House Price Crash Forum
Si1

£50,000 4 Bed Terrace In Leeds

Crikey!

Still, probably nothing that a skip and £20-odd K couldn't sort out.

No doubt it will come up on HUTH in due course, with some LL rubbing his hands at the rental yield he's going to get.

Not a huge amount of value in that. It's not unusual for places to go for 60-80K in that part of Armley. Still if you've got the time, and access to a cheap skip, it might be worth your while. The trouble with Armley, of course, is that some streets are plagued by anti-social behaviour while others are OK. Likely you won't know until you move in (they don't generally like non-locals in that part of the world either).

Those old back to backs are also difficult (expensive) to keep warm as well as having limited natural daylight and soundproofing.

Still good enough for tenants, innit? Just rent it out.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Not a huge amount of value in that. It's not unusual for places to go for 60-80K in that part of Armley. Still if you've got the time, and access to a cheap skip, it might be worth your while. The trouble with Armley, of course, is that some streets are plagued by anti-social behaviour while others are OK. Likely you won't know until you move in.

Those old back to backs are also difficult (expensive) to keep warm.

Still good enough for tenants, innit? Just rent it out.

Not unusual for places to go for 60k yes, buy that's 2 bedders, this is a 4 bedder. My missus said she's not living in armley anyway, and besides I reckon they'll get cheaper.

Not unusual for places to go for 60k yes, buy that's 2 bedders, this is a 4 bedder. My missus said she's not living in armley anyway, and besides I reckon they'll get cheaper.

Do it up, and flip it, Si. You know it makes sense.

Armley is like there's at least three parallel communities living there. There's the always lived there but poor (generally decent folk), there's the problem families and there's the hopeful gentrifiers. The last group have been saying Armley is up and coming for more than a decade. In fairness, there's a decent bit of community activity (particularly on the arts side), but the antisocial lot are a significant minority and make it deeply unpleasant. I suspect it's long standing association with the prison and asbestos factory depresses perception and prices in the area. Certainly no worse than parts of east London where you could easily pay 4-5x the price for a 2 bedder - albeit slightly better built.

Do it up, and flip it, Si. You know it makes sense.

Armley is like there's at least three parallel communities living there. There's the always lived there but poor (generally decent folk), there's the problem families and there's the hopeful gentrifiers. The last group have been saying Armley is up and coming for more than a decade. In fairness, there's a fair bit of community activity, but the antisocial lot are a significant minority and make it deeply unpleasant. I suspect it's long standing association with the prison and asbestos factory depresses perception and prices in the area.

I agree with everything you say here except the flipping bit. I'm not in the trade and it's a falling market so don't reckon I could profit from it, as I believe you'd probably agree. Edited by Si1

That just makes me sad that as a society we have so much waste going on in the form of many varieties of 'help' yet that poor person who is in genuine need just slips through the net. Look at it:

- Somebody who still had some pride in themselves evidenced by their clothes being covered on the racks to prevent being covered in 'dust' and an attempt to catch the water leaks in buckets to prevent further damage.

- A tiny radiator near the bed to try and keep some warmth in something that must leak heat like a sieve.

- With the level of damp in that place the person must have been continuously ill.

I hope the place is being sold to help the person into a 'better place'. It would be a disgrace if it was being sold by the children of the person because they had been allowed to pass on in that environment.

As a society we should all be ashamed. We clearly have it very very wrong.

That just makes me sad that as a society we have so much waste going on in the form of many varieties of 'help' yet that poor person who is in genuine need just slips through the net. Look at it:

- Somebody who still had some pride in themselves evidenced by their clothes being covered on the racks to prevent being covered in 'dust' and an attempt to catch the water leaks in buckets to prevent further damage.

- A tiny radiator near the bed to try and keep some warmth in something that must leak heat like a sieve.

- With the level of damp in that place the person must have been continuously ill.

I hope the place is being sold to help the person into a 'better place'. It would be a disgrace if it was being sold by the children of the person because they had been allowed to pass on in that environment.

As a society we should all be ashamed. We clearly have it very very wrong.

I agree. The problem isn't so much a hoarding one - but a storage one (although the hoarding is certainly borderline). There's barely any furniture in the place.

For various reasons, I can so easily see myself ending up in a similar situation. No kids, and missus with a bit of a hoarding problem, a slight hoarding tendency myself (usually I do a massive stuff purge when I see things are getting beyond a little cluttered). So easy to imagine slowly slipping into something like this.

I can cope in my 40s, but in my 70s/80s? I don't think I'm alone either. I regularly stay with friends and you can see their homes slowly filling up. Nice tasteful stuff on the whole, but I think it's a problem endemic to modern society.

Perhaps they hoard because it is their stuff/security, they do not want to get rid of because they may not be able to afford to buy it again, or past history memories, sentimental reasons......stuff is on the whole cheap and can be relatively easy to replace, a habitual and secure home is rather more elusive to come across.....lots of stuff no safe place to store it. ;)

Edited by winkie

Looking at those pics, nothing that a heavy duty clear out, some roof/gutter repairs and a redecorate couldn't turn into a decent family home for less than the costs of most deposits. Not being from Leeds I couldn't comment on the desirability or otherwise of the area

The biggest headache with back to backs from a buying perspective is that most mortgage lenders don't like them (yet will happily lend on flats....what exactly is the difference?????) so its usually necessary to be a cash buyer - although that's far from impossible at that sort of pricing. The one's that still survive these days are generally the better built ones and are no worse to maintain and heat than any other similarly aged houses & they can make fantastic value for money homes - I've certainly no regrets about having bought one.

The biggest headache with back to backs...

Never seen those before. Are they over the country or is it just a Leeds thing? There does seem to be something weird about the concept, but can't say exactly what. I guess if you could buy the one behind you, it would make an impressive house.

Never seen those before. Are they over the country or is it just a Leeds thing? There does seem to be something weird about the concept, but can't say exactly what. I guess if you could buy the one behind you, it would make an impressive house.

Afaik they're a northern thing where it's very cold in winter. I've not seen them in Liverpool or Manchester but there are whole suburbs of them in Leeds and other Yorkshire towns.

They were all over the country I think as they were relatively cheap to build & space efficient, most have been demolished but pockets of them still exist in places like Leeds & Rossendale where I live. The street I live on is a mix of conventional properties (built circa 1850 as farm cottages) and back to backs (built 10-20 years later to house mill workers).

A couple of the back to backs in my terrace have been bought up & knocked through - they do make impressively large houses, although I dread to think how much work would have been needed to convert them, even the internal walls are over a foot thick!

Never seen back to backs before I moved to Yorkshire. The downsides are chiefly lack of space, natural light, privacy and insulation - and for those in Armley, possible contamination with asbestos dust - if the owner didn't take advantage of the various grants in the 90s etc.

They were cheaply built to house factory/mill workers.

Space wise I think they were originally designed as 2 up 2 down or possibly even 1 up 1 down. That means second bedrooms are inevitably in the loft, kitchens and other rooms are small. No back yard, of course, but some have front - albeit postage stamp sized - gardens. Quite often, as in this case, there's no outside space at all. They often do have cellars though.

I'd actually say if you know the street and surrounds are good, then 50K isn't bad for it. But I can easily see these reverting to £40K in the coming years. One poor soul on my street had paid more than £100K for theirs, our landlord just over £80K - and I never saw any of them sell for more than £70ishK in the five years I was living there as it slowly became a street of rentals. That perhaps tells you all you need to know - they might tick up a bit, or down a bit - but you won't make your fortune from one - unless as a slumlord.

I never heard of any problems getting mortgages on them. One of my relatives managed to get a 100% mortgage on one.

Crikey!

Still, probably nothing that a skip and £20-odd K couldn't sort out.

No doubt it will come up on HUTH in due course, with some LL rubbing his hands at the rental yield he's going to get.

6 skips

Knocking two through could be cool. Have the first floor as a big living/dining/kitchen area, ground floor for bedrooms and bathroom, loft for an office.

Knocking two through could be cool. Have the first floor as a big living/dining/kitchen area, ground floor for bedrooms and bathroom, loft for an office.

Good idea - it still looks grim as fck after a quick stroll around on google streetview

Good idea - it still looks grim as fck after a quick stroll around on google streetview

Yep, there's worse in Leeds, but armley is indeed a colourful place.

I lived in a knocked through back-to-back as a student in Bradford. They only knocked through a doorway downstairs, and the landing, leaving most of the supporting wall in place, and two parallel staircases divided by a wall.

The bathroom was converted from a small upstairs bedroom across the ginnal ( the passageway leading to the back yard ). The outlet from the bath emptied straight down through the floor.

The first morning I was there, I treated myself to a big deep bubble bath as my previous place only had a shower. On leaving the house to go to lectures, I discovered a huge mass of foam in the ginnal, flowing out onto the street, down the steep hill and across the inner ring-road. The cars and busses were stirring it up as they passed sending clumps of bubbles floating off into the sky.

Ssc, I think you are underestimating how far these could fall.

Out of interest, what sort of prices are typical for these types of properties in your neck of the woods?

Near to me sale prices have ranged from £30-65,000 in the last three years (most are 2-3 beds - the 3 beds having loft conversions), with the most recent being a 2 bed in good order going for £48,000.

While I wouldn't say prices are exactly rising round here, there don't seem to be that many bargains (i.e. sub £40,000) any more.

Out of interest, what sort of prices are typical for these types of properties in your neck of the woods?

Near to me sale prices have ranged from £30-65,000 in the last three years (most are 2-3 beds - the 3 beds having loft conversions), with the most recent being a 2 bed in good order going for £48,000.

While I wouldn't say prices are exactly rising round here, there don't seem to be that many bargains (i.e. sub £40,000) any more.

Not completely sure as it's not an area I check often, SSC seems to know...