House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

Supermarket Workers Fury

Anecdotal - word of mouth about a Major supermarket (whom I shall not name for legal reasons)

Workers who agreed to work overtime at Christmas - were not paid the extra hours in their january pay packet - they were quite upset to hear. (I assume its double pay or 1.5x pay)

Instead they were told it will NOT be paid, but instead can have it as time in lieu.... Er i would be majorly upset - I need the money for the cc bills-, not time off sitting at home!

Heard already about 20 members have quit possibly over this and other compounding reasons.

Edited by trev

Anecdotal - word of mouth about a Major supermarket (whom I shall not name for legal reasons)

Workers who agreed to work overtime at Christmas - were not paid the extra hours in their january pay packet - they were quite upset to hear. (I assume its double pay or 1.5x pay)

Instead they were told it will NOT be paid, but instead can have it as time in lieu.... Er i would be majorly upset - I need the money for the cc bills-, not time off sitting at home!

Heard already about 20 members have quit possibly over this and other compounding reasons.

Well that will save the supermarket paying them off! They know it is going to get tough. Tesco were complaining the other day about their rising costs. The only cost these big boys can control is labour. Bye Bye jobs, hello unemployment, reducing the market size, increasing unemployment, reducing.... The vicious circle is here. The economy is heading in the recession.

15 Feb is when the next quarterly unemployment figures come out. I bet they are the highest increase for years.

How long would a large supermarket chain

last if all its workers decided to walk out?

Most stuff is delivered just in time, and ffresh foods would

need to be binned after a week or so.

I hope they get organised and fight back.

ABB

Edited by AgeingBabyBoomer

The unions would be needed to create real chaos and they lost out when mortgages for all came about - cos people don't like the idea of not being able to pay the mortgage so they'll put up with allsorts of bad employment.

Guest magnoliawalls

Well that will save the supermarket paying them off! They know it is going to get tough. Tesco were complaining the other day about their rising costs. The only cost these big boys can control is labour. Bye Bye jobs, hello unemployment, reducing the market size, increasing unemployment, reducing.... The vicious circle is here. The economy is heading in the recession.

15 Feb is when the next quarterly unemployment figures come out. I bet they are the highest increase for years.

Not good for morale though.

I went to my local supermarket this evening and was puzzled to find that every carton of eggs I opened contained at least one broken one.

I lazily opened about 15 cartons, of different sizes and brands.

Resentful employees can have their own revenge :P

Not good for morale though.

I went to my local supermarket this evening and was puzzled to find that every carton of eggs I opened contained at least one broken one.

I lazily opened about 15 cartons, of different sizes and brands.

Resentful employees can have their own revenge :P

Why didn't you mix and match?

Oh, and what supermarket are you on about Trev? Or what legal limitations are you on about?

Edited by Jason

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Instead they were told it will NOT be paid, but instead can have it as time in lieu.....

Sounds like the Supermarket my lad works for. Evidently each store is only allowed so many basic hours and refuse to pay any hours over their set limit and overtime is a word not to be mentioned. One of the staff goes sick and their work does not get done, hence the empty slots when you go shopping.

Im no lawyer, but I'm surprised. The last thing I'd probably want to do is voluntarily terminate a contract between both parties when the other side "owed" me.

Better to work from the inside than from the outside.

I mean if its a major supermarket (say like tesco's) just imagine the embarrassment.. or if it was Sansibury's I could believe it (they don't seem able to stock any veg consistently.. last week the only greens you could buy when I went in were cabbages!).. hence I don't shop there much now.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
or if it was Sansibury's I could believe it (they don't seem able to stock any veg consistently.. last week the only greens you could buy when I went in were cabbages!).. hence I don't shop there much now.

The staff member who was responsible for that section was probably on holiday or off sick probably due to an allergy in handling any greens except cabbages. :D

The staff member who was responsible for that section was probably on holiday or off sick probably due to an allergy in handling any greens except cabbages. :D

:lol: Maybe.

I'd always suspected it's more due to distribution problems, which sainsburys mentioned in press releases about a year ago. On the long shelf life stuff such as tinned and frozen stuff they are fine, but over this winter try and get some sprouts and broc and you have a 50/50 chance :angry:

Badgers are an endangered species - how dare you!

:lol::lol::D

Brock... I've lost the power of remembering... was it Watership Down or (the similar series of books) Duncton Wood?

Unions won't let management get away with it. Assuming the staff are members

Some of these supermarkets dont allow unions, illegal I know but they get away with it, anyone attempts to

unionise and they find a way to get them out.

:lol: Maybe.

I'd always suspected it's more due to distribution problems, which sainsburys mentioned in press releases about a year ago. On the long shelf life stuff such as tinned and frozen stuff they are fine, but over this winter try and get some sprouts and broc and you have a 50/50 chance :angry:

I always use my local butcher/greengrocer - he always has a supply of everything we need and it is a lot fresher than the supermarkets.

He says business is getting better because people are getting fed up with supermarkets.

*wonders if Fred looks like his avatior*

Cuz if he is, he's just too sexy for the forum.

;):P:D:lol:

Edited by Karen

Its total BS. What they really mean is they are struggling to maintain their sky high profit levels.

Supermarket chains have been coining it to the point where they have enough cash to open banks.

I remember reading when Wallmart bought over ASDA, that they achieve the same profit on 100 stores in the UK as they do on 1000 stores in the USA.

Edited by geneer

Surely it is essential to have a vast underclass of proles who will do exactly what they are told, work for the minimum wage, no overtime etc. etc.

If, for example, the whole of a major supermarket's workforce unionized (funny, I always thought the web would be used for this sort of stuff) and demanded, and got, better pay - we'd all have to foot the bill via higher prices.

No, no, no. An army of part-time, desperate, up to their necks in debt, need a few extra bob to get along type people is essential for the rest of us to enjoy low inflation and cheap goods in the shops.

Remember, all you young people desperate to step on to the property ladder ....

When you put your head in the noose called debt, your employer's hand gets a firm grip on your balls

(If you are female, you need a different analogy).

Unions won't let management get away with it. Assuming the staff are members

Sorry, bud, but you need to come and live in the real world like the rest of us.

I've just finished a contract with the major supermarket in the UK. They have so far ditched several hundred of their staff - as all their jobs have been relocated to India for a fraction of the pay. This process is their long term strategy, so many, many more jobs will follow those already lost. There is nothing the uniions can do about it. Period.

Nomadd

Sorry, bud, but you need to come and live in the real world like the rest of us.

I've just finished a contract with the major supermarket in the UK. They have so far ditched several hundred of their staff - as all their jobs have been relocated to India for a fraction of the pay. This process is their long term strategy, so many, many more jobs will follow those already lost. There is nothing the uniions can do about it. Period.

Nomadd

Whilst my local dole office has more than 5% officially collecting the dole my local Morrisons seems to have hords of Poles stacking the shelves and to whom £6 p.h. appears a kings ransom.

Edited by ILikeBigBoobs

Guest X-QUORK

I stopped buying fruit and veg from supermarkets about a year ago, we now get locally grown organic stuff from a farm down the road. It saves on food miles and you know what you're getting, rather than an apple pumped full of agent orange and flown from the other side of the planet.

We still buy most of our other groceries from Tescos/Sainsburys, but I plan to source a decent local butcher soon so that'll be another small dent in the bully-boy supermarkets' pockets. Viva la revolution! ;)

Whilst my local dole office has more than 5% officially collecting the dole my local Morrisons seems to have hords of Poles stacking the shelves and to whom £6 p.h. appears a kings ransom.

£6?

£3.50 more like!