House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Contactless Card Pinched..

Not mine, someone I know. She rang the bank and they stopped the card, so she thought.
Statement arrives. It'd been used 10 times in total after she'd reported the theft to the police and the bank.

This person had gone shop to shop spending the max he could at each until it ran out of goes. Which meant there was £300 nearly spent.

They have refunded it all but only after much arguing of tosses.

Why not walk around with a Sainsbury bag of twenty pound notes.

These things are gonna be a problem, like keyless cars. No key needed with the right equipment, although you would have to go to MrPin's "dark web" to find out about that! :wacko:

I was amazed that this tech was developed by the banks, given how nuts they are about security. I would have thought they should always stomach the cost in such cases, given that there is pretty much nothing the customer can do to prevent the fraud if their card is stolen. Too easy.

I'd rather have have a bag of gold coins.

I was amazed that this tech was developed by the banks, given how nuts they are about security. I would have thought they should always stomach the cost in such cases, given that there is pretty much nothing the customer can do to prevent the fraud if their card is stolen. Too easy.

It's more money for them surely, they pick up a slice from the retailer whereas they get nothing for cash purchases.

Plus less cash transcations means less work dealing with cash, less people employed, close more branches etc.

Their gains and savings would far outweigh the fraud losses.

The banks, like the house, can't lose.

If fraud losses are too great, they just up the fees.

"The only way to win is not to play". Use cash.

Doubloons?

8 Real pieces of Spanish silver! :blink:

The banks, like the house, can't lose.

If fraud losses are too great, they just up the fees.

"The only way to win is not to play". Use cash.

Yes. That'll never get stolen!

There are ways. The most convenient one seems to be to locate the chip and stick a small drill bit through it. Fortunately its a different chip to the chip and pin chip... for now.

My greatest fear would be that someone (or many people) at the bank would know that I had just withdrawn a sizeable chunk of cash, and they know where I live! Ditto with buying a large amount of PMs online.

So I think it's mostly 1s and 0s for me for the forseeable. Unimaginative, I know!

There are ways. The most convenient one seems to be to locate the chip and stick a small drill bit through it. Fortunately its a different chip to the chip and pin chip... for now.

That's very interesting, I will investigate :)

My greatest fear would be that someone (or many people) at the bank would know that I had just withdrawn a sizeable chunk of cash, and they know where I live! Ditto with buying a large amount of PMs online.

So I think it's mostly 1s and 0s for me for the forseeable. Unimaginative, I know!

I share those fears. I drained the bank account slowly - lots of small withdrawals. I'm now too paranoid to buy PMs online. A long time ago - probably when it was first do-able - I did buy a bit of gold that way but I worry too much now to do it. If the delivery bloke recognises a small but weighty package for what it is then I'm relying on his eternal silence to keep balaclava'd bandits from beating me up one night.

I share those fears. I drained the bank account slowly - lots of small withdrawals. I'm now too paranoid to buy PMs online. A long time ago - probably when it was first do-able - I did buy a bit of gold that way but I worry too much now to do it. If the delivery bloke recognises a small but weighty package for what it is then I'm relying on his eternal silence to keep balaclava'd bandits from beating me up one night.

I'll bet you have a basement full of treasures, like a dragon. :wacko:

Ask what courier the provider uses and chose a range of different providers so no one courier gets an idea of what you are doing.

It's more money for them surely, they pick up a slice from the retailer whereas they get nothing for cash purchases.

Plus less cash transcations means less work dealing with cash, less people employed, close more branches etc.

The pattern is that initially the Banks will quietly, and without fuss, take the losses, they don't want scare stories like this to undermine confidence in the new tech.

Once adoption has gone mainstream, they will start blaming the users of the new tech for their losses.

Exactly this, they must be making massive amounts of money they wouldn't have been able to until they introduced this tech.

I suspect if I lost my card any loss they might make in the short period it will take me to realise and inform them will have been more than covered by the transactions I've done.

And probably any FUBRA employees with access to your account details unless you're really, really careful.

And probably any FUBRA employees with access to your account details unless you're really, really careful.

Indeed.

Can't you request a non contactless one from the issuing bank?

I don't know Spunky. I have just been sent one and I didn't want it! :blink:

RFID shielded wallet. cheap as chips now, only about £20 for a decent one-not a blue peter job with tinfoil that just reflects wi-fi etc, but one with stuff in that actually ABSORBS radio waves,so nullifies any passer by with NFC(near field communication) gadgetry.

RFID shielded wallet. cheap as chips now, only about £20 for a decent one-not a blue peter job with tinfoil that just reflects wi-fi etc, but one with stuff in that actually ABSORBS radio waves,so nullifies any passer by with NFC(near field communication) gadgetry.

Seconded. And before I had it I put tin foil into my normal wallet.

Oh. I've just merged with Oracle :unsure:

Only in the context of this thread, that "advanced tech" (honestly?) can be defeated by an advanced exploit : taking the card out of the wallet.

:lol:

I should add as a side note that no self respecting nfc skimmer is gonna be put off by these wallets.They'll just sit / stand / queue near tills.

Again knowledge is the key. Because the RFID is powered by the polling signal, disabling the chip is as simple as break the antannae loop. A strategically placed notch or hole is all that is needed. Takes about two minutes, which will save you time researching nfc wallets. All you need is a bright light to see where he antennae is situated.