House Price Crash Forum

£24 Per Person Per Night To Camp In The Uk

stuckin2up2down

HOLA441

Plus a minimum 2 night stay and the place with capacity for 600 people was fully booked weeks in advance. I felt like I was being ripped off. I've stayed in travelodges for about the same.

Why is England so bad at camping, in France I believe there are places you can camp for free or walkers huts that people can stay in overnight for free.

Camping is great, however busy campsites are awful. I couldn't even get a decent pitch for my tent and had to wait a long time to do washing up so just gave up in the end.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Right to roam in Jockland. Camp anywhere within reason.

Just what I was about to say, but beware the Bonnies banks of Loch Lomond, where Police are known to move campers on if they're unruly. Due to hordes of Glaswegians going there, getting pi$$ed and leaving a mess behind.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Just what I was about to say, but beware the Bonnies banks of Loch Lomond, where Police are known to move campers on if they're unruly. Due to hordes of Glaswegians going there, getting pi$$ed and leaving a mess behind.

I think its banned at loch lomand now, load of crap was being left behind on the banks on the east side after that park in balloch.

HOLA446

Plus a minimum 2 night stay and the place with capacity for 600 people was fully booked weeks in advance. I felt like I was being ripped off. I've stayed in travelodges for about the same.

Why is England so bad at camping, in France I believe there are places you can camp for free or walkers huts that people can stay in overnight for free.

Camping is great, however busy campsites are awful. I couldn't even get a decent pitch for my tent and had to wait a long time to do washing up so just gave up in the end.

England isn't bad at camping per se

Englanders are just good at extorting money for access

HOLA447

I was about £15 per night average, but campsites and hotels are cashing in on the Staycation boom dues to terrorism fears.

Staycations in the UK are up 43% this year due to holidaymakers fear of terror attacks in Europe.

50% mark up in hotel rates in the West Country this summer.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Can't move for staycationers round where I am this Summer (Chichester). And language students. And, for some reason, hordes of chinese tourists.

Can't get a hotel. caravan park or camping space for love or money.

I have seen quite a few Facebook posts from friends staycationing at Bracklesham Bay that is around Chichester isn't it?

HOLA4410

Right to roam in Jockland. Camp anywhere within reason.

Right to roam all across the UK. Trespass is a civil matter not criminal. The worst that happens is that the landowner tells you to bugger off. 99.9% of the time, the land owner doesn't even know you're there.

You're perfectly within your rights already to walk anywhere and camp anywhere[1] - provided you shift in the unlikely event that you're asked to. It really irritates me that people go grovelling, cap in hand to politicians begging for permission and "right to roam" laws for rights they practically already have.

As to why it's pricey in the UK: population density.

[1] Although I've noticed copper (mis?)using an ancient vagrancy act sometimes.

HOLA4411

I paid £34 per night in Lyme Regis area last week. Mind you the place had a pool, a shop and kids activities etc. Not bad really.

The field with just toilets option was £21 per night but that was a few miles from the beach.

Edit: That's for 2 adults, 3 children plus a dog.

HOLA4412

I camped up here in May with my pal a few years back. Loch Brandy. Cracking place. It was one of those really warm spring days - so I just took my summer sleeping bag. Big mistake.

700m up in the highlands in May. The top of the Loch froze over it was so cold. Must have been about -8 or 10.

Couldn't sleep at all. Woke up in the morning and both of us were doing some sun dance as it was coming up over the ridge coz we were so cold. Must have been close to hypothermia. Bit delirious really. Weird. Saw a big group of stags pass just over the ridge as the sun came up. That was worth the pain. Maybe.

IMG_0123p.jpg

HOLA4413

You can stay in a (dorm room, but often they are well underoccupied) hostel with a decent breakfast in most european countries for the same cost as a nights camping in England now. Even in England, the differential between a BnB/hostel and a camping pitch is completely negligible at a lot of sites. There are still cheap ones about though....

Anyway, paying for the 'experience' I guess, supply and demand etc, etc. I like camping, but I'm not paying a premium for it vs a roof.

Unless you're staying at a genuinely wonderful location, why not just set up the tent in the back garden and drive to a beach/woodland in the morning ;-)

HOLA4414

You can wild camp, if you are willing to take the risk of being moved on, practically anywhere in England/Wales. The trick is to turn up as night is falling, and be gone early. Camp in a secluded place where you aren't easily noticed (e.g. close to a hedge away from footpaths etc). Obviously don't start fires, leave litter or make a lot of noise. Best done as a single person or a couple - and it probably helps if you are cycling or have a van (as they are more anonymous than car).

Beaches, woodland and parks are good spots. Used to do it a lot in my 20s.

HOLA4415

Right to roam all across the UK. Trespass is a civil matter not criminal. The worst that happens is that the landowner tells you to bugger off. 99.9% of the time, the land owner doesn't even know you're there.

You're perfectly within your rights already to walk anywhere and camp anywhere[1] - provided you shift in the unlikely event that you're asked to. It really irritates me that people go grovelling, cap in hand to politicians begging for permission and "right to roam" laws for rights they practically already have.

As to why it's pricey in the UK: population density.

[1] Although I've noticed copper (mis?)using an ancient vagrancy act sometimes.

As long as you do not leave anything behind apart from footprints, no animals are disturbed, no crops are damaged....... ;)

HOLA4416

All boils down again to being in too crowded a country.

In the Lakes (and other national parks?) I believe wild camping is accepted as long as you're out of sight of roads (and not just because you're unlikely to be found there by anyone official).

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Isn't Scotland full of mosquitoes?

Midges. Smaller than mosquitoes, get clouds of the horrible little things when it's really bad. Generally find more of them on the western side. Pray for a bit of a breeze, and if camping defintely have a tent with a built-in net (although the last time quite a few of the blighters still got in).

HOLA4424

Don't search for camp sites, search for angling clubs and waters that allow night fishing. Small local clubs charge £30 to £50 per year. Stay as many nights as you like camped beside a river or lake. Just make sure your tent is green and dont ****** off the anglers.

HOLA4425

Archived