House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

justthisbloke

Favourite Rail Journeys

The M25 thread seems to be deviating onto a "nice motorway drives" track. So here's a rail (or bus, I suppose) alternative.

My most recently used favourite was a trip along the coast at Dawlish. When the weather is good, the view is fantastic. Please excuse the cranky old-style train in the photo - they're a bit nicer these days.

_72765283_train-larger.jpg

Gets a bit scary almost when there's a sou' westerly blowing

10950000-large.jpg

If you're on an old fashioned InterCity 125, the food and wine are good. And the new trains should be even better.

Any other favourite trips?

Newport to Stockport via Church Stretton.

My most recently used favourite was a trip along the coast at Dawlish. When the weather is good, the view is fantastic. Please excuse the cranky old-style train in the photo - they're a bit nicer these days.

Any other favourite trips?

Great railway ride, that was near to where the track had to be rebuilt because of storms, so close to the edge.

The Spanish rail journey is also a good scenic journey.

Dawlish looks fantastic.

A few years ago I was in France and had to travel from Toulouse to Clermont Ferrand - the least worst option was a DMU that took 6 hours (IIRC) and was scheduled to stop at every telegraph pole.

What I didn't realise was how great the journey was going to be. A quick dig on YouTube dug up just this one video (watch from 7:30 onwards):

Which is really speeded up, and doesn't convey the magic of the trip: a diesel train struggling up a wooded valley, often at barely 30mph, trees everywhere, and nothing human bar the train line - if you look at the video you should notice the absence of fields, no road alongside the tracks, etc...

There was something magical about a train put-putting along, branches rubbing against the window, in a narrow valley with no roads, no constructions. The only other human life were the occasional tourists rafting down the river next to the line.

And this seemed to go on for hour after hour - I had no idea that the centre of France was so empty.

Oh... and cellphone coverage was inexistent. Can you imagine stretches of up to 30 minutes in a train without once picking up a signal?

I like Dawlish.

I like the Esk Valley in NY too. You start in Whitby and end up in Mboro red light district. Something changes about Great Ayton.

I like Hull->Scarborough. Wolds are great!.

I like going over the Tyne bridge.

I like going over the Forth bridge + the Dundee Tay crossing.

Id like to have a bash as the highlands when I get some time.

I like Dawlish.

I like the Esk Valley in NY too. You start in Whitby and end up in Mboro red light district. Something changes about Great Ayton.

I like Hull->Scarborough. Wolds are great!.

I like going over the Tyne bridge.

I like going over the Forth bridge + the Dundee Tay crossing.

Id like to have a bash as the highlands when I get some time.

As long as the boro train is not the last one on a Saturday night....

I need to find an excuse for a train trip. Now I'm unemployed I don't have any biz travel excuse. Worse, I don't have an employer to cover the tab for my First Class habit.

I'd love to see Scotland from a train.

Boros getting a terrible rep for basic scum travelling to palces and destroying them.

Its got noticable i nthe last 10 years. I guess boro has been destroyed as a decent night out - both by the boro scum and the misc scum the council have housed as refugees there.

I keep explaining to a Yokr mate that the people causing the problems are not Geordies.

Yorks only 1h by train. They get 100s who travel down and behvase lie they are in boro.

All the trains to + from boro are now dry and policed.

The East Coast main line from Newcastle to Edinburgh passes through some stunning scenery providing the weather is right

I was on the Aberdeen one once when it had to stop in th middle of Northumberland for 30 minutes as the wind was rocking the train too much.

Still not as bad as the x93.

Another mate story - used to rip the p1ssout of me for the people he'd seen on the Whitby bus.

They're all from Brambles Farm Id say!

To people from York, boro accents sound like Geordies.

To people from Scabby, boro accents sound like Whitby ones.

Still not as bad as the x93.

Another mate story - used to rip the p1ssout of me for the people he'd seen on the Whitby bus.

They're all from Brambles Farm Id say!

To people from York, boro accents sound like Geordies.

To people from Scabby, boro accents sound like Whitby ones.

Not a train but the x93 goes through some stunning scenery. Was planning to catch it to bay and the walk back but you have rather put me off lol.

Re York, took my kids there shopping a few years ago and the kept commenting on the number of chavs. Used to be posh did York, but guess it might be the day trippers from boro

Not a train but the x93 goes through some stunning scenery. Was planning to catch it to bay and the walk back but you have rather put me off lol.

Re York, took my kids there shopping a few years ago and the kept commenting on the number of chavs. Used to be posh did York, but guess it might be the day trippers from boro

Race day is fight night!

York attracts two different sets of problems - ruddy faced young farmers from around the Wolds, on the p1ss.

People from boro.

There;s stag + hen does but they tend to be mainly from boro to, with the odd party from Wakey.

Just avoid the first 'free for passes' x93 and the last one back from Scabby and you're fine.

I miss the pointless detour the odd 93 used to do thru Harwood dale.

Race day is fight night!

York attracts two different sets of problems - ruddy faced young farmers from around the Wolds, on the p1ss.

People from boro.

There;s stag + hen does but they tend to be mainly from boro to, with the odd party from Wakey.

Just avoid the first 'free for passes' x93 and the last one back from Scabby and you're fine.

I miss the pointless detour the odd 93 used to do thru Harwood dale.

This was shopping. The chavs were in packs descending on primark and the likes

Interesting point about the 93, what stopped me was that taking dogs (got an elderly lab who still likes her walks) was 'at the discretion of the driver'. Guess that doesn't apply to chavs then

You see things from a train, that don't exist on a road! :blink:

This was shopping. The chavs were in packs descending on primark and the likes

Interesting point about the 93, what stopped me was that taking dogs (got an elderly lab who still likes her walks) was 'at the discretion of the driver'. Guess that doesn't apply to chavs then

Oh I know. The scum are p1ssed by 2pm. Youll see people p1ssing in doorways a la kick out time at 3pm in York. Its fcking disgusting.

As far as walks one of the best local ones - mainly as it goes thru my favourite it of Whitby - is up the railway track to Ruswarp.

I try and organse a taxi to go back from the Mill Inn - its one of my favourite pubs - its just wierd.

The other places that I stumbled on are the Bhryterston Inn out of Cloughton, towards Scar, and the Moor **** up Langdale End, which is like the old moor pubs used to be - basic.

Oh I know. The scum are p1ssed by 2pm. Youll see people p1ssing in doorways a la kick out time at 3pm in York. Its fcking disgusting.

As far as walks one of the best local ones - mainly as it goes thru my favourite it of Whitby - is up the railway track to Ruswarp.

I try and organse a taxi to go back from the Mill Inn - its one of my favourite pubs - its just wierd.

The other places that I stumbled on are the Bhryterston Inn out of Cloughton, towards Scar, and the Moor **** up Langdale End, which is like the old moor pubs used to be - basic.

Going way off topic here. Yes, agree favourite walk is the runs warp one, but I do it the other way. Stakesby, over fields to ruswarp, into town, pier, captain cooks, cliff, Stakesby. Another is Goathland circular to darnholm, beck hole, Goathland. The other fav is devils elbow to horseshoe at levisham.

Don't know mill inn?

That old picture isn't that Dawlish stretch today, though . Nor even before it got washed out to sea two and a half years ago. Though it's recognisably the same landscape, either the cliff or the course of the railway has changed.

Sadly it's a stupidly unmaintainable stretch. Not just the line but the whole train goes under the waves when a bit of rough weather coincides with high tide. The southwest needs the other old line (from Exeter to Plymouth via Okehampton and Tavistock) reopened. That one skirts around Dartmoor and features some fine scenery too.

When you get to Plymouth on that line, the Tamar Valley line to Gunnislake is another fine ride featuring two fine viaducts and some scenery. Further west in Cornwall are more fine branch lines, like the Looe Valley.

There's a slightly comparable coastal stretch on the east coast main line near Berwick. But that goes along the top of the cliff, and looks a whole lot less precarious.

One more that was once my stomping ground and deserves a mention: the Hope Valley line between Sheffield and Manchester. The heart of the Peak District.

Ah, yes. It's been a long time but I've been on the Hope Valley line. Wonderful views and gets you up into the hills for walking/climbing. Good connections from all over the country at Sheffield and Manchester.

I've always quite liked the Southampton to Cardiff line, particularly the bit through the Avon valley when it sweeps into Bath.

Further afield, some great train journeys in Switzerland, as long as you pick a day when the clouds aren't too low.