House Price Crash Forum
Frizzers

Who Does What?

Who Owns their place? Who rents? Who has sold to rent? Who has a huge mortgage? Who has a huge mortgage on a number of properties?

I think it'd be interesting to know.

For what it's worth, I bought my first flat in 1992. I now own my house, but thanks to a divorce, have a disproportionately large mortgage. Had prices risen as they have previously, it would now be manageable, but they haven't and I'm getting nervous and am on the verge of STR. It's a quality property so I shouldn't have too many problems selling it, as long as I don't ask too much.

That's me. How about you?

STMBIWM (Sold to move back in with mum) due to me and my ex-girlfriend splitting up.

Neither of us could afford to take on the house on our own, or buy anything worthwhile.

Since uni have travelled, lived (and rented) in Hawaii, Asia & Canada (for far cheaper than living in the South East). Now back in the UK, a couple of months at parents and in Feb moving up to London to rent a room. If the market falls I will buy but generally have been so off put about buying that I am more likely to go and do another ski season at the end of the year instead.

Self employed, own/run a small software company.

Edited by padders

Never bought, always rented. I was never in a position to buy due to various circumstances, mostly revolving around crummy employers and moving about a bit - up until about 2003. Finally I was in a stable enough position to settle down and decided to start saving a decent deposit. I didn't really pay a huge amount of attention to the housing market until I felt I had a comfortable deposit, (2004), at which point I started looking around. Noticed the prices had gone crazy over the last few years, and after many alarm bells started going off about the state of the market I decided to simply wait until it dropped again. Started paying a LOT more attention to the economy and learning a lot more about it. On the plus side I have a nice deposit and no debts of any description.

Edited by JBFTB

Owner occupier debt free. Lived in Fort Powell on the Shropshire/Worcestershire

border since 1977 with Mrs Powell. Bought for 22k there is lot of land with house.

Few houses nearby. Just well off highly educated middle class people. House is

worth a lot of money if I could sell. Fomer professional landlord however sold all

btl and invested money wisely. Looking forward to retiring later this year at 55 and

watching new labour destroy the UK like they did in 1976.

border since 1977 with Mrs Powell. Bought for 22k there is lot of land with house.

Few houses nearby. Just well off highly educated middle class people. House is

worth a lot of money if I could sell. Fomer professional landlord however sold all

btl and invested money wisely. Looking forward to retiring later this year at 55 and

watching new labour destroy the UK like they did in 1976.

Sold last August in Cheshire and moved back to Cardiff, have been renting since then in a typical BTL appartment in Cardiff Bay (an area they are covering with 2 bed flats) We are very disappointed about the state of the properties for sale in Cardiff, many houses have been on the market for over a year and we have seen many that are in a very poor state but still the vendors are asking unrealistic prices. We have made 2 offers both fallen through and we have incurred costs. It seems that very few sellers "have" to move and are just speculating that if someone comes along with the asking prices they will go. We still cant understand why prices are so high give the state of property on offer and that the South Wales economy is supported largely by the public sector. Anyway we have money in the bank covering our rental but we want our own place, both in our 50's no debts but want a house. Should we wait? but if so for how long? Hence the name Frustrated.

Living in Canberra, Australia.

Bought to Let in 1979 (when I still lived with family at Mum's insistence after father's demise). At one stage had 3 properties; living in 1 and renting out other 2.

Sold rental properties in 1992.

Sold principal residence to rent in 2004.

worked abroad until 1999. came home invested in business. got on my financial uk feet 2001/2.

classic missed the boat FTB.

forgot to add:

renting and saving with housing association at about £65 pwk for 2 bed flat.

Edited by right_freds_dead

Partner bought in 2003 and now married joint owner. Low repayments, nice area but not big enough for our needs. Do worry about negative equity though even though asking prices now are double what we owe.

Am renting as cheap as I can in Bristol which aint easy, as i only get paid in peanuts :blink:

265pcm all in, but I think I should be able to get something better and/or cheaper with a bit of hunting around.

I am trying to save as I would feel better with a bit of emergency cash. The trouble is that I think my money is decreasing in value, as I only want to buy essential stuff which seems to be inflating at 10%

The way I see it is that I can not afford a place that offers quality of life, so I might as well get the cheapest I can find and save for all I am worth.

Now renting and saving deposit.

Bought 2 bed terrace in London 1997 for 70k, sold in 2001 for 145k and moved down under and rented.

Now back in London renting with partner, saving pennies, no debts, watching house prices. Will buy somewhere eventually, but not in an overcooked market, overstreching ourselves, with the risk of negative equity looming large.

Relaxed and patient

Fizz

B)

Hrm, not the house near to the road with the st georges cross flying outside?

Oh, and as for me, I'm visceral and omnipotent.

Edited by BuyingBear