House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

southmartin

Twitter Handle Scam?

I have a pretty good twitter handle, it's short and works worldwide. recently someone has made me a very good offer for it - in the thousands in fact. So i'm tempted to sell.

However, I'm just wondering if it's actually a scam? - This is what the 'buyer' has sent me:

Since I'm having to pay such a large sum of money, I have a request as a buyer; would you be okay with putting the handle onto a new account with 0 followers and 0 tweets? I would save me from having to clean the account and you can then also keep your account without having to lose anything. You have a lot of followers who would wonder where the new Twitter for the company they followed would be. Also, if I randomly sign into a 2009 account, Twitter will suspend the account. If I sign into a 2016 one, then nothing will happen.

Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from here.
Although it may seem insecure, if you have two windows open side by side on a computer, you can swap the handle over leaving less than 2 seconds with the handle free.
How I propose this transaction to go:
1) You transfer the handle onto a brand new account
2) You email me saying you have done so and I will check to confirm it
3) You tell me how you'd like to be paid whether it be via PayPal, Escrow, Bitcoin etc
4) I add the funds and wait until you've emailed saying that they're in your account
5) You email me the details to this new account
Let me know if you're willing to do this.

I have a pretty good twitter handle, it's short and works worldwide. recently someone has made me a very good offer for it - in the thousands in fact. So i'm tempted to sell.

However, I'm just wondering if it's actually a scam? - This is what the 'buyer' has sent me:

Since I'm having to pay such a large sum of money, I have a request as a buyer; would you be okay with putting the handle onto a new account with 0 followers and 0 tweets? I would save me from having to clean the account and you can then also keep your account without having to lose anything. You have a lot of followers who would wonder where the new Twitter for the company they followed would be. Also, if I randomly sign into a 2009 account, Twitter will suspend the account. If I sign into a 2016 one, then nothing will happen.

Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from here.
Although it may seem insecure, if you have two windows open side by side on a computer, you can swap the handle over leaving less than 2 seconds with the handle free.
How I propose this transaction to go:
1) You transfer the handle onto a brand new account
2) You email me saying you have done so and I will check to confirm it
3) You tell me how you'd like to be paid whether it be via PayPal, Escrow, Bitcoin etc
4) I add the funds and wait until you've emailed saying that they're in your account
5) You email me the details to this new account
Let me know if you're willing to do this.

Simple way to tell if it's a scam is to suggest they do the above but making steps 3 and 4, 1 and 2.

Definitely sounds like a scam. What I'd do is ask them to pay me using Escrow such as escrow.com. Anything else and they can go fish.

It's quite correct that you aren't supposed to buy/sell a Twitter account but I know of someone who did, he bought /firstnamelastname for quite a bit of money. Not sure why, to this day

Update - he was trying to scam

I refused to follow his steps and said i'd only do it once the funds were in.. he said he wanted to only use BTC. Which was fine, so i found a BTC escrow site - but then he went quiet

Feckers!