House Price Crash Forum

Wolf Whistling Is Misogynistic?!

anonguest

HOLA441

So it seems that at least one police force has taken upon itself to treat wolf whistling as a crime?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/features/magazine-37023761/37023761

Now I for one think it is distasteful to say the very least BUT.......my understanding is that Wolf Whistling is in essence an attempt, albeit very crude, to 'flatter' a woman purely based on her appearance?

Whereas, the dictionary defines Misogyny as......"Dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women".

I cannot see how a bloke commenting "Nice Ars* Luv" to a passing woman can be construed as woman hate?? Surely, if anything, it is merely a very Neanderthal way of said bloke expressing his admiration of said womans appearance??

I shall step back now and await the incoming ire from all my fellow HPC OT tenants for being so un-PC.

HOLA442

How far do you go with this?

I was at a barbecue, and asked to pick up litter, which I did, and one of the ladies said they wanted to look at at my bum in tight jeans. I wasn't really offended!

Nobody whistled, so I guess no "offence" was committed!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I've never had a problem with wolf whistles and general complementary comments from men. I find it flattering. Not offensive at all. I occasionally still get complementary comments and it always makes me smile.

In the 70's and early 80's until the ever increasing whinging started the male female banter was all in good humour in my experience.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Ive never wolf whistled at a woman.

Mainly because I cant.

Ive had my bum pinched by strange women more times (a lot, esp. in my 20s) then I have eveb pinched strange womens bums (0)

Ive only pinched GF bums.

yep, in the late '90s it got to the point that I stopped using the work photocopier. All the ones pinching my bum were frustrated dowdy married women in their late 40's early 50s. It was a bit of a bore.

HOLA4410

yep, in the late '90s it got to the point that I stopped using the work photocopier. All the ones pinching my bum were frustrated dowdy married women in their late 40's early 50s. It was a bit of a bore.

These were strange women i..e people I did not know.

The women I did know, at work, were worst.

I guess its whether something is unwanted or harrassing.

HOLA4411

This does return to a point - how many married women 35+ would be up for it?

I reckon its high.

AS long as you catch then before they 55+.

HOLA4412

This does return to a point - how many married women 35+ would be up for it?

I reckon its high.

AS long as you catch then before they 55+.

I take part in a rural pastime that is a group activity. Almost everybody in the countryside (true rural folk) is bed hopping during their late 30's and 40s. It tends to subside in the late 50's although some carry on into their dotage. Everybody thinks nobody knows who is shagging who, but everybody does, except the partners usually. And yes, I know people that have left properties via drainpipes and others who have 'had' both mother and daughter. It's endless entertainment.

HOLA4413

Ive never wolf whistled at a woman.

Mainly because I cant.

Ive had my bum pinched by strange women more times (a lot, esp. in my 20s) then I have eveb pinched strange womens bums (0)

Ive only pinched GF bums.

Same here. Middle aged women were the worst in my experience. There's also a guy at work who's goosed me from time to time. As far as I can tell he's straight, but just can't resist flirting with either sex.

It was tricky in the 90s as a young bloke knowing what was socially acceptable, but now it's a right minefield. Personally, I think it adds to life to give each other compliments and indulge in a mild bit of flirting - but also no real loss to me not to bother either. I can see why some would get annoyed by wolf whistling every time they walked past a building site etc, but hardly worth criminalising.

HOLA4414

I take part in a pastime that is a group activity. Almost everybody is bed hopping during their late 30's and 40s. It tends to subside in the 50's although some carry on into their dotage. Everybody thinks nobody knows who is shagging who, but everybody does, except the partners usually.

Orgies?

Or AmDram.

HOLA4415

I don't know about a bore; I found it very uncomfortable. Open sexual desire from a woman thirty years older was very unwelcome at the time. And would be now tbh. I don't mind an older woman but there are limits.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I don't know about a bore; I found it very uncomfortable. Open sexual desire from a woman thirty years older was very unwelcome at the time. And would be now tbh. I don't mind an older woman but there are limits.

The worst was someone who was the same age as me, they turned into a stalker and I lost about a year of freedom.

The older ones were a bore and I just wrote them off as 'sad' as they weren't attractive but were instead 'creepy' in their manner - fnar fnar

I did have an attractive one, and she was great fun, which I posted about in another thread She was fun not because she was attractive but because she just wasn't creepy as it was all upfront.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Two very mature ladies in our accounts department were talking about my suitability as a sperm donor on Friday...wouldn't touch any of the crusty old bats but you have a laugh nonetheless. Now, if it was the other way around, suspect you wouldn't last the day. I just don't know where this feminism thing is going, in my work experience it has been the middle age women who have shocked me the most. Feminism seems to think men are the devil and women are a deity, yet both are deeply flawed. Need to be careful about what sort of society they want.

HOLA4421

So it seems that at least one police force has taken upon itself to treat wolf whistling as a crime?

It's far easier to improve their stats (conviction rates) with this nonsense than by trying to get city banksters convicted for financial fraud... :rolleyes:

HOLA4422

It's far easier to improve their stats (conviction rates) with this nonsense than by trying to get city banksters convicted for financial fraud... :rolleyes:

It's so much easier than targeting real thugs who might hit back. ?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

It's 90 Frank :blink:

HOLA4425

...... I can see why some would get annoyed by wolf whistling every time they walked past a building site etc, but hardly worth criminalising.

My point is that it is not defined in law to be criminal - and that this police force is stretching credulity and the interpretation of the English language to use another law (relating to unambiguous hate offences) to achieve their aim of stamping out a practice that has probably existed since the days we lived in caves. Since when did 'social engineeering' become a remit of the police?

That fact that, in the grand scheme of things, this perceived offence is somehow deemed more worthy of public funds to fight than, say, other genuinely and more widely agreed serious offences is a separate matter.

There used to be a time when such silly PC gestures would have fallen at the first legal hurdle and never even made it to court. Even if they didn't and such a case made it to court the cooler heads of the judicary (combined their insistence on acting only according to what words of law actually mean, rather than what some SJW would like them to mean) meant that the case would fail.

Today, however, I am much less confident that one could successfully defend themselves purely and simply on the basis of my assertion that wolf whistling is not misogynistic and therefore not hate and therefore not a crime. For all the dislike that they are often the target of the legal profession is actually, for the most part, a bastion in maintaining standards in respect of the English language and standing by what words officially mean.

But, given the intellectually perverted and morally corrupted times we live in I can sadly easily see logic being twisted and the language being brutalised in a court of law to set a landmark legal precedent and successfully convict someone of publically extolling the delights of a passing womans legs, bum, whatever.

The road to hell and all that......... :(

Archived