by Intelligent Energy Services. Only rapeseed oil will be used.

Ludlow MP Philip Dunne formally opened the biodiesel pump today with Bishop’s Castle mayor Councillor Mrs Jane Carroll.

Soon to be one on every forecourt?

I have a diesel and I have heard from a variety of different and intelligent sources that it will run on cooking oil with a minimum of tweeking. I can remember another thread on bio-diesel on this forum and I thought the consensus of opinion is that it is worse than petroleum.

Anyway, its Friday and what does that mean? Fish and Chips.

Guest magnoliawalls

...and here's the latest from the reliable, old BBC...

Energy prices boost US sentiment

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

They'll give up their lives for Gordon it seems...

That article is

Last Updated: Friday, 20 January 2006, 16:24 GMT

The BBC certainly have a low opinion of their audience.

Noticed a piece on Greenspan on the home page regarding his "legacy".

I reckon Greenspan will go down in history as the man who bankrupted the US and destroyed its economy and had no policies other than pumping up one speculative boom after another.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4562488.stm

Greenspan is loved in the US. (note I didn't say loved by me)

We (as a whole) will be very slow to admit he ever did anything wrong.

:unsure:

I rather doubt it. Biodiesel is one of those bits of glitter people like to believe in when the oil supply might be threatened. I am sure I read somewhere it is only cheap as a waste product of cooking, so the supply is limited to that (ie, not very much in the scheme of things). The original oil is hopeless as a source of energy for transportation; you need land and oil to grow it. We'll soon need both for the rather more urgent purpose of having enough to eat.

http://www.manchesterbiodieselcoop.org.uk/

They've got it in Manchester!

Biodiesel is a renewable fuel which is derived from vegetable oil.

Any diesel engine can use it, without any conversion.

It significantly reduces CO2 emissions and can improve local air quality

Our prices are competitive and our fuels are made to European Standards.

Our Basic 5 fuel can be used by anyone. To use our Pure 100 fuel you need to become a member, please contact us for details.

Open December 20th 2005

100 Fairfield Street, behind Piccadilly Station, Manchester M1 2WR

Opening times

Tues - Fri: 8am - 1pm and 3pm- 6pm

Sat: 1pm - 5pm

Tel. no

0845 373 2769

http://www.manchesterbiodieselcoop.org.uk/

They've got it in Manchester!

Biodiesel is a renewable fuel which is derived from vegetable oil.

Any diesel engine can use it, without any conversion.

It significantly reduces CO2 emissions and can improve local air quality

Our prices are competitive and our fuels are made to European Standards.

Our Basic 5 fuel can be used by anyone. To use our Pure 100 fuel you need to become a member, please contact us for details.

Open December 20th 2005

100 Fairfield Street, behind Piccadilly Station, Manchester M1 2WR

Opening times

Tues - Fri: 8am - 1pm and 3pm- 6pm

Sat: 1pm - 5pm

Tel. no

0845 373 2769

SB, I am assuming you are quoting their spiel verbatum. t won't reduce CO2 emissions by any realistic measure. They probably means CO2/gallon without mentioning it gives less energy per gallon than mineral diesel. I would advise against being impressed.

I rather doubt it. Biodiesel is one of those bits of glitter people like to believe in when the oil supply might be threatened. I am sure I read somewhere it is only cheap as a waste product of cooking, so the supply is limited to that (ie, not very much in the scheme of things). The original oil is hopeless as a source of energy for transportation; you need land and oil to grow it. We'll soon need both for the rather more urgent purpose of having enough to eat.

SB, I am assuming you are quoting their spiel verbatum. t won't reduce CO2 emissions by any realistic measure. They probably means CO2/gallon without mentioning it gives less energy per gallon than mineral diesel. I would advise against being impressed.

Malco,

Most of what you say I agree with. I've spent many hours f**king around making biodiesel from waste and new oil.

20% of it is derived from methanol, which is usually made from fossil fuels (natural gas) so that part of it is not carbon neutral. The other 80% is grown in the fields, how much of this growth and harvesting involves fossil fuels is debatable.

There is not enough land on earth to make biodiesel viable. In fact, if all the arable land on Earth was set aside for biodiesel production there would only be enough to supply European needs for a month, while the population starves to death.

It's a nice idea, like "The Good Life" and organic food, far from practical in an overcrowded world.

I am afraid I did just cut and paste it.

so how many gallons can you make in a hectare?

Depends on what you grow, roughly 1000 litres, minus energy input and 20% glycerin.

Depends on what you grow, roughly 1000 litres, minus energy input and 20% glycerin.

Yeah, I'd be real worried about "energy inputs" and "CO2 emmissions" if I couldnt move my family around.

Btw - you've got it wrong about glycerine. Glycerine is extracted from veg oil to make biodiesel.

Its a by-product, not a component.

Biodiesel and ethanol are in a different category in terms of resource use, greenhouse gases etc depending on the source of the raw materials.

If it's using some waste product which otherwise gets incinerated or sent to landfill then it makes sense both in energy and environmental terms to be usiing it rather than disposing of it as waste. It results in a net saving of fossil fuels and greenhouse gas emissions since the environmental impact of growing the crops etc is already taking place whether the waste is used as biodiesel / ethanol or not. But the use of the waste saves petroleum, hence the overall gain.

It's completely different however when actualy growing crops for the sole purpose of biodiesel / ethanol production is considered. Then you have to include all the energy which goes into growing the crops, fertilizer, land use etc. It's just not practical to power even half the world's vehicles this way.

Well with an impending energy shortage it is encouraging to find that we have the most renewable energy concious government in all time. Since their coming to power the whole cabinet, and the house of commons has been run on hot air, and it looks to continue well into the future.

Yeah, I'd be real worried about "energy inputs" and "CO2 emmissions" if I couldnt move my family around.

Btw - you've got it wrong about glycerine. Glycerine is extracted from veg oil to make biodiesel.

Its a by-product, not a component.

read it again. "minus energy input and 20% glycerin".

Energy input, as in what is used to run the machinery. Glycerin is 20% of the oil volume, it is effectively substituted with methanol.

I should know, I spent most of last summer building and running my own processor.

Edited by dom