House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Apple Appstore - Fake Invoice?

Just had an email invoice for £29 odd from Apple Appstore.

I've never ordered anything from them. The invoice has a link to my 'order'. I won't click this in case it opens something nasty.

Anyone else had anything similar??

I never pay fake invoices! In fact I am slow to pay real ones!

Our hotel address receives probably 50 or so per day. Some are quite clever others extremely obvious. Our spam filters take care of most. We also receive spam faxes, some of which are invoices for enormous amounts. For example the encyclopedias we ordered or the charity diaries we ordered or the advertising. There is one in particular of these which many have fallen for billing for an entry into a business directory.

Worst of all are the phone calls and I have to admit that I have fallen for 2 of these in the early days of being in business. A certain Mr Brown will be first against the wall for this when the revolution comes because of this!

The most bizarre was a hand written letter to Prince Charles proposing marriage from an African girl (with photo) but a return address for the stamped and paid air mail in the USA. I still show it to guests occasionally as evidence of one aspect of the strangeness of hotel proprietorship!

Just had an email invoice for £29 odd from Apple Appstore.

I've never ordered anything from them. The invoice has a link to my 'order'. I won't click this in case it opens something nasty.

Anyone else had anything similar??

scam. delete it!

Our hotel address receives probably 50 or so per day. Some are quite clever others extremely obvious. Our spam filters take care of most. We also receive spam faxes, some of which are invoices for enormous amounts. For example the encyclopedias we ordered or the charity diaries we ordered or the advertising. There is one in particular of these which many have fallen for billing for an entry into a business directory.

Worst of all are the phone calls and I have to admit that I have fallen for 2 of these in the early days of being in business. A certain Mr Brown will be first against the wall for this when the revolution comes because of this!

The most bizarre was a hand written letter to Prince Charles proposing marriage from an African girl (with photo) but a return address for the stamped and paid air mail in the USA. I still show it to guests occasionally as evidence of one aspect of the strangeness of hotel proprietorship!

First time I ever encountered a 419 scam, it was a letter on paper sent to the proprietor of a bar. Kind-of supports your impression that your line of business attracts them.

This was a bar in Rome, where I was a regular at the time. The proprietor was puzzled by it, and showed it to me because it was in English, and he knew I was a native speaker. No trouble reading it (it was more literate than many of the ones doing the rounds in email), but I had no idea what the purpose of it was. My guess was the same as his: a good Italian word "mafia".

Having heard me baiting the phone scammers my 13 year old wants to have a go. 35 minutes is my record but it does tie up one phone line so I tend not to push it so far nowadays. They can become abusive eventually, usually in broken English, so not so keen on her participation. Even had them ring me back to give us a parting shot.

Having heard me baiting the phone scammers my 13 year old wants to have a go. 35 minutes is my record but it does tie up one phone line so I tend not to push it so far nowadays. They can become abusive eventually, usually in broken English, so not so keen on her participation. Even had them ring me back to give us a parting shot.

Get yourself a VOIP service. You can get a number (for free) that you can talk on without tying up the line. Though it was mildly disconcerting the first time the phone rang while I was talking on it.