House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Tailgaters, Gopro's & Dashcams

I was going to put this in the Cayenne tw*t thread but thought I'd ask seperately.

I drive to & fro on a single lane A road. I'm not a dottering Doris but I do obey the limits, it's a twisty road and it's had it's fair share of accidents. I'm getting real tired of tailgaters on it. The other day was the last straw, a real aggresive 'gater for several miles, if I'd had a rear dashcam I would have shopped him.

Anybody suggest a good dashcam? I'd want it to be a set it & forget it job, I don't want to be suckering it onto the rear windscreen each drive otherwise I just won't use it. Hi-def enough to read a number plate but not enough to break the bank.

I was going to put this in the Cayenne tw*t thread but thought I'd ask seperately.

I drive to & fro on a single lane A road. I'm not a dottering Doris but I do obey the limits, it's a twisty road and it's had it's fair share of accidents. I'm getting real tired of tailgaters on it. The other day was the last straw, a real aggresive 'gater for several miles, if I'd had a rear dashcam I would have shopped him.

Anybody suggest a good dashcam? I'd want it to be a set it & forget it job, I don't want to be suckering it onto the rear windscreen each drive otherwise I just won't use it. Hi-def enough to read a number plate but not enough to break the bank.

I've always dabbed the rear fogs for a second or two if someone's up my @rse

They think it's a brake light and back off

Techmoan utube clips does good reviews. My favourite strategy is the closer they get, the slower I go and then a slight tap to the brakes pi$$es em right off and if the have any sense, they back off

Same here, the closer they are the slower I go. Sometimes you can see the veins in their heads bulging. These people shouldn't be on the roads.

I'm no slouch, driven track days, ride a motorbike.

Yep, find the idiots hate it when you religiously stick to to speed limit. Never intentionally antagonise by driving significantly under. Can almost see the steam coming out of their ears.

I naturally slow down if I have somebody right behind me as it feels less safe, and significantly more so if it's dark and I'm being dazzled by their lights.

There's no intention on my part to wind them up by doing this but surely most people who are tailgated do also slow down, whether deliberately or not, so it's counter productive.

I get the occasional one who drops back so I speed up again but most don't realise that they are actually slowing themselves down by tailgating.

I sometimes find myself, just through carrying speed through a corner, right up behind a slower driver, maybe they're nervous or just don't know the road, so I let the car drift back so as not to make them more nervous and slow.

Techmoan utube clips does good reviews. My favourite strategy is the closer they get, the slower I go and then a slight tap to the brakes pi$$es em right off and if the have any sense, they back off

That's what I normally do. I almost came unstuck once when the tw@t in a white van overtook me on a dangerous bend then settled abou a foot in front of me. Fortunately I was able to peel off right to go home. But my old man came in soon after and said he'd dealt with a drunk driving a white van. He was so pissed that when he got out the van he fell unconscious on the pavement. It turned out to be the very same tw@t. I'm careful now about using the slow down tactic.

The one I really hate is when stuck in a line of traffic on dual carriageway or motorway and there is some tool tailgating. Er yeah, where would you like me to go?

Vertical takeoff of course...

Mind, having totally dissed tailgaters, my other pet hate is the tw@t who sits in the outside lane doing under or just on the speed limit when the inside lanes are empty. So many bad drivers out there

Same here, the closer they are the slower I go.

Best strategy entirely.

Gives them a better chance to overtake and everybody's happy.

Win win.

The one I really hate is when stuck in a line of traffic on dual carriageway or motorway and there is some tool tailgating. Er yeah, where would you like me to go?

Indeed. It just shows how poor a driver they are - looking at the single car in front of them and nothing else.

I fantasise about a compressed air gun under my car that fires stones backwards at their windscreen.

More seriously, braking in front of them could cause the very accident you dread.

So back to the OP, I too would like recommendations about dashcams, forwards & backwards, idiot proof (as you may have deduced) and am willing to pay a decent price for good resolution/ recording time/ battery life.

Drive at the speed appropriate for their stopping distance? Seeing as tailgaters are often very close even within one or two car lengths that's quite a slow speed.

With some tailgaters they also seem to be absent the skill to overtake never mind overtake safely. Even if you slow down to a snail's pace and hug the kerb they often seem unable to take the opportunity offered to allow them to overtake - as if tailgating is a mission in itself. The roads don't even need to be congested for them to practice their mission.

the-highway-code-stopping-distances.jpg

It's a rare driver that has never tailgated a bit ever if only unintentionally and due to short term circumstances but a reasonable driver will realise it pretty quickly and back off immediately/as soon as possible.

Techmoan's site does some good reviews of dashcams. Also Dashcamtalk, a forum dedicated to dashcams. I myself have bought a Thinkware F770 front and rear cameras with Cellink B battery (for timelapse parking mode); Expensive, but impressive bits of kit.

Diverting the thread may I draw your attention to pl1's usage of an apostrophe in Gopro's in the title.

This is something I have put the case for at other times as I thing for nouns ending in vowels the inclusion of an apostrophe makes it more obviously a plural, rather than a singular noun ending in 's', than its exclusion.

Gopros

looks less obviously plural to me than

Gopro's

I've always dabbed the rear fogs for a second or two if someone's up my @rse

They think it's a brake light and back off

I just slowly slow down until they get the message and back off or overtake.

This may not be safe, but you could flip the rear view mirror up, so they are not in your face. Van and lorry drivers have no rear view mirror, they get by.

Untitled.png

Pull up the handbrake sharply.

left-foot braking, while right foot on the accelerator as normal!!" works every time.

get's the back of your car bouncing up and down like tone of those pimped up cadillacs from the movies, and usually scares the sh1t ot of the tailgater

You transport the bees in your car???

Well I wouldn't fit the box in the basket on my bike.

Yes. But in fairness they do fly to the flowers themselves.

Seriously we collected a swarm last night from a garden where it had been for two weeks. The woman had seen it arrive and not given it a second thought until she came to do some gardening yesterday when she discovered there were still quite a lot of bees in the hedge. They'd built several sheets of comb and there was honey. The temperature last night was such that the combs were very soft once they were cut away from the privet. The bees were all in the box when we went back at 9pm. Took them to the apiary and put the combs on frames using lots of elastic bands.

We have been and collected a few swarms this year and also delivered a nuc box of bees to someone.