House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Royw6

Margate

I have read a lot about how Margate is now a town on the up. I was there for the soul weekend and it seems nice enough, but obviously I don't know more than a day visit of what it's really like. It seems just a little bit too far from London to be commutable, but I did really like it - gorgous houses. I am just intrugied to hear others views on it as a place to live.

I wouldn't move to Thanet, even if I was rich. There are crime problems, many of the residents hate the place, and you are in the middle of nowhere - the nearest international airport is 80 miles away!!!

Also ... the residents can't/won't travel outside of Thanet, even with access to a decent public transport system!

Edited by DebtFree2011

For reasons that are too complex to go into now, I visited Margate this week to view a house. I hadn't been to Margate since the early 80's and I had hoped it had improved; it hasn't I am afraid. The location, as another poster has mentioned, is fairly cut off and you can 'taste' the poverty and deprivation. It seems to offer good value for money but I think it still has too many issues to be seriously considered. Bits of Thanet seem OK but are far too low lying to be seriously considered. An interesting conversation with a local business person confirmed my feelings about social deprivation etc. so I think I will pass on the Isle of Thanet for now.

Interestingly the agent I contacted later sent me a flyer offering 'advantageous' management fees on buy to let. I am not sure why they thought I might be interested as it was the last thing on my mind.

A man had his throat slit and was repeatedly stabbed in front of horrified families in a seaside town, witnesses said.
The victim, in his 30s, was said to have been knifed multiple times in his chest and abdomen during the attack in Margate, Kent.

It sounds wonderful!

Source :- http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/margate-stabbing-man-had-throat-slit-and-was-stabbed-repeatedly-in-front-of-horrified-families-a3319251.html

It's probably a lone wolf mental person so nothing to worry about.

Looks like Margate is to become the new Shoreditch.. but unfortunately the locals will have to move else where...where the arts and gay crowd lead the others will follow.... <_<

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/aug/17/coastal-towns-trendy-arts-help-local-community

“With its brightly coloured big wheel, helter-skelter and swing boats, Margate’s Dreamland offers visitors a trip back to British seaside holidays of yesteryear. But the amusement park offers the local community more than just nostalgia. Its 1920s ballroom plays host to a new support group for lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transexual young people, set up by artists who were part of the London queer art scene and have moved to the town, part of a burgeoning arts scene that has seen it dubbed Shoreditch-on-Sea…..”

Edited by skomer