House Price Crash Forum

The Bakery 2 Months On

OrmeauRoadBuyer

If it's been on for months I'd look at my offer again.

Looks like it could be an ex rental.

This agent has a habit of taking off the market and listing as "new". I also think they over value.

It is ex rental. It was on originally at £190k and was dropped to £185k. She told me that one of the 4 beds sold at £199k, though I am not sure how recently that was.

Though this property has the advantage of actually looking down the road and not directly onto another property and also with the two smaller houses next to it means your living areas are not directly joined with the neighbours as they live downstairs and you live upstairs.

Can I go back on my word as regards the offer?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is ex rental. It was on originally at £190k and was dropped to £185k. She told me that one of the 4 beds sold at £199k, though I am not sure how recently that was.

Though this property has the advantage of actually looking down the road and not directly onto another property and also with the two smaller houses next to it means your living areas are not directly joined with the neighbours as they live downstairs and you live upstairs.

That damp townhouse further down the embankment that I mentioned - I did a load of searches in the LPS offices prior to viewing it and the sale prices, for identical houses, varied between £170K and £350K depending on the year.

I'm not telling you to offer less, but beware EA's trying to let on you're getting a bargain. If it was such a huge bargain you'd not be the only one offering.

Edited by JoeDavola

Head down to the Land registry, pay 2 quid, and you might get lucky and see what they actually paid if you know the house number they said went for 199.

You can pull out or change your offer until the point you exchange contracts.

Head down to the Land registry, pay 2 quid, and you might get lucky and see what they actually paid if you know the house number they said went for 199.

You can pull out or change your offer until the point you exchange contracts.

It's 5 quid a search, but still well worth it.

Pick say 10 houses in the development identical to yours, and pay the 50 quid to search them all. That's what I did to get a range of figures for the townhouses. Only half to a third of them will have sale prices, but it's worth it because it could put you in a good bargaining position.

EDIT - sod it, pick 20 houses and pay £100. What's £100 in contrast with a £200K spend.

Edited by JoeDavola

Ok I will get the details tomorrow from the land registry. It will be interesting to see if it sold at 199.

Hope you get your info - regardless of what you offer, I think that house is, relatively speaking, far better value than those 2 bed flats at the bakery are, so congrats. I've had my eye on those town houses a while but I don't think they're right for me right now (as in I don't need that much space), but I definitely see the appeal.

Edited by JoeDavola

Hope you get your info - regardless of what you offer, I think that house is, relatively speaking, far better value than those 2 bed flats at the bakery are, so congrats. I've had my eye on those town houses a while but I don't think they're right for me right now (as in I don't need that much space), but I definitely see the appeal.

Yes I completely agree with that. I also have heard negative reviews of M B Wilson who are the management company of the Bakery.

I'm not sure you'll ever buy Joe. Nothing wrong with that BTW.

Yes I completely agree with that. I also have heard negative reviews of M B Wilson who are the management company of the Bakery.

I love renting my flat, but I've heard plenty of horror stories about various management companies in various Belfast blocks that would make me wary of owning one.

When you move in you can let us know what the place is like and you never know a fellow HPC-er might be your neighbor some day!

I'm not sure you'll ever buy Joe. Nothing wrong with that BTW.

I have it too good at the moment - less than £500 a month for a great one bed flat, all the space I need and 0 running/maintenance/travel costs.

But yes, I'm an indecisive sod.

Or am I? ;)

Edited by JoeDavola

Agents on the whole are weasels. The transactional nature of their business makes them inherently dishonest. Most of them just want you to pay as much as possible so their percentage cut is worth more. If you really want the property and are ok with the price then we'll done.

If you are having doubts for any reason then contact the agent and tell them that based on what you now know you are withdrawing your asking price offer (in this case to have metal bars fitted to all windows and doors and to buy a bullet proof vest) but that you would stand by the previous one for a week to give the vendor time to think about it. That shows that you are prepared to walk away from the house and also that you are being rational. Asking about other viewing similar priced properties once you offer expires would help sure up your negotiating position.

If you go down that route then ask your solicitor to pause work on your file in case it doesn't work out.

The vendors might be pissed off but if they are rational they ought to seriously consider a reasoned change of offer.

Viewing the area at varying time of day/night is a must. Certain crimes are much more likely when it is dark and quiet. Feral Kids are more likely to be kicking a ball against cars/walls/houses in early evening etc

Agents on the whole are weasels. The transactional nature of their business makes them inherently dishonest. Most of them just want you to pay as much as possible so their percentage cut is worth more. If you really want the property and are ok with the price then we'll done.

If you are having doubts for any reason then contact the agent and tell them that based on what you now know you are withdrawing your asking price offer (in this case to have metal bars fitted to all windows and doors and to buy a bullet proof vest) but that you would stand by the previous one for a week to give the vendor time to think about it. That shows that you are prepared to walk away from the house and also that you are being rational. Asking about other viewing similar priced properties once you offer expires would help sure up your negotiating position.

If you go down that route then ask your solicitor to pause work on your file in case it doesn't work out.

The vendors might be pissed off but if they are rational they ought to seriously consider a reasoned change of offer.

Viewing the area at varying time of day/night is a must. Certain crimes are much more likely when it is dark and quiet. Feral Kids are more likely to be kicking a ball against cars/walls/houses in early evening etc

I doubt the agent is concerned about the house selling at £190k or £200k, as long as he gets it sold.

The difference in his commission between Selling at £190k and £200k is going to work out at about £10, assuming the agent gets 10% of the agents selling fee, which at most will be 1% of the selling price.

The only way I see him trying all the tricks to get £200k is if the vendor has told him we won't accept anything less than that. Then, the agent is incentivised to do anything he can to get an offer of £200k, as anything lower makes him 10% of £0.

I put in an offer for the 15 Annadale Square town house and it has been accepted. The house itself is perfect for me and is the best one I have found yet.

Last night I was browsing the online crime stats to compare the area to Stranmillis and I am having second thoughts about the property because of its location. I have attached four images to this post. The first image shows the total crime rates for each area. The second image is of a map referencing each area. The third and fourth images are each area zoomed in with markers for where violent and sexual crimes have been reported. On the fourth image the house location is the pink icon. As you can see 10 violent and sexual crimes occurred as you approach the property. As I do not drive I fear I am at greater risk of being attacked as I approach the property compared to if I lived in Stranmillis.

I would like to know if you guys think I should pull out of the sale based on these crime statistics.

There are 892 separate NISOA areas in total for Northern Ireland. Here are where each of the five areas rank for crime rates compared to NI as a whole, with one being the worst area and 892 the safest area.

Ballynafeigh_3 = 87/892

Rosetta_1 = 268/892
Ballynafeigh_2 = 350/892
Stranmillis_4 = 430/892
Stranmillis_1 = 818/892

Bukz8sl.jpg

YVFihJV.jpg

M6wbQdC.jpg

yeXC15E.jpg

What website did you use to get this data?

There is a semi for sale in Ashley Avenue so I put the postcode, BT9 7BU, into the first link - correct me if I'm wrong but those figures don't look good?

That postcode falls under Windsor_4 and is listed as the 78th worst crime rate for all of NI, based on figures from Oct 2011 to June 2016. It is even higher than the Annadale Flat area of the Ormeau road which is 85th. So does not seem particularly good.

That postcode falls under Windsor_4 and is listed as the 78th worst crime rate for all of NI, based on figures from Oct 2011 to June 2016. It is even higher than the Annadale Flat area of the Ormeau road which is 85th. So does not seem particularly good.

That maybe explains why it's taking so long for that house to sell!