Housing Benefit For 3 Extra Bedrooms Please

HOLA441
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Their kids have left home - so sadly it's time to move.

Yep! Boomers in their large mtg free houses are bad enough, but when they want HB to pay the rent that takes the Mickey!

HOLA444
HOLA445

Yep! Boomers in their large mtg free houses are bad enough, but when they want HB to pay the rent that takes the Mickey!

You will be wanting me to downgrade from my Merc S class next just because the kids aren't in the back anymore.

Totally agree re HB, but an asset I have paid for and when I last looked it was a free country? A littke light boomer bashing for the weekend don't you get bored with it ?

HOLA446

You will be wanting me to downgrade from my Merc S class next just because the kids aren't in the back anymore.

Totally agree re HB, but an asset I have paid for and when I last looked it was a free country? A littke light boomer bashing for the weekend don't you get bored with it ?

Jeez it's not aimed at you personally! Please caveat any reference to boomers I make with...

* only refers to the gloating ones with immense sense of hardship and entitlement. Some boomers are fine and can be excluded from my anger.

HOLA447

The article is riddled with the language of dependency.

Look how having their own earnings and income is described as a negative:

Penny's part-time income counts against them when it comes to their entitlement.

HOLA448

Why is the taxpayer subsidising their 4 bedroom home?

1. They are old enough to have been able to get on the ownership ladder when prices were still 'reasonable'.

2. Kids have left home they have no right to expect taxpayer support for accommodation far to big for them.

The sense of entitlement is strong in this one.

They made their bed with their life choices now they have to lie in it.....

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Incredible just how removed from real life some people's expectations of what a social security safety net is supposed to provide. A 4 bedroom house for a couple is a ridculous thing to expect social security to pay.

I guess they just expect my family to pay more tax and live in smaller accomodation to fund their 3 spare bedrooms

HOLA4412

I just followed the link to 'entitledto ' website (name says it all really) that works out benefits. Put some random numbers in:

Couple

4 kids under 12

Renting privately in London

One person working, earning 1,500 per month and paying into private pension

The benefit entitlement is 554 PER WEEK and when UC is brought in IT GOES UP slightly.

No wonder the country is fooked

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Working???

One managung a parttime job is not working.

Put them in a bedsit.

Pretty obvious this one isnt it.When the kids were at home she worked 16 hours and they gouged the tax credits and full HB.They will of been pulling in £600+ a week.Kids leave home,she still works 16 hours,husband cant get a job because he hasnt worked for so long.Only benefit available now housing benefit based on Local Housing rates in Bristol for a couple,no kids is £484.76.When they had the three kids at home it was £1050 or £761 if we assume two of the children shared a room.They will still get full housing benefit as the means test doesnt kick in until £120 a week earnings,but the rent is £900 and the max for the area is £484.So they need to use all her wages for the rest of the rent.

The reason they say they might move to a one bed flat is because thats all the housing benefit will cover.Good news for taxpayers though is if her lazy husband does get a job,his will be means tested at 60% for the Housing benefit because her wage already takes them to the edge of the means test.

This couple is a prime example of people who have a good few children and sit on theit backsides working 16 or 21 hours gouging tax credits for years,only to find out once the kids leave home the benefits system doesnt give you much and your 50 years old with no home owned,no good job,no pension,no savings etc.

Browns vote for me system delays poverty.Most people would be better off long term if it didnt exist,or was far less generous.

HOLA4416

Jeez it's not aimed at you personally! Please caveat any reference to boomers I make with...

* only refers to the gloating ones with immense sense of hardship and entitlement. Some boomers are fine and can be excluded from my anger.

Joshing fella and actually I have met more boomer twunts proportionally than in other generations, I used to be a bit like that but actually have been heavily influenced by the views of other generations on this site which I am very grateful for

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Incredible just how removed from real life some people's expectations of what a social security safety net is supposed to provide. A 4 bedroom house for a couple is a ridculous thing to expect social security to pay.

I guess they just expect my family to pay more tax and live in smaller accomodation to fund their 3 spare bedrooms

+1

HOLA4419

Its when ghe kids luve education. Even if their 18+ kids wrre still at home thryd have had benefits cut.

Who woulc employ a50+ yo with a 15 hole in his cv?

So, what exactly have you done for the last 12 years? Cash in hand labouring.

HOLA4420

Its when ghe kids luve education. Even if their 18+ kids wrre still at home thryd have had benefits cut.

Who woulc employ a50+ yo with a 15 hole in his cv?

So, what exactly have you done for the last 12 years? Cash in hand labouring.

Yep,that couple have had the free lunch,now its time to pay the piper.Even if they both work now,they are trapped unless they can get wages very high.

They are lucky the kids left home.I used to get a lot of single mothers coming in for advice who's kids (mostly sons,daughters have their own kids at 16/17) left college or booted out and tax credits stop.They then have 16/17/18 year olds at home and getting no money for them.No dole of course because they mostly get sanctioned or should be at college,and if they do get it wont give their mothers any.

Its around now that the tax credit generation are starting to be affected by kids going over 18/leaving education etc the most because they changed their behaviour due to the free money.

HOLA4421

My kids lollypop lady has just hit yhis. 18 son just finished college, started (low paid) work.

She has acrappy 2 bed LHA flat but still has had to hive up her looypop and cleaning jobs 16h a week. Shes now on the hook for working to pay rent anc living costs. Shes going to go from 16h week + school hols off to 52 weeks, 60h at NMW. If don leaves home she'll need to earn his kickin money as well.

HOLA4422

Durhamborn and spy, it kind of explains why I'm seeing older couples, late forties, suddenly start a second family. A friend of mine lives in a very posh new build oop north and the family next door, about the third wife, he's in his 70s and three young kids, one well under 10. That's him sorted until death

HOLA4423

tordspot? i can think of a couple of families with v olddad + younger munter, luving the TC dream.

tordspots economy is opfimised for TCs. Lots of little seasonal jobs.

I cime from the geneation that had to leave due to lack of work. My younger bros lot have stayed as TCsmake it doable. But they are all bring up fa!ilies onNMW jobs. Stop TCs or change hours and earnings and theyre fcked.

Theres a notable change with people curently 40+ ,had to leave. And those in the early 30s whod have been 20 when TCs started. So many avon consultants.... 16h only jobs. Fcked the economy over. You cannot recruit many employable people will to work 38h. Scampi fsctory pay roll is insane all partimers.

HOLA4424

Durhamborn and spy, it kind of explains why I'm seeing older couples, late forties, suddenly start a second family. A friend of mine lives in a very posh new build oop north and the family next door, about the third wife, he's in his 70s and three young kids, one well under 10. That's him sorted until death

Theres a massive boom in Downs births.

HOLA4425

Yep, tord spot. Given the figures Durhamborn has explained and they playing with the benefits website I did, I don't see how this mess can be unraveled without totally crashing the economy. Especially in places like tord spot. I left too due to lack of work. It is even worse now for work with what industry that was there being flattened to make way for sainsburys and home base = nmw jobs. Yet, everyone is driving round in new posh cars and it feels much wealthier