House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

choochoo

Old Accounts And Posts On Other Forums

Over the years I have been a member of and posted on a variety of forums, most of which served a purpose but I haven't used in years.

I used the same username for most of these and a Google search for it brings up loads of posts, some of which I'd rather weren't public viewing anymore.

Is there an easy way to cleanse myself of this?

Will contacting the forums and closing my account remove the posts, or would they still exist? If so, how do I go about getting all the posts removed?

Can't you just change the forum names you want to keep to something new and leave the others in the past?

I think old names and comments are engrained in the sands of forum time.. but any new name you use wouldn't be linked to them.

I'm not a fan of wiping posts. We've had a few people leaving here who've got the mods to delete all of their posts.

For some of them it was necessary and fair as they'd been a little bit too open, and needed looking after. For others it was just petty and trashed the forum, making old topics nonsensical.

Over the years I have been a member of and posted on a variety of forums, most of which served a purpose but I haven't used in years.

I used the same username for most of these and a Google search for it brings up loads of posts, some of which I'd rather weren't public viewing anymore.

So you're after advice. Here's two things off the top of my head:

1) don't write anything you will regret later;

2) don't draw attention to the fact you've broken 1).

:P

I guess in isolation nothing is too bad, it's just that if anyone cared enough they could probably work out who I was from what I had posted and where.

Doesn't look like there is an easy answer anyway.

Dependent upon where they are they'll disappear eventually.

I was on a great fun division 2 football forum and then in an extended period when I didn't have internet access (yes, before the days of free wifi and internet on your phone) it closed. It crossed my mind to look for some of the old threads a few years later and they were all gone for good bar some references on other fourms to that forum. There may have been a snapshot on the wayback site but that was it.

Something like Facebook is very different as photos and drunk posts on there come back to bite people; during a big local murder trial I looked up the accused on Faxebook and the friends they had. It was amazing that they were posting things like "watch your back, I'll find you and break your jaw" to each other; not the cleverest people. Posts on forums, unless you're doing something illegal, don't attract the same attention as they're not so personal both in identification and in relating to personal disputes. There have been some right ones on here but they are on here but it is their opinions / posting styles with which I disagree, I might even like them in person.

If somebody I knew thought that I was on here and decided to plough through all the posts on here from everybody then yes they could probably work out which one was me, or they could just ask me and I'd tell them!

A thing can't be unsaid. :blink:

Actually I have found myself, posting on usenet, er in the 90's, so nothing goes away.

Actually I have found myself, posting on usenet, er in the 90's, so nothing goes away.

Maybe football forums are different as they tend to be labours of love by individuals, although the sister site of this one with which there was a major falling out has disappeared, as has Skinty's unsustainable future.

Usenet is some big thing (well, I've heard of it so it must be) which may keep rolling but the cost of hosting twenty years' worth of data must mean they start archiving / losing some of the older stuff.

So to my disappointment most of my stuff goes away. I've only got older posts from a football forum (2003), this one (2007) and another football forum (2014).

I think it's actually the case that technological change means that data that you own has a much shorter life than it did - photos, music - and hosting text data (forums etc.) has become steadily more expensive. Hosting a forum used to be very cheap and now a small one I'm on has £250 a year running costs IIRC and everybody chips in. They also don't seem to be popular with corporates who prefer the Facebook type sharing / likes for their targeted advertising rather than lengthy debate sites so I think there will be less about in the future. Hopefully HPC survives but I've thought that about others which have gone.

There's a trail after anyone says anything. Due to the nature of my work, and the fact that I'm not a plonker, I have never been to Facebook

It's surprising to find an old post on comp.lang.c on usenet though.