House Price Crash Forum
Automotive Engineer

[Dm/news] Immigration Puts Pressure On Locals Wages. (No Shit Sherlock))

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3742459/How-mass-migration-skilled-workers-440-year-worse-off.ht

As an immirant myself, I recognise that mass migration has a negative influence on wages.

Mass immigration has cut the pay of some skilled British workers by almost £450 a year, a report says today.

Electricians, plumbers and bricklayers are among those whose wages are on average 2.1 per cent lower – £8.40 a week, or £436.80 a year, the Resolution Foundation think-tank claims.

Net immigration – the difference between those arriving in the UK and those leaving – is running at more than 300,000 a year.

I'm a little surprised it's only 2.1%. I reckon it should be more. Can anyone provide any evidence for the amount of money that immigrats push wages down to?

I would also be surprised if it was only that for certain jobs where competition has been most intense.

To estimate this with any scientific rigour is neat impossible, so to conclude an estimate to a tenth of one percent is laughable.

However the most sensible approach would be to track areas that have had high immigration versus those that have had little and to see what happens to the respective wage growth in those areas.

But you would still need to consider why certain areas attract immigrants and others do not.

Trust me its way worse than £440 a year, Christ, try working for 50% of what you earned pre 2004. What really sticks in my crawl regarding the construction industry is many Uk firms seem to employ immigrants almost exclusively based on what i've seen on the last couple of sites i've worked. But it does brighten my day to know the 'professions' are now getting it in the **** from diversity mandarins too not just lowly scum like me who work with their hands.

i work in IT Software. More than 100K jobs have gone, not overseas... but to migrants.

The major employers have two cards. The first, the Intra Company Transfer, bring someone over and then pay them min. wage + living expenses.

​For year 1 of a visa, they isn't any NI to pay for either employer or employee. So I suspect that discount applies to workers in other sectors too.

They are obliged to pay them 24K, they do.. but it doesn't cost them much more than 24K to do it. So essentially a Tax and NI free workforce.

Obviously for a local to get 2K a month net, its more like a 35K salary + employers NI, taking the cost to more like 40.

My current salary is about double what I was on 20 years ago; but I was relatively inexperienced then. I did freelance for a while in the late 90s, rates now are probably only 20% higher than back then.

But I'd say the average pay rate for a perm dev job is probably only about 50% higher than 20 years ago.

So for me all the skills shortage talk is just a round about way to getting another tax break.

I'm fairly sure that an EU migrant can elect to pay their NI to their home country to start with, also giving them a pay advantage in many cases.

I would also be surprised if it was only that for certain jobs where competition has been most intense.

To estimate this with any scientific rigour is neat impossible, so to conclude an estimate to a tenth of one percent is laughable.

However the most sensible approach would be to track areas that have had high immigration versus those that have had little and to see what happens to the respective wage growth in those areas.

But you would still need to consider why certain areas attract immigrants and others do not.

This really isn't a very good approach to measure the economic impact of migration (and it's the favourite propaganda tool for the pro-migration camp). Migrants mainly move to areas of with high potential for economic growth. If there wasn't economic activity, they wouldn't be moving there. What you end up seeing is that areas with high levels of migration do not have significantly lower wage growth than areas with little migration, but that doesn't mean that wages wouldn't have been higher without migration.

We have massive emigration, so without immigration we would have had a falling working age population. That means salaries would have tracked or exceeded central bank money printing, with some in demand skill sets (electricians, plumbers, if you will) getting silly money.

This is the reason why post Brexit NOTHING will be done about immigration.

Pure anecdotal,but during the Labour open door policy my partner lost her job at a factory on £10.45 an hour along with 80+ other people.They were replaced a month later with temporary Polish staff on £6.45 an hour.Two years later most of the other permanent staff still on the £10.45 an hour were made redundant.Now the Polish and Brits are 90% agency and 90% on NMW+£1.00.

Id guess factory jobs are -30% due to immigration.Of course the people on tax credits didnt care,it was made back up.Nice way to enslave voters for your party.The immigrants and people who now need the state.

The question is would they of off-shored the factories though if they couldnt cut wages to Victorian levels?

We have massive emigration, so without immigration we would have had a falling working age population. That means salaries would have tracked or exceeded central bank money printing, with some in demand skill sets (electricians, plumbers, if you will) getting silly money.

If they made the UK a more attractive ie affordable, better working conditions/salaries place to live, then the emigration would fall.

Its crazy we train doctors and nurses for years, then the leave for sunnier climes.

Closing the open door policy would limit the immigration then to skilled workers.

If they made the UK a more attractive ie affordable, better working conditions/salaries place to live, then the emigration would fall.

Its crazy we train doctors and nurses for years, then the leave for sunnier climes.

Closing the open door policy would limit the immigration then to skilled workers.

+1
But the question is: Do we want to make this country more attractive to its citizens, or the Banker/Investor class who fund its government and own the MSM?

+1
But the question is: Do we want to make this country more attractive to its citizens, or the Banker/Investor class who fund its government and own the MSM?

I'm pretty sure you already know the answer to that. The only question is how many people believe that doing the latter is also doing the former.

If houses were cheaper we would have less emigration.

+1

I would say for its citizens but for the Government the later. Actually I think the Government like immigration because they like being in charge of more people. And they get a warm glow helping people with someone else's money.

I'm pretty sure you already know the answer to that. The only question is how many people believe that doing the latter is also doing the former.

We should collect some stats. Anyone want to team up and make some surveys? It'd be interesting to see the scale of the problem we are dealing with.

I would say for its citizens but for the Government the later. Actually I think the Government like immigration because they like being in charge of more people. And they get a warm glow helping people with someone else's money.

For anyone who hasn't noticed, the government LOVES immigration:
- Lower wage growth = more scope for money printing.
- Larger tax base.
- Fills gaps in the skill base without investment in education.
- Newcomer workforce with lower expectations / political aspirations
- Classic British short-termism.
FYI: Any politician who promises to cut immigration without cutting money printing is a populist liar.

Pure anecdotal,but during the Labour open door policy my partner lost her job at a factory on £10.45 an hour along with 80+ other people.They were replaced a month later with temporary Polish staff on £6.45 an hour.Two years later most of the other permanent staff still on the £10.45 an hour were made redundant.Now the Polish and Brits are 90% agency and 90% on NMW+£1.00.

Id guess factory jobs are -30% due to immigration.Of course the people on tax credits didnt care,it was made back up.Nice way to enslave voters for your party.The immigrants and people who now need the state.

The question is would they of off-shored the factories though if they couldnt cut wages to Victorian levels?

Out of vuriosity what was the factory job/sector? Manufactured goods? Textile?

It makes sense but I would like to see some data.

Ah but the MSM rejoice as unemployment still heading down in today's figures! All that matters apparently.

Well, an out of work man/woman is a net liability. A working ma/woman is an asset for the nation.

But yes, I see your point. Stanant wages are choking the working age population.

If houses were cheaper we would have less emigration.

Yes