House Price Crash Forum

5 Things That Would Happen If We All Stopped Eating Meat

SarahBell

HOLA441

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/five-things-would-happen-if-everyone-stopped-eating-meat-a6844811.html

Farms would go bust

Butchers would go bust
Abbatoirs would have to learn to etch carrots ornately or go bust

Reduction in the amount of leather available.

I suspect the days of arguing that animal manure was a major contributor to soil fertility are over.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Even if girls can be veggies, I reckon blokes need meat. Mrs JTB is a vegetarian and I've given it a go. It is not a satisfactory life.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/five-things-would-happen-if-everyone-stopped-eating-meat-a6844811.html

Farms would go bust

Butchers would go bust

Abbatoirs would have to learn to etch carrots ornately or go bust

Reduction in the amount of leather available.

I suspect the days of arguing that animal manure was a major contributor to soil fertility are over.

People would learn new skills, farms would convert to arable, life would go on.

But I do disagree with some of the core tenets in the article.

• Healthcare - I don't think "Meat, dairy foods and eggs – all of which contain cholesterol and saturated fat – are the main culprits in obesity, which contributes to the UK's top killers" is as simple as they suggest. Vegetarians/vegans are more likely to be thin because they pay attention to their diet, not because of any intrinsic healthier aspect to it.
  • Antibiotic resistance - this is an approach problem, not intrinsic to the argument. You can equally well say that if people just eat meat instead of that factory produced grain then we'd all have lower quantities of cancer producing pesticides in our bodies.

They'd be better off focusing on the core aspects of their argument.

HOLA449

Even if girls can be veggies, I reckon blokes need meat. Mrs JTB is a vegetarian and I've given it a go. It is not a satisfactory life.

Food preferences are funny things.

I haven't eaten meat for more than 20 years. I gave it up as I always found the texture unpleasant. The longer I've gone without eating it, the more unpalatable it has become in my mind.

My younger sister is however a veracious meat eater, and was once told by her doctor that if she didn't add some vegetables to her diet she'd end up in real trouble in short order.

If the Chinese continue to develop a taste for the western meaty diet we'll find that there isn't the capacity to produce enough to satisfy demand, and prices will go up, pushing most people into eating less.

Despite what the vegans may say, getting appropriate nutrition without meat or dairy products is something that takes a real effort. (It is of course possible, but requires an attention to your diet that most people would find too much trouble). I do consume dairy products, which helps a lot, but I still need to keep a close eye on my nutrition. Iron, B vitamins and protein are the main areas I watch.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

People would learn new skills, farms would convert to arable, life would go on.

But I do disagree with some of the core tenets in the article.

• Healthcare - I don't think "Meat, dairy foods and eggs – all of which contain cholesterol and saturated fat – are the main culprits in obesity, which contributes to the UK's top killers" is as simple as they suggest. Vegetarians/vegans are more likely to be thin because they pay attention to their diet, not because of any intrinsic healthier aspect to it.
  • Antibiotic resistance - this is an approach problem, not intrinsic to the argument. You can equally well say that if people just eat meat instead of that factory produced grain then we'd all have lower quantities of cancer producing pesticides in our bodies.
They'd be better off focusing on the core aspects of their argument.

A lot of grazing land is completely unfit for arable farming. It would simply sit there idle.

I just had a very high-maintenance vegetarian house guest stay for the weekend. She's about 5'2" and weighs about 20 stone.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Nah. Protein BS.

Even a growing male child does not not need that much protein.

Western diets have way too much protein.

Even allowing for sub-optimal digestion, you can get by on a handful of nuts.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096

These body builders, eating tuna all the time is BS, Its cover up for knocking back steroids.

HOLA4416

Would the leather and wool industries be viable without meat as a co-product?

The British mountains could be returned to their original woodland.

HOLA4417

Meat, dairy foods and eggs – all of which contain cholesterol and saturated fat – are the main culprits in obesity

Yeah right!

Every veggie I know is overweight.

Some are. Some arnt.

A lot of Indian Idnain are overweight as they pig out of food swimming in Ghee. And stuff pure sugar sweeties.

In the West theres a tendency fr veggies to eat cheese, which is terrible.

HOLA4418

What sort of things should a veggie be eating then? I'd be interested in trying the veggie thing if I thought it was both healthy and gastronomically satisfying.

It's been too long since we had a bonkers diet thread, anyway.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

My wife is a vegetarian. She went veggie before I met her. Our kid has been brought up as a veggie.

As I sometimes point out, if there were any hunter-gatherers who just gathered the chances are, they died out pretty quickly.

I saw some recent genetic research that showed that only some Indians are genetically evolved for a vegetarian diet:

The study also found that while many individuals of European descent lacked the veggie-processing allele the majority of South Asians do not. In fact, around 70 percent of South Asian have not one, but two copies of the necessary allele for plant-based extraction of the necessary nutrients often found within fatty acids.

http://cornellsun.com/2016/04/26/healthiness-of-a-vegetarian-diet-may-depend-on-genetic-disposition/

HOLA4421

Italy going the other way, maybe.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-10/mussolini-would-be-proud-italy-proposes-jailing-reckless-vegan-parents

Savino says the belief that vegans are healthier “has been spreading in Italy” recently, a development she views with some alarm.

“There is no objection if the person making this choice is an informed adult,” she concedes, but a problem “arises” when the diet is forced on children: The bill claims that depriving minors of animal products can cause neurological disorders and anemia by leaving them iron-, zinc-, and vitamin-B12-deficient.

Savino’s solution is imprisoning these “radicalized” parents for one year — a sentence that can climb to four years if a kid actually gets sick, and six if he or she dies.

The bill is partly a reaction to several recent fiascos where the state had to remove malnourished kids from bad parents who were also vegan.

HOLA4422

What sort of things should a veggie be eating then? I'd be interested in trying the veggie thing if I thought it was both healthy and gastronomically satisfying.

It's been too long since we had a bonkers diet thread, anyway.

For healthy eating everybody should be eating mostly vegetables, topped up with The odd bit of meat and fish.

If you want to go veggie, then it's still mostly vegetables, but topped up with other stuff designed to fill the nutrient gap left by cutting out the meat and fish.

The trouble with trying to make any sort of healthy diet gastronomically satisfying is that we're hard wired to seek out sweet fatty food. Any diet plan that doesn't give you at least a little bit of what you fancy will not work as you'll just get pissed off with it.

If you really like meat then I'd keep eating it, buy try something like only having it on certain days of the week, or at certain meal times.

HOLA4423

What would we do with the millions of farm animals we have for meat?

Let them die off of old age?

Release them into the wilderness?

Eat them and raise no more?

Do we keep the chickens and cattle for egg and dairy?

Farm animals really dont have a very long life.

I remember listening to some over sentimental cr.p during the foot+mouth outbreak.

This Farmer breaking down as he described all his cattle being killed.

The presenter patting him on the back, saying Thats really sad.

The fcking animals would have been off to the abattoir in 6 months time anyhow FFS!

He's crying for the lost money not the animals.

Its a beef farm not a petting farm.

HOLA4424

Never tried to post a music link before but this one is very apt ...

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sEDw9xgSmSc"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edit for fail - just try this - Dead Eye Dick - New age girl

HOLA4425

Archived