House Price Crash Forum

Things To See And Do In And Around Conwy, North Wales

mikthe20

HOLA441

Thanks everyone - some awesome suggestions there. Was looking forward to driving those country roads but will just take it easy and keep a close eye on the speedo. Police tricks sound excessive but I'm sure you're not exaggerating. Trying to convince the kids to go on that mad zip wire - I might have to go on my own!

HOLA442

Thanks everyone - some awesome suggestions there. Was looking forward to driving those country roads but will just take it easy and keep a close eye on the speedo. Police tricks sound excessive but I'm sure you're not exaggerating. Trying to convince the kids to go on that mad zip wire - I might have to go on my own!

Make sure someone videos it and you post it here. I will want a report as I really want to try that myself :D

Just watched that Titan zipwire video again. I thought that they were showing the same zipwire from various angles but, upon closer inspection, it looks like 2, possibly 3, different zipwires. That looks amazing.

HOLA443

Around 25 years ago I spent a few months living in the Conwy valley. In those days there were no speed cameras and the police were armed with the original minis. They used to give up on speeding drivers because they couldn't go fast enough in the minis to catch them. Obviously times have changed.

The Groes Inn on the way down the valley was always worth a visit and it's a very scenic drive as well.

HOLA444

There's the Sydney opera house, Eiffel tower, and the great wall of China, all available from the Internet. It's hardly worth going outside. :blink:

HOLA445

If you're into railways with steam and scenery, North Wales is the place. The Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland lines are excellent - joined together, they're over 40 miles long through excellent scenery, and the Snowdon Mountain Railway is good too. Not too far away is the Llangollen Railway.

Portmeirion is excellent, even if you're not a Prisoner fan.

Possibly not the thing for teenage kids, but Bodnant Gardens near Conwy are worth seeing.

definitely.

fairbourne railway is nice too.it's a small narrow gauge one, but if you have kids they'll love it.

HOLA446

definitely.

fairbourne railway is nice too.it's a small narrow gauge one, but if you have kids they'll love it.

I've always found children talk a lot about railway gauges. :blink:

HOLA447
HOLA448

An excellent briefing for those travelling to Wales. Can't think for the life of me why this was not part of The Economist's Country Briefings. :D Old but good.

PS : mikthe20, have a wonderful time. Certain you will as you've taken the trouble to gather views. Have been b4 myself and loved it, tho I can see from the various suggestions (zip wire!) that things have rather moved on from my time, so not much point in me making suggestions. Have a good 'un!

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4412

I just wanted to thank everyone for their tips on this thread. We had a great time. Unfortunately we were there when it was chucking it down with rain last week so couldn't do some of the activities we'd have liked. However, we did do a lot of working and plenty of historic sites and so good grub (Menai Bridge seafood festival was very wet but great atmosphere and people). Lovely part of the world and we've vowed to go back next year as there is just so much to do on both land and sea.

Conwy itself is a lovely place and highly recommended - preferred it to Llandudno, Love the castle and walls. The new tapas restaurant there (Banc of Conwy it's called bizarrely) was very good. Some very decent Welsh ales too.

TMT - we didn't do the zip wire as there was only one dry day at the end of our time there and my kids preferred to go on a quad biking tour (which was great fun actually, hadn't done that before, and 250cc is a lot of fun if you hang back so the guides can't see you!) but I made them promise to go on it on our return next year.

No speeding fines (hopefully) despite me enjoying chucking my (non-chav!) Subaru through the back roads of Snowdonia on the way back from Portmeirion.

Thanks again all!

HOLA4413

I just wanted to thank everyone for their tips on this thread. We had a great time. Unfortunately we were there when it was chucking it down with rain last week so couldn't do some of the activities we'd have liked. However, we did do a lot of working and plenty of historic sites and so good grub (Menai Bridge seafood festival was very wet but great atmosphere and people). Lovely part of the world and we've vowed to go back next year as there is just so much to do on both land and sea.

Conwy itself is a lovely place and highly recommended - preferred it to Llandudno, Love the castle and walls. The new tapas restaurant there (Banc of Conwy it's called bizarrely) was very good. Some very decent Welsh ales too.

TMT - we didn't do the zip wire as there was only one dry day at the end of our time there and my kids preferred to go on a quad biking tour (which was great fun actually, hadn't done that before, and 250cc is a lot of fun if you hang back so the guides can't see you!) but I made them promise to go on it on our return next year.

No speeding fines (hopefully) despite me enjoying chucking my (non-chav!) Subaru through the back roads of Snowdonia on the way back from Portmeirion.

Thanks again all!

Photos or it didn't happen.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm perhaps biased because I live here - but I do think North Wales (weather aside at times) is one of the undiscovered gems of the UK.

Undiscovered??!

I moved to North Wales a couple of years back and I'm thoroughly sick of all the tourists already, and I previously lived in the Peak District which is supposed to be the most visited Nat Park in the UK.

Living in North Wales just feels like I'm in one giant Centre Parcs... everything is just geared towards the tourist industry.

Archived