House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Banning Of Zombie Nights

I was awake overnight watching the Olympics when, on BBC Radio, I heard a news report stating that, from this Thursday, Zombie Nights would be banned.

My mind boggled. They repeated it a few times in the night.

Eventually, by this morning, they were reporting that zombie knives were about to be banned.

So I did a google and was truly shocked at the blades on these things. Here was I wondering whether I could buy a new fishing knife and then I go online and see, well, see for yourselves.

Zombie_War_Fantasy_Knife-1.jpg

Surely they were illegal to possess already? ASUI if you are stopped carrying anything larger than a penknife you have to have a good reason for carrying it eg. Fishing, on the way to the allotment with your machete. I fail to come up with a good reason for carrying one of those things.

Surely they were illegal to possess already? ASUI if you are stopped carrying anything larger than a penknife you have to have a good reason for carrying it eg. Fishing, on the way to the allotment with your machete. I fail to come up with a good reason for carrying one of those things.

Exactly.

I thought you got 5 years automatic jail sentence if caught carrying anything bigger than a pen-knife with some exceptions - i.e. you are going fishing and have your fishing kit with you.

In recent weeks we have been discussing on here how best to protect yourselves in the current climate but, looking at these knives this morning, I was thinking that I was seriously behind the times when it comes to knives. Some of them, as mentioned above, are basically evil looking swords.

That's not really a Sword, the angles are all wrong

It's a fancy machete and not really even that.

I practice Iaido

(the art of drawing the Japanese Katana sword)

Also banned in the UK since 2008 but i have a Licence from the British Kendo Association which allows me to purchase or import a Katana for use in Iaido practice.

I'd rather have the telescopic truncheon. Extended, with a hard strike to the elbow or knee it will drop the attacker. That knife is a flashy liability rather then a viable street weapon.

I'd rather have the telescopic truncheon. Extended, with a hard strike to the elbow or knee it will drop the attacker. That knife is a flashy liability rather then a viable street weapon.

They look like cheap carbon steel affairs, not enough weight to them compared to the truncheon.

These weapons seem rather pointless, in that they are surely no more dangerous than an ordinary long knife. I suppose the purpose is to look threatening, and if stopped in the street, you would have less chance of argu9ing you carried one for legitimate reasons.

The serrated bits might do a lot of damage, but you could run right through someone with a long, conventional straight blade.

I rarely stab people so I am no expert.

The new ban is on selling these knives. I wonder how they will define them legally to differentiate them from large , legitimately useful knives, in a way that would stand up in court.

P.S. Zombies are easily distracted with glove puppets, and then you can despatch them with a claw hammer.

Until now, they were legal to own, sell etc. But, as with all blades, you needed good reason to carry one. And I can't think of a single reason that would justify carrying one of those (short of the zombie apocalypse).

As a libertarian, I take a dim view of law-upon-law, ban-upon-ban.

The new law sounds like what happened to the Japanese Katana sword in the UK in 2008 after a series of incidents with them.

The Purchase and Sale is now a criminal offence

(with a 4yr prison sentence)

i imagine those already in possesion can be kept?

But resale would be a criminal offence.

The same law's will still apply for carrying an offensive weapon in public.

I assumed they were fully banned already.

Their effectiveness as a weapon is irrelevant, they will appeal to certain types because of their vicious looks and they will show them and use them as a threat.

The new ban is on selling these knives. I wonder how they will define them legally to differentiate them from large , legitimately useful knives, in a way that would stand up in court.

Good question. If you take off the green paracord and zombie logos are there any features in the knife that could not be included in a "multi-purpose survival knife", also, if I paint my pen-knife green and put a zombie sticker on it does that make it a zombie knife?

These weapons seem rather pointless, in that they are surely no more dangerous than an ordinary long knife. I suppose the purpose is to look threatening, and if stopped in the street, you would have less chance of argu9ing you carried one for legitimate reasons.

The serrated bits might do a lot of damage, but you could run right through someone with a long, conventional straight blade.

I rarely stab people so I am no expert.

P.S. Zombies are easily distracted with glove puppets, and then you can despatch them with a claw hammer.

a blade with—

(i)a cutting edge;

(ii)a serrated edge; and

(iii)images or words (whether on the blade or handle) that suggest that it is to be used for the purpose of violence.”.

Thats the change... seems a bit odd because you could sell the same thing as shown but either have no words, or call it Puppy Love.

To kill zombies of course! :D

a blade with—

(i)a cutting edge;

(ii)a serrated edge; and

(iii)images or words (whether on the blade or handle) that suggest that it is to be used for the purpose of violence.”.

Thats the change... seems a bit odd because you could sell the same thing as shown but either have no words, or call it Puppy Love.

Or, possibly, the words "Zombie Knife".

a blade with—

(i)a cutting edge;

(ii)a serrated edge; and

Or sell the para-cord and zombie-war stickers separately?

In fact I think it's arguable that the knife shown next to the truncheon (incidentally the weapon used in the only known killing) does not meet the definition since a small green logo does not automatically suggest a purpose of violence to me.