House Price Crash Forum

An Eruv For Hale

SarahBell

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-36985433

The Hale Eruv Project Trust has lodged a planning application for the 12-mile perimeter around the Trafford village.
An eruv is an area enclosed by a symbolic and physical boundary that allows orthodox religious Jews to carry or push certain items outside of their homes on the Sabbath.
However, a multi-faith group has claimed it will create community "tension" and benefit only 100 people.

Was on news last night. Said over 500 objections to it.

Though shalt not push on the Sabbath!

Under Jewish law (Torah), it is forbidden to carry everyday items such as reading glasses or house keys or push a wheelchair or pushchair between sundown on Friday and sundown on Saturday.

These are allowed within an eruv although carrying money or a mobile phone or going to shops, the cinema or taking part in sport are still prohibited.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

2 mile radius for 100 people seems a bit expansive.

But why not?

I'm all for communities doing their own thing; church bells ringing, muezzins calling, synagogues doing whatever synagogues do, etc.

Much better than Clone UK.

HOLA445

2 mile radius for 100 people seems a bit expansive.

I'm all for communities doing their own thing; church bells ringing, muezzins calling, synagogues doing whatever synagogues do, etc.

When is a community a community - Which bit of the 10,000 people in that 2 mile radius make up the community?

HOLA446
HOLA447

I heard of one of these in London, it seems a really odd concept.

If you are a devout Jew then you need to follow all the rules on a Saturday. Fair enough.

If however you are in an eruv then you don't have to.

Why if you're devout would you not actively want to follow all the rules anyway? It doesn't add up at all IMHO.

HOLA448

If you are a devout Jew then you need to follow all the rules on a Saturday. Fair enough.

Why if you're devout would you not actively want to follow all the rules anyway? It doesn't add up at all IMHO.

It doesn't add up and it's wrong!

Believe you want to, but don't ask for exceptions!

HOLA449

When is a community a community - Which bit of the 10,000 people in that 2 mile radius make up the community?

Who cares? Does their religious washing line cause anyone else any bother?

There's a small case to be made that it'll be ugly and damage the street scene but I'd have to be convinced it was qualitatively different to the poles and wires already there.

I'm assuming, of course that they'll be paying for everything and not expecting Ye Eternally Generous Taxpayer to pay for poles, wiring, maintenance, pavement space rent etc.

If, OTOH, they ain't paying their way then they can poke off. IMO.

HOLA4410

Who cares? Does their religious washing line cause anyone else any bother?

There's a small case to be made that it'll be ugly and damage the street scene but I'd have to be convinced it was qualitatively different to the poles and wires already there.

I'm assuming, of course that they'll be paying for everything and not expecting Ye Eternally Generous Taxpayer to pay for poles, wiring, maintenance, pavement space rent etc.

If, OTOH, they ain't paying their way then they can poke off. IMO.

They are making themselves conspicuous Mr JT Bloke. Not a good thing!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

It doesn't add up and it's wrong!

Believe you want to, but don't ask for exceptions!

Not just me then!

I exaggerate for the sake of effect but it's like saying you must follow the ten commandments but if you give the Isle of Wight some special religious status then only eight of them apply there.

Why, if you are a religious believer who believes that the ten commandments are the word of the Lord, would you do that? Why would you even want to do that?

HOLA4413

Yep.

It is a completely bizarre concept particularly as Jews who find strict orthodox rules burdensome can always join Reformed or Liberal synagogues.

HOLA4414

They are making themselves conspicuous Mr JT Bloke. Not a good thing!

Conspicuousness isn't my cup of tea but I don't see why I should dictate my world to other people[1].

Besides, church towers and bells are hardly inconspicuous. Or, on the secular side, neither are the shopping mall temples to material consumerism.

[1] It'd be a jolly nice world, though. Well, for me it would be. All my slaves might not agree.

HOLA4415

No idea if this is part of it, but there's a whole anti-semitism industry out there. That is, an agenda to find as much anti-semitism as possible, including by generating it if necessary.

A pointless gesture could easily fit that Agenda. People who oppose it are denying jews their cultural customs. Oppressing them. Threatening them. Obviously hate them. And if the application (whatever it is) gets refused, that's institutional antisemitism.

HOLA4416

I like chuchtowers and bells, otherwise I wouldn't live here. They only go off on Sunday except for practising, which is always followed by the pub. Religion is thirsty work!

HOLA4417

No idea if this is part of it, but there's a whole anti-semitism industry out there. That is, an agenda to find as much anti-semitism as possible, including by generating it if necessary.

A pointless gesture could easily fit that Agenda. People who oppose it are denying jews their cultural customs. Oppressing them. Threatening them. Obviously hate them. And if the application (whatever it is) gets refused, that's institutional antisemitism.

I oppose this lunacy and I am a bit Jewish!

HOLA4418

Not just me then!

I exaggerate for the sake of effect but it's like saying you must follow the ten commandments but if you give the Isle of Wight some special religious status then only eight of them apply there.

Why, if you are a religious believer who believes that the ten commandments are the word of the Lord, would you do that? Why would you even want to do that?

Careful - I think there is one commandment that doesn't apply on the Isle of Wight already (or so someone recently alluded to)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Careful - I think there is one commandment that doesn't apply on the Isle of Wight already (or so someone recently alluded to)

Oh, and that's where Bossybabe lives.

I will stop using that as an example.

Hopefully nobody on here lives in the Isle of Man so I can use that instead.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Isn't this a bit like a group of monkeys trying to get Hartlepool made a noose-free zone..?

XYY

Well I can't see this happening in the middle of the Nurenberg horse trials

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived