House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Cook In The Bag Packet Mixes, What's Special?

They come with their own transparent cooking bag, bung your meat and veg in the bag, add the sachet mix, perhaps some water, seal the bag, give it a shake then put in the oven at medium heat for an hour. Coleman's and Maggi make them. I like them, handy, low effort and work well.

Why do they provide a bag and not simply say put in a covered casserole pot in the oven? What's the advantage of providing the bag?

Like slow cooking without the slow cooker - keeps the moisture in that would normally be eliminated by the heat of the oven. You can buy the bags and make your own meals without the mix - much nicer IMO.

Why do they provide a bag and not simply say put in a covered casserole pot in the oven? What's the advantage of providing the bag?

Gimmick?

Customers don't have a casserole pot?

If they did have a casserole pot maybe the customers would use their own herbs and spices and dispense with Coleman's entirely?

It's so you come to believe that the bag itself is imbued with magical powers.

I think that's it. Tasty food is 50% skill and 50% psychology.

It's so you come to believe that the bag itself is imbued with magical powers.

The Universe started with a big bag. :mellow:

I always thought it was a Pig Bang....

You are from the "wrong" Mosque! :blink:

Has anyone tried those roasting bags in a pressure cooker?

I like marinading chicken in PeriPeri sauce in a bag in a pressure cooker.. but normal bags usually fall apart.

Is anyone else else using www.simplycook.com. I am a big fan.

Some very interesting flavours and things I wouldn't normally try but so far no real failures.

P.S. cheeky but if you want to try them pm me and we both get a discount.

And no, I am not connected but I wish I had been able to invest in them.

I have lost count the number of times I have looked at these but, being tight, I have never bought any - not even when they are on special offer.

Am I missing out?

Missing out on adding some more toxic chemicals to any you may have eaten via food?

I have lost count the number of times I have looked at these but, being tight, I have never bought any - not even when they are on special offer.

Am I missing out?

In my opinion yes you are. So long as you are cooking for two they are not that expensive. I regard myself as an accomplished cook but I am enjoying cooking things that I wouldn't normally go for. In some ways they save you money as buying all the herbs etc can be quite expensive for a one off meal.

Am I missing out?

I was given a few packets once when a neighbour was clearing out stuff.

They were better than I expected.. as others have said, the bag does keep the meat juicy as it effectively steams the meat in herb juice.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy them.. but maybe if they were on special offer I might grab a couple just for something a bit different.

Are they any better / different to those mixed spices your can buy in a little jar?

I use the Thai red curry stuff quite often for ease. The simply cook stuff is quite a bit more complex in flavour.

I was given a few packets once when a neighbour was clearing out stuff.

They were better than I expected.. as others have said, the bag does keep the meat juicy as it effectively steams the meat in herb juice.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy them.. but maybe if they were on special offer I might grab a couple just for something a bit different.

I get a stash in when they're on at 50p and theyre there for when we don't have time/energy to cook properly

Gimmick?

Customers don't have a casserole pot?

If they did have a casserole pot maybe the customers would use their own herbs and spices and dispense with Coleman's entirely?

This.....the plastic bag they provide will hopefully provide consistency of finished product.....personally i would not like the idea of hot plastic next to the food I will be eating.......buying a recipe book or searching, along with a few cheap spices and a tube of tomato puree would provide for many future exciting and tasty meals. ;)

Would the plastic give off chemicals?

It seems very tough stuff and unlikely to. Certainly h&s rules must mean that anything it gives off must be below a certain safe threshold.

And besides, cooking pots and pans may give off trace substances too, maybe even traces of detergent.