House Price Crash Forum

Tailgaters, Gopro's & Dashcams

pl1

Diverting the thread may I draw your attention to pl1's usage of an apostrophe in Gopro's in the title.

This is something I have put the case for at other times as I thing for nouns ending in vowels the inclusion of an apostrophe makes it more obviously a plural, rather than a singular noun ending in 's', than its exclusion.

Gopros

looks less obviously plural to me than

Gopro's

The latter looks like what it is - a possessive. Seeing it used as a plural jars when reading.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I get one of these imbeciles stuck to the rear bumper I like to amuse my self and randomly brake (Gently), meander slightly, leave an indicator on for miles, use engine braking to imperceptibly slow and speed up

They go absolutely mental while I sit there laughing rather than stressing about them

Diverting the thread may I draw your attention to pl1's usage of an apostrophe in Gopro's in the title.

This is something I have put the case for at other times as I thing for nouns ending in vowels the inclusion of an apostrophe makes it more obviously a plural, rather than a singular noun ending in 's', than its exclusion.

Gopros

Gopro's

The plural is Goprii, you illiterate spelling Nazi.

Or Goprae. I forget which.

When I get one of these imbeciles stuck to the rear bumper I like to amuse my self and randomly brake (Gently), meander slightly, leave an indicator on for miles, use engine braking to imperceptibly slow and speed up

They go absolutely mental while I sit there laughing rather than stressing about them

:lol:

Quality - I wish I had the gall to do that, but with my luck we'd end up at traffic lights and I'd get bopped on the nose

:lol:

Quality - I wish I had the gall to do that, but with my luck we'd end up at traffic lights and I'd get bopped on the nose

They won't. They only know how to meet aggression (With more aggression)

Incompetence will make them angry, and they might treat you to their opinion, but they will not get violent

Always seems to be Golfs and Audis.

I activate the windscreen washer until they get the message.

Can take up to 5 minutes depending on how dense they are.

I generally just follow the "closer you get, slower I drive" approach (which is what you're told to do in driver's education), but have found the windscreen washer to be helpful.

Tailgaters do annoy...tbh about 70% of drivers drive too close, 90% of the time in a queue of traffic so no chance of overtaking. my question to these 70%...why do you do it? don't you realise driving is easier by backing off someone elses backside, you know less stressful, less chance of rear ending. Just moronic.

Tailgaters do annoy...tbh about 70% of drivers drive too close, 90% of the time in a queue of traffic so no chance of overtaking. my question to these 70%...why do you do it? don't you realise driving is easier by backing off someone elses backside, you know less stressful, less chance of rear ending. Just moronic.

The other that annoys me intensely is when leaving the appropriate space in heavy traffic, the idiot in the other lane uses it to continually swap lanes in the misguided belief that the other lane is moving faster, cutting up as they move from lane to lane

The safest place (for you) to have a bad driver is some distance in front of you rather than immediately behind you.

And in terms of the general safety on the road, we're better off with the 5% of awful/fast (rather than awful/slow and awful/moderate) drivers not being really frustrated and angry.

With a tailgaiter I keep to my speed then ease off on a longer straight to let them past.

It is nice to think that you can get your own back on them but it really is a poor solution.

What exactly is the purpose of the camera though? Reliving your favourite stressful driving moments over a bottle of wine on a Friday night, or because you think the police can be assed filtering through endless reams of Victor Meldrew's driving footage looking for marginal traffic infractions?

If it's to prove guilt in the case they bump into you it seems pointless.. they run into you they're automatically at fault.

Perhaps I'm the only one who doesn't pay the blindest bit of attention to drivers behind me. Tailgaters honestly don't upset me in the slightest.

What exactly is the purpose of the camera though? Reliving your favourite stressful driving moments over a bottle of wine on a Friday night, or because you think the police can be assed filtering through endless reams of Victor Meldrew's driving footage looking for marginal traffic infractions?

If it's to prove guilt in the case they bump into you it seems pointless.. they run into you they're automatically at fault.

Perhaps I'm the only one who doesn't pay the blindest bit of attention to drivers behind me. Tailgaters honestly don't upset me in the slightest.

I'm not terribly convinced of the value of a rear-facing camera. However, sometimes it is useful to pay a bit of attention to people behind you. I'll admit to having on 1 occasion driven through a red light, because the car behind me was obviously not going to stop, and going to rear end me. I stopped just clear of the junction itself, about 2 cars lengths over the white line, with the guy behind me skidding to a halt just over the line. Accident avoided, so all good. Technically legal to, as driving through the red light was to prevent an accident, although I wouldn't like to argue the case in court if there was a red light camera there.

I find my front facing camera perfectly adequate, but I have rather boring drives, and rarely capture anything of much interest. Although, I did have a near collision with dithery Dot when for no apparent reason she decides to swerve into my lane and slam on her brakes while approaching a green light and clear junction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIMgc9pwV7g

When it's appropriate I do. My comment was more to do with the aggressive mentality of some drivers. Maybe you think it's ok, I don't.

Its not OK...rage makes them less safe as they are focusing on the object of hate rather than the big picture. best to let it pass.

Gopros

Gopro's

Yea I wasn't sure on that one.

I'll have a look at some Youtube/Google reviews. I was hoping a solar powered cam might be an option so it could be set and forget but probably not enough juice for it.

In true cheapskate HPC fashion,I didn't buy a dashcam (I doubt I'd work out how to use it) but did buy a convincing-looking CCTV sticker from Amazon,which is on the back window of my Yaris. It works pretty well against tailgaters.

I applaud your thrift, but nobody would tailgate a Yaris. :(

Same here, the closer they are the slower I go. Sometimes you can see the veins in their heads bulging. These people shouldn't be on the roads.

I'm no slouch, driven track days, ride a motorbike.

Yes I do this . However, my experience is they always try a dangerous overtake and then risk cutting you up to avoid a head on collision with a car coming the other way (when on roads without central reservation barriers). I've not seen the Porsche clip yet. Is it like that?

Even worse drive around your local area and see how many traffic islands have flattened lamp posts or wrecked pedestrian barrier.

Archived