House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Time to raise the rents.

Hmo Licensing Not As Bad As I Thought....

As I posted in December, I gave a guy from my council a tour of my places in Dec. He came back to me yesterday with a verdict of what I'll need to do to meet the requirements to be licensed later this year.

For all but 1 property, all is fine and no work is required. For 1 property, I need to install interlinked smoke alarms on each landing, which activate each other if there is a fire in one part of the building.

This is a far cry from what I expected. I expected fire doors, industrial standard fire alarms with a sensor in every room in the building, larger fire extinguishers (I already have smaller ones in the places) & maybe a few unknowns. Potential bill I was expecting (and hoping to get grant funding for) was up to 5k per place. I'm now looking at about £500 or less in total.

I questioned what he'd decided from the visit as it didn't meet my expectations. He said that the houses were low risk and that the precautions needed were therefore minimal.

Had I been renting them as bedsits, the risk would probably have been different because the tenants don't always know each other & communicate with each other & therefore the increased precautions would have been necessary.

So IMO this might be a boost to the rental market, because if the govt concentrate on high risk places, tenants may be pushed towards more standard forms of renting rather than cramming into bedsit houses. So this may also be good for tenants even though they may end up paying a little more per person, there is a possibility that some of the lower standard housing in the UK may be erased from the market.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

This is a far cry from what I expected. I expected fire doors, industrial standard fire alarms with a sensor in every room in the building, larger fire extinguishers (I already have smaller ones in the places) & maybe a few unknowns. Potential bill I was expecting (and hoping to get grant funding for) was up to 5k per place. I'm now looking at about £500 or less in total.

TTRTR make sure you get a registered Fire Alarm Company to do the work who will issue the appropriate certificate. I think a little more than £500, never go cheap on fire matters and make sure the system is maintained and checked as required. Your Insurance Company may insist on it as it is best to inform them when completed.