House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Fermented Foods

I've always been vaguely interested in bread baking, winemaking, brewing, yoghurt etc. I'd quite like to have a go at cheese one day, but it seems to need more equipment.

Anyway, was sprouting some wheat grains and it went wrong, and afte a few days, noticed it smeling yeasty. Tried mashing it up into a dough and baking. Was ok, but fairly unimpressive. Mixed a bit with normal flour and water, and it made perfect bread. I have harvested yeast from the air, or it was already resident in the wheat grains when I bought them. I feel like I have reached some kind of ultimate stage in self survival skills. Quite looking forward to the collapse of society now, so I can show off my new skills a bit.

There is something intensely satisfying about working with yeast on its own slow timetable. I make bread and beer and enjoy doing both far more than cooking.

I think you accidentally brewed your own sourdough starter! LINK

I have tried making sourdough before and just ended up with mould, which made me wonder if it is the wheat grains themselves that carry the yeast (and get removed in the processing to flour) My bread was also well aereated, just like proper bread, whereas I imagine sourdough making somewhat heavy bread.

I might give it a try like in your link, as I didn't try it with the daily topping up.

whereas I imagine sourdough making somewhat heavy bread.

No, the opposite. Sourdough typically has loads of bubbles in it.

I have tried making sourdough before and just ended up with mould, which made me wonder if it is the wheat grains themselves that carry the yeast (and get removed in the processing to flour) My bread was also well aereated, just like proper bread, whereas I imagine sourdough making somewhat heavy bread.

I might give it a try like in your link, as I didn't try it with the daily topping up.

I think the yeasts are carried on the outside of the grain, hence using organic (i.e no fungicide), wholemeal flour to start one - rye works well.

Proper sourdough has enormous bubbles.

I just recently got into making my own Kefir, the delicious fermented milk product + most powerful probiotic known to man.

A pal split his grains with me to get me started and a couple of weeks later I had enough to split again with another mate - they grow fast!

Best thing ever.

It's pronounced "kay fear" btw. not "keefer" as the damn Yanks would have it.

Balls, forgot to buy sauerkraut again.

I've got some sauerkraut in the fridge that I bought because it's meant to be really good for you, but I'm not sure what to do with it really. Does it have to be cooked or can it be eaten as it is, with a salad maybe?

How to make miso paste:

And how to make the rice koji starter that goes into it:

The secret is yeast.

These fermented foreign foodstuffs are all well and good fellas - but can any of you bake a decent stottie-cake...?

One thing's for sure is that Greggs certainly friggin' can't...

XYY

I've got some sauerkraut in the fridge that I bought because it's meant to be really good for you, but I'm not sure what to do with it really. Does it have to be cooked or can it be eaten as it is, with a salad maybe?

Yeah. The Germans eat it like we'd have mashed potato, a pile of it on the plate.

I love the stuff but it is quite high in salt so don't buy it as often as I'd like.

The Japanese also do a great line in fermented pufferfish ovaries. Apparently this is the most poisonous part of a Fugu fish, but fermentation makes it safe: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3564078/

They also produce fermented fish guts: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/11/18/20-horrifyingly-tempting-seafood-specialities-from-japan/

2013-11-17-shiokara.jpg?w=580&h=384

That kefir stuff looks interesting - any health benefits to report, TONA?!

I'm feeling very good - guts have been particularly robust since I started taking it and an intermittent sinus condition seems to have resolved.

That said, it's a very satisfying drink even without the health benefits - a sort of clean sour taste rather like plain lassi but with a slight effervescence to it.

And dead easy to make. Get some grains and have a go.

I think you accidentally brewed your own sourdough starter! LINK

Just to update, I made several successful batches with the technique of topping up the starter with a spoonfull of flour every day, but it took 5 or 6 days to get going, rather than three in the video link.

Seems to be contradictary info about sourdough, as to whether it's wild yeast, or a bacterial ferment. Also seems to be comon to top up the starter with some commercial bakers yeast, which seems to be cheating a bit, but I guess you get the aeration of east with some flavour of sourdough.

I also was got some fresh yeast, which seemed to give much better results than the dried yeasts I have used in the past.

Also started a few home winemaking experiments.

I've always been vaguely interested in bread baking, winemaking, brewing, yoghurt etc. I'd quite like to have a go at cheese one day, but it seems to need more equipment.

Anyway, was sprouting some wheat grains and it went wrong, and afte a few days, noticed it smeling yeasty. Tried mashing it up into a dough and baking. Was ok, but fairly unimpressive. Mixed a bit with normal flour and water, and it made perfect bread. I have harvested yeast from the air, or it was already resident in the wheat grains when I bought them. I feel like I have reached some kind of ultimate stage in self survival skills. Quite looking forward to the collapse of society now, so I can show off my new skills a bit.

So, how are you enjoying ergotism?

So, how are you enjoying ergotism?

It made me stronger! I am gradually building up resistance to my homebrewed poisons like the hero in the princess bride, then I plan to invite you all round for a big wine tasting party mwhahaha etc.