House Price Crash Forum
copydude

'i Want You Back'. Eastern Europe Wants Its Workers To Come Home

Bloomberg

Latvia, Poland, Romania campaign to bring workers home

Eastern Europe is borrowing a line from the Jackson 5 as it bids to turn a tide of emigration that’s eroding its economic prospects and compounding an already-gloomy demographic outlook.

“I want you back” is the slogan Latvia has chosen to lure home citizens who’ve upped sticks to Europe’s west in search of more job opportunities and higher salaries.

Poland’s Return program offers tips on jobs, housing and health care, while Romania is teaming up with private business, offering scholarships and hosting employment fairs to tempt back talented citizens. The campaigns have gained fresh impetus after the Brexit vote threw into doubt the future status of foreign workers in the U.K.

Chronic labour shortages in Hungary too

Tesco and other retailing chains are struggling to hire enough employees even after increasing wages, so much so that the retailing giant (and Hungary’s largest employer) is holding a crisis council today, reports daily online nol.hu.

Customers visiting Tesco’s first stand-alone store in Budapest’s District 14 in July encountered row after row of empty shelves owing to a lack of employees, particularly in its central warehouse.

The labour situation has reached the point where Tesco invited trade union leaders to attend the crisis council to address the chronic shortage of workers at its central warehouse facility in Gyál.

My local Tesco has had similar problems. At times going in there has felt like a trip to 80s Russia. Massive reduction in lines, and many shelves either empty or with a single product carefully teetering at the front edge of the shelf to make it look fuller.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Funny how the Polish PM and other reps were absolutely steadfast in making sure the UK paid its Polish citizens full benefits - now they want them back because of a labour shortage. Reminds me of this :-

On a observation from workski -> cahvski -> skumski.

The locla paper had a feature on homeless. It featured a couple from Poland. To me they are not homeless, they are in the wrong country.

Thearticle then went on to comment that they been here 10 years, worked for 2, then lot there job. Then it said they had there 3 kids took off them the social - you might want to stop at this point and think how much tax these 2 have paid - fall - and how much their stay has cost UK tax payer - ~30k/year each kid.

The paper left out why the kids had been took off them. I asked a Polish woman I know, who had spoken to them - They are both drunks.

As Ive said many times. Im OK with people coming over here and working. I dont want tax credits full stop. I definitely dont want to e paying out to all of EE.

The state the UK is in insnae - we are subbing most of EE to work in made up jobs.

Now we are paying EE dossers too.

I wonder if the EE countries have thought of topping up the workers wage with an extra £1000/month from the countries tax payers.

Seems to work for the UK in attracting workers ....

Bloomberg

Eastern Europe is borrowing a line from the Jackson 5 as it bids to turn a tide of emigration that’s eroding its economic prospects and compounding an already-gloomy demographic outlook.

“I want you back” is the slogan Latvia has chosen to lure home citizens who’ve upped sticks to Europe’s west in search of more job opportunities and higher salaries.

Poland’s Return program offers tips on jobs, housing and health care, while Romania is teaming up with private business, offering scholarships and hosting employment fairs to tempt back talented citizens. The campaigns have gained fresh impetus after the Brexit vote threw into doubt the future status of foreign workers in the U.K.

Tesco and other retailing chains are struggling to hire enough employees even after increasing wages, so much so that the retailing giant (and Hungary’s largest employer) is holding a crisis council today, reports daily online nol.hu.

Customers visiting Tesco’s first stand-alone store in Budapest’s District 14 in July encountered row after row of empty shelves owing to a lack of employees, particularly in its central warehouse.

The labour situation has reached the point where Tesco invited trade union leaders to attend the crisis council to address the chronic shortage of workers at its central warehouse facility in Gyál.

RED TEXT ADDED BY ME

One thing about Romaina that I know from watching youtube videos by a Romanian Doctor (and poltical commentator) by the name Vee, is that Romania pays absolute shit. Mayb now, the locals will get wage increases, lifiting their economy and luring some workers back. This was bound to happen eventually. You can't simply have a a free trade free movement between grossly different economies without these problems arrising.

I know Latvia has lost one third of it's population due to migration to W.E, somethign that has left it's abour pool severely depleted. These countries will have to up their game or face bankrupcy as their pension liabilities increase and their labour worker base decreases.

This leads me to another topic I have been pondering.

Throught the deveolped world we are seing aging populations in nations with generous pension packages. The UK has it's triple lock pension, whilst it's young can't afford entry level homes (and by extension children). Spanish and German fertility rates can be compared to those or Korea and Japan, which are abysmal. Each nation has their own type of solution. For example Germany, under Merkel has opted for opening the floodgates to the third world. You can argue that this has backfired, but I can't place the fault entirely on Merkel, for this has been the German strategy for many years. If you look at Germany in the past you will find that similar guest worker programs worked quite well with South Koreans. Unfortunately Afghans are not South Koreans, and there is no chance that these will go back to their homeland. [see the Korean film Ode To My Father, which shows the life of a S.Korean man going to Germany to mine coal for five years to raise money for the family]

Other nations like Japan have opted for no immigrants, placing it's bets on robotics. Given that Japan is overpopulated, this seems like a good bet.

I reckon that somewhere down the line, governments will be competing for working age populations of other nations, mainly those of other wester nations who can adapt better to the local culture. Perhaps then my Generation can find some meaningful work and inexpensive housing, be it rental or otherwise.

I am seriously considering looking for work in E.E. WHilst wages may be lower, housing and tax are substantially lower. Maybe then I can buy a house, save some money and have kids of my own.

Hungary looks alright, it seem's preety safe compared to Germany right now.

I raised this point ages ago. Whilst on the face of it proclaiming freedom of movement is the best thing since sliced bread - the leaders of places like Poland must be livid that many of their keen young people ****** off to the uk as soon as they can.

I am seriously considering looking for work in E.E. WHilst wages may be lower, housing and tax are substantially lower. Maybe then I can buy a house, save some money and have kids of my own.

Hungary looks alright, it seem's preety safe compared to Germany right now.

There'kk probably be a rule or some hideen barrier to doing any of that.

And you wont be able to claim any benefits.

EE countries, in the main, really dont foreign people living there.

Oh the irony.

Bloomberg

RED TEXT ADDED BY ME

One thing about Romaina that I know from watching youtube videos by a Romanian Doctor (and poltical commentator) by the name Vee, is that Romania pays absolute shit. Mayb now, the locals will get wage increases, lifiting their economy and luring some workers back. This was bound to happen eventually. You can't simply have a a free trade free movement between grossly different economies without these problems arrising.

I know Latvia has lost one third of it's population due to migration to W.E, somethign that has left it's abour pool severely depleted. These countries will have to up their game or face bankrupcy as their pension liabilities increase and their labour worker base decreases.

This leads me to another topic I have been pondering.

Throught the deveolped world we are seing aging populations in nations with generous pension packages. The UK has it's triple lock pension, whilst it's young can't afford entry level homes (and by extension children). Spanish and German fertility rates can be compared to those or Korea and Japan, which are abysmal. Each nation has their own type of solution. For example Germany, under Merkel has opted for opening the floodgates to the third world. You can argue that this has backfired, but I can't place the fault entirely on Merkel, for this has been the German strategy for many years. If you look at Germany in the past you will find that similar guest worker programs worked quite well with South Koreans. Unfortunately Afghans are not South Koreans, and there is no chance that these will go back to their homeland. [see the Korean film Ode To My Father, which shows the life of a S.Korean man going to Germany to mine coal for five years to raise money for the family]

Other nations like Japan have opted for no immigrants, placing it's bets on robotics. Given that Japan is overpopulated, this seems like a good bet.

I reckon that somewhere down the line, governments will be competing for working age populations of other nations, mainly those of other wester nations who can adapt better to the local culture. Perhaps then my Generation can find some meaningful work and inexpensive housing, be it rental or otherwise.

Oh I put the door at Merkel for the her fkchedaed approach at making up the demographics.

Importing people from poor, tribal strongly Muslim countries oes not work. Save the Germans the hassle and take them to Bradford.

Actually, the Visegrad countries are anti-immigration.

Hungary spent 26m on state propaganda, a large chunk on an anti-refugee campaign. At the same time, it's attitude towards Romainians isn't exactly friendly.

Stories such as:

Village of Alsónémedi to ethnically cleanse itself of Romanian gypsies

and the curious

Creepy scarecrows erected at Hungarian border to keep refugees out

(they say it works)

The simple fact is that these souls packed out our GDP figures and created that fabled "recovery".

If they start drifting back it'll make it look like the country is in recession, expect BOE to punish unleash massive QE and deep negative interest. The underlying figures will improve as the cost of supporting the fake recovery ease however those figures drag and won't be evident for several years by which time Carney will have wreaked the economy.

On a observation from workski -> cahvski -> skumski.

The locla paper had a feature on homeless. It featured a couple from Poland. To me they are not homeless, they are in the wrong country.

Thearticle then went on to comment that they been here 10 years, worked for 2, then lot there job. Then it said they had there 3 kids took off them the social - you might want to stop at this point and think how much tax these 2 have paid - fall - and how much their stay has cost UK tax payer - ~30k/year each kid.

The paper left out why the kids had been took off them. I asked a Polish woman I know, who had spoken to them - They are both drunks.

As Ive said many times. Im OK with people coming over here and working. I dont want tax credits full stop. I definitely dont want to e paying out to all of EE.

The state the UK is in insnae - we are subbing most of EE to work in made up jobs.

Now we are paying EE dossers too.

On a tactical level you are probably right on a pure financial level nonsense in general strong fit Eastern Europeans do nor come here to claim benefits although if they are available I expect they claim them, I am 2nd generation Lithuanian so have had numerous conversations

In fact the Telegraph not a liberal newspaper puts the stats at this a couple of years ago :

"In 2014, 4.9 million (92.6 per cent) working age benefit claimants were British while only 131,000 (2.5 per cent) were EU nationals. The number of recipients from outside of the UK — but not from the EU — was 264,000 (five per cent).

Likewise, in the latest data from 2013 for those tax credits, 3.9 million (84.8 per cent) families receiving the benefits were British citizens, 302,000 (6.4 per cent) were EU citizens and 413,000 (8.8 per cent) were from outside of the UK."

There are a far greater proportion of lifestyle benefit slobs who are born and bred in the UK, you see them everywhere, from totally fat slob whole families to gaggle toothed single mum slags with 5 kids from different fathers

Clamping down on the benefits this lowlife get would be the most effective measure and kill two birds with one stone.

How about working in the UK in blocks of months and living in the EU..

I am sick of tired of reading about exploited Europeans when by the week I am getting shown a photo of the family home back in Poland, last one was near a lake, the plan by him was 10 years hard graft in the UK and that will set him up for life in Poland, he can then get out of "this over populated unfriendly British dump" as he puts it.

Sort of make my point re their work ethic though

On a tactical level you are probably right on a pure financial level nonsense in general strong fit Eastern Europeans do nor come here to claim benefits although if they are available I expect they claim them, I am 2nd generation Lithuanian so have had numerous conversations

In fact the Telegraph not a liberal newspaper puts the stats at this a couple of years ago :

"In 2014, 4.9 million (92.6 per cent) working age benefit claimants were British while only 131,000 (2.5 per cent) were EU nationals. The number of recipients from outside of the UK — but not from the EU — was 264,000 (five per cent).

Likewise, in the latest data from 2013 for those tax credits, 3.9 million (84.8 per cent) families receiving the benefits were British citizens, 302,000 (6.4 per cent) were EU citizens and 413,000 (8.8 per cent) were from outside of the UK."

There are a far greater proportion of lifestyle benefit slobs who are born and bred in the UK, you see them everywhere, from totally fat slob whole families to gaggle toothed single mum slags with 5 kids from different fathers

Clamping down on the benefits this lowlife get would be the most effective measure and kill two birds with one stone.

Its tax credits that are bringing them over.

If this was wage arbitration with free movement, Id expect to see PortaKabin full of EE blokes at work sites. I do see this - the stupid, brain dead EU policy of letting large compnaies bid for cotnracts and bring over the workforce on EE benefits to the UK + France. See Wilton power station contract and various others.

Its not.

I see large number of EE families i nthe park with their kids. I see their their grandparents over. Whats happening in the UK is a result of that moron Browns subbed workfare scheme.

Financially, tax credits are a big contributor to our budget deficit and current account deficit.

The presence of tax credits is sucking dry the UK and making life in the UK generally crap, and in some places totally miserable.

As far as fit + young - Well, the UK is a long way from being a grunt labour force. We dont need fit + young we need skilled and high earning!

There'kk probably be a rule or some hideen barrier to doing any of that.

And you wont be able to claim any benefits.

EE countries, in the main, really dont foreign people living there.

Oh the irony.

I don't want to claim benefits, just get more bang for my buck.

For example, doing a factory assembly job that pays less than a UK engineering job, BUT, after bills having substancially more discretionary income.

I'd imagine after seven decades of USSR they don't like any Russians. It's something I witnessed in Latvia.

Oh I put the door at Merkel for the her fkchedaed approach at making up the demographics.

Importing people from poor, tribal strongly Muslim countries oes not work. Save the Germans the hassle and take them to Bradford.

No, it doesn't work.

Actually, the Visegrad countries are anti-immigration.

Hungary spent 26m on state propaganda, a large chunk on an anti-refugee campaign. At the same time, it's attitude towards Romainians isn't exactly friendly.

Stories such as:

Village of Alsónémedi to ethnically cleanse itself of Romanian gypsies

and the curious

Creepy scarecrows erected at Hungarian border to keep refugees out

(they say it works)

I don't blame them. Muslims don't mix well with any one.

I am sick of tired of reading about exploited Europeans when by the week I am getting shown a photo of the family home back in Poland, last one was near a lake, the plan by him was 10 years hard graft in the UK and that will set him up for life in Poland, he can then get out of "this over populated unfriendly British dump" as he puts it.

I was considering this. I had thought out an arrangement that would have me 10k better off now if I had carried it out. My missus became unemployed when the company she worked for whent under. She got a generous remunaration package for having been there so long.

At the time we where renting out a place in the SE for 1k per month, and in addition, I had a room for about 300 in the Midlands at a time I was making 3k after tax.

I knew the contract wasn't going to last, as the arrangement was for me to do extra work by the client at a time they where overwhelmed bt when things quitened down it would be over.

So, I thought, the missus can go home to her parents until my contract expires, then I leave the room lodge and go meet up with her. This would have left us with 20k total. But the wife being the way she is, wanted to stay with me, which is understandable, but financially was the wrong move. Now we live in the Midlands with a rent of 700 eating away our savings.

FUUUUUUUUCK

'I don't blame them. Muslims don't mix well with any one.'

Its not just Mulsims.

EE countries dont even like their neighbours, never mind Western EUers.

God help you if you're not pasty white too.

I am by no means part of the subsection of exploited europeans. When I have a contract I do very well. Pay my taxes, and save the rest for the times I have no contract or job.

I dont complain about the jobs in the UK. They are a simple case of labout for money. All clear and upfront.

What bothers me is the housing of this contry. I cannot believe what the costs to buy or rent a property are. It's unreal. Anywhere else in Europe I could have a palace for the cot of a hovell in Zone 3.

I'm one of the better off Europeans in the Uk, I can only imagne what my compatriates and the native working class of this country is going through.

You give young workers the opportunity to tough it out in some foreign country for several years to be rewarded with a good family back home when they get back and I bet you 90% plus would grab the chance

i think so too.

I was considering going into Oil and Gas. Toiling in some off shore platfrom but saving almost evrything of my income as flights and food are provided, and off shore you dont have to pay tax (as you dont enjoy the benefits of civilisation whilst rotting away on a steel cage in the ocean).

Quite simply, they are not multicultural societies, lets not get into racism.

Migrants in Poland, for example, are less than 0.2 per cent.

It has been interesting to read East European accounts of Brexit as something fuelled by xenophobia. UK is far more multicultural than most of Europe.

i think so too.

I was considering going into Oil and Gas. Toiling in some off shore platfrom but saving almost evrything of my income as flights and food are provided, and off shore you dont have to pay tax (as you dont enjoy the benefits of civilisation whilst rotting away on a steel cage in the ocean).

15 years too late. At least for the last wave. Give it another 10-15 years.

Assumign we have not gone to electric cars by then...

The simple fact is that these souls packed out our GDP figures and created that fabled "recovery".

GDP stats are totally meaningless.

Poland is currently the best performing European economy . . . growth, trade surplus, no banking wobblies thanks to better regulation . . . even the Italian Unicredit bank makes a profit in Poland.

Yet it is the largest net recipient of EU funds. Go figure.

Of course, it helps if you can export unemployment.

Free movement only works if this is done on an EU basis. All countries should contribute to health and pensions, wherever their citizens may be. Having lived in different countries, I can tell you that the 'reciprocal' arrangements for healthcare don't work.

I might be wrong but is the reason EE workers came here in the first place was the money was so much better. Even if your willing to sleep in a ditch and eat root vegetables your not going to be better off than just staying put.

I raised this point ages ago. Whilst on the face of it proclaiming freedom of movement is the best thing since sliced bread - the leaders of places like Poland must be livid that many of their keen young people ****** off to the uk as soon as they can.

In the early 2000s Poland had an unemployment rate over 20%. so at that time their politicians were probably quite pleased to have the problem taken off their hands:

https://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/explore?ds=z8o7pt6rd5uqa6_&met_y=unemployment_rate&idim=country:pl:uk:fr&hl=en&dl=en

Different now that unemployment there has fallen a lot.