House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reddog

Dalian Atkinson Dead - Trigger For A Good Old Fashioned 2011 Style Riot?

Tasered to death!?

I saw the news story break earlier and the Police were refusing to give any details but thanks to the world wide web the identity of the man was named locally by residents.

Tasered to death!?

I saw the news story break earlier and the Police were refusing to give any details but thanks to the world wide web the identity of the man was named locally by residents.

Sorry, slight exaggeration, he was tasered, then he died. Not suggesting the police were doing anything incorrect. Although I am sure many will be chomping at the bit to do that!

I just wonder what determines a security alert with the Police these days?

We all know how they seem to go out of their way to seemingly play down so many attacks these days that you have to wonder what went on?

Dalian Atkinson Dead - Trigger For A Good Old Fashioned 2011 Style Riot?

Brave topic title rd.

Some might construe this an incitement to violence. Time to don the bacofoil onesie?

Neighbours described hearing 'a lot of shouting and police' outside the family home in Telford at around 1.30am.

Officers from West Mercia Police rushed to the scene amid concerns 'for the safety of an individual'.

When police arrived they used a Taser on 48-year-old Atkinson. The ex-footballer received emergency medical attention but was pronounced dead at around 3am.

Brave topic title rd.

Some might construe this an incitement to violence. Time to don the bacofoil onesie?

Sorry, but there are a lot of people looking for a riot, you dont have to be a genius to think this might be a flash point.

Mods feel free to change the title if you think not appropriate (I am not able to)

It's unfolding fast, sounds like a drunk man was tasered? A Porsche? Visiting?

I'm glad witnesses are giving their stories to the media.

http://news.sky.com/story/ex-aston-villa-player-dies-in-police-tasering-10537438

Witness Paula Quinn said she heard shouting outside and when she looked out of the window she saw two police officers and a local resident having "loud discussions".

She told Sky News the man was "stumbling" towards the police.

She said: "The police officer shouted something about deploying the Taser but because the gentleman was still stumbling forwards he deployed the Taser anyway.

"Then the gentleman just dropped like a lead balloon and landed straight on the floor."

Ms Quinn added: "It all went quiet for seconds. I can only assume the man was now subdued. Numerous police vehicles and paramedics arrived. I heard the paramedics working on him and then they took him away in the ambulance."

Mr Atkinson was believed to have been visiting his father, believed to be aged in his 80s, who lives in the cul-de-sac.

Neighbours said the retired football star, who drives a Porsche, was well-known among people in the street, making frequent visits there.

I hope this doesn't get turned into a race thing, when the question really is whether or not tasers are too dangerous and whether there are safer ways of restraining someone.

I have been iffy about widening use of Tasers because of the potential effect on the heart.

One guy in Exeter doused himself in petrol or similar, the police tasered him anyway so he caught fire and died.

I don't see them as a safe weapon just because they work without causing harm to most people.

I have been iffy about widening use of Tasers because of the potential effect on the heart.

One guy in Exeter doused himself in petrol or similar, the police tasered him anyway so he caught fire and died.

I don't see them as a safe weapon just because they work without causing harm to most people.

They are a dangerous weapon for anyone with a health issue. They should only be used as a last resort or if the person is carrying a weapon and they can't be talked down. Modern police just go for the quick easy option.