House Price Crash Forum

The Real Cost Of Bad Neighbours - £37,000

HOLA441

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/property/698666/Real-cost-bad-good-neighbours-property-value-housing-market

Estate agents say poor upkeep, overgrown gardens and items strewn across the lawn can devalue properties by 8.2 per cent or £17,321.

By contrast, a good neighbour can add £19,856 to the asking price.

If all else fails, blame it on your neighbours :lol:.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

People renting, that always pisses of the local owners.

People who rent like me arent going to give the same level of shits, my landlord never does repairs, everything gets a bit run down. Rented houses rarely get new front doors or conservatories.

I am not going to spend 50 quid on plants to dress the front garden, hell its enough for me just to mow and trim the hedge.

Of course if I owned it would be different I would take care of my house to a greater extent but that opportunity has been stolen from my generation unless we take on cataclysmic debt.

That 37k was never earned anyway, for generation rent that could be 2 years labours to earn that post tax. So the can ****** right off.

HOLA445
HOLA446

People renting, that always pisses of the local owners.

People who rent like me arent going to give the same level of shits, my landlord never does repairs, everything gets a bit run down. Rented houses rarely get new front doors or conservatories.

I am not going to spend 50 quid on plants to dress the front garden, hell its enough for me just to mow and trim the hedge.

Of course if I owned it would be different I would take care of my house to a greater extent but that opportunity has been stolen from my generation unless we take on cataclysmic debt.

That 37k was never earned anyway, for generation rent that could be 2 years labours to earn that post tax. So the can ****** right off.

Not being house proud I would say the opposite is true for us.

HOLA447

Estate agents say poor upkeep, overgrown gardens and items strewn across the lawn can devalue properties by 8.2 per cent or £17,321.

By contrast, a good neighbour can add £19,856 to the asking price.

A variation on keeping up with the Joneses.

An encouragement to spend spend spend - keep the consumer wheels turning and estate agents' commission up. Stepford Wives housing.

Nobody likes constant refurbs and lawn mowing next door either.

Of course there's probably a balance.

Edited by billybong

HOLA448

A variation on keeping up with the Joneses.

An encouragement to spend spend spend - keep the consumer wheels turning and estate agents' commission up. Stepford Wives housing.

Nobody likes constant refurbs and lawn mowing next door either.

Of course there's probably a balance.

Reduced income for estate agents is enough motivation for me. Short those hair gel stocks.

I keep my own stuff well maintained and tidy I only do the minimum for my house cause its rented.

A lot of my neighbors are status and competitive ***** so there is a mischievous streak in me would leave a rusting car in the drive.

HOLA449

We don't like our neighbours anyway, they're complete Hyacinth Buckets, tried selling their house for a kite-flying price, when no sales happened they blamed us and our noisy pipes (heating system was on the way out, we got it replaced eventually) rather than their +20% higher asking price than anything that had been sold.

Now we just leave crap lying around, at the moment there is a disassembled table left in the front. When the kids beds mattresses needed replacing, left one in the front garden for a day or so.

If I had some rusting cars/fridges I would ...

HOLA4410

When I moved into current rented house the neighbour (OO) was over in a shot to speak to me about my intentions for the garden...he was really quite demanding, he said he had been cutting the lawn to keep it tidy whilst it was on the letting market and I had to take this on asap, I should have left it to him but that is not in my nature...I actually have bedding plants out there now - therapy.

HOLA4411

When I moved into current rented house the neighbour (OO) was over in a shot to speak to me about my intentions for the garden...he was really quite demanding, he said he had been cutting the lawn to keep it tidy whilst it was on the letting market and I had to take this on asap, I should have left it to him but that is not in my nature...I actually have bedding plants out there now - therapy.

My only reply would have been to tell him not to start before lunchtime on a Sunday as I like a lie-in when I'm hung over.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Actually it's not so funny living next door to the neighbours from hell when they're OO as there's no-one to complain to. If there are any disputes you have to declare it when you come to sell. In the meantime trying to do viewings when there's rubbish in the garden etc is a bit of a nightmare. Pretending you get on with the neighbours is also quite hard...probably best to go out when there's a viewing and let the EA do it. I just had a sale fall through and Brexit was the excuse although I wonder if the potential purchaser took another look round after agreeing to buy. Maybe the matress in the car-port and the rubbish/toys out the front put him off :rolleyes: I'm busy re-asserting myself and putting up fences.

HOLA4414

I work from home. My place over-looks a a street of fairly sizeable back-to-back gardens.....at the moment there is pretty much 'always' someone cutting their friggin grass. The chain-reaction of OCD is just mind-blowing. Typically on a very warm day, last Sunday I counted double digits, even synchronised mowing. One contractor started at 8am Sun. Do Express readers not have anything better to do in nice weather than f@&k everyone else off? It's like a sodding competition that they think they'll add £40k to their house value. Looking forward to the end-of-Summer crash...and quieter days ;))

Any ideas to help solve my noice pollution nightmares welcome (have thought of educational/ courtesy/ consideration leaflet drop, but expect they'll end up on the late afternoon bonfires too). No-one likes being told what to do, and that's been half the problem with this insular country, a nation of individuals with no sense of community or compassion. Can't wait to leave.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Man, you're doing it all wrong.

Back in my country, when gypsies wanted to buy an expensive property, they'd move a group of 10-20 other gypsies next door. Or they'd just have them stand outside, drinking, pissing on the walls, arguing, threatening other people passing by, "flashing" them...

Then they'd show up and offer maybe 40% of the asking price. Sooner or later, they'd get it. Nobody else wanted to live in the area. A couple of days after buying, they'd move out, renovate the property and sell it for a huge profit. You guys use gardens here? How ... civilized of you.

HOLA4417

Had one neighbour like that while I was renting. She started talking to me about it out of the blue, demanding stuff and, in my best Eastern European accent I just said "I can't do that, that's where the meth lab's going to be and it needs tall grass to reduce the smell...not that it helps a lot". Needless to say, she didn't bother me again.

HOLA4418

Actually it's not so funny living next door to the neighbours from hell when they're OO as there's no-one to complain to. If there are any disputes you have to declare it when you come to sell. In the meantime trying to do viewings when there's rubbish in the garden etc is a bit of a nightmare. Pretending you get on with the neighbours is also quite hard...probably best to go out when there's a viewing and let the EA do it. I just had a sale fall through and Brexit was the excuse although I wonder if the potential purchaser took another look round after agreeing to buy. Maybe the matress in the car-port and the rubbish/toys out the front put him off :rolleyes: I'm busy re-asserting myself and putting up fences.

Indeed. Our neighbours are the victim of their own misfortune. Blaming us for their overpriced house sale falling through by sayin that we owed them x thousands and then threatening to assault me (in front of both our kids ) , resulting in the police being called out on them probably would describe them as the OO from hell. Funnily enough a front garden that is 90% moss doesn't help a sale I would think. Maybe they need some OCD gardeners?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I work from home. My place over-looks a a street of fairly sizeable back-to-back gardens.....at the moment there is pretty much 'always' someone cutting their friggin grass. The chain-reaction of OCD is just mind-blowing. Typically on a very warm day, last Sunday I counted double digits, even synchronised mowing. One contractor started at 8am Sun. Do Express readers not have anything better to do in nice weather than f@&k everyone else off? It's like a sodding competition that they think they'll add £40k to their house value. Looking forward to the end-of-Summer crash...and quieter days ;))

Any ideas to help solve my noice pollution nightmares welcome (have thought of educational/ courtesy/ consideration leaflet drop, but expect they'll end up on the late afternoon bonfires too). No-one likes being told what to do, and that's been half the problem with this insular country, a nation of individuals with no sense of community or compassion. Can't wait to leave.

Apparently years ago on a Sunday the radio used to advise people to keep the noise from radios down and noise in general because it's Sunday. Mind you quite a few years ago.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4423