House Price Crash Forum
Trampa501

Rent Rise Forces Pub Closure In West London

It might be intentional. Put the rent up, make the pub leave, claim it's no longer viable as a pub, convert or knock it down and build flats.

That seems to be the common procedure round my way.

The same thing with my local boozer - an iconic and very well known and loved pub. Speaking with the landlord (of the pub), the landlord of the building is doing the exact same thing (I don't know the numbers) and it's also going to court.

The crazy thing is, the building is grade I listed and although a thriving pub and eatery, it will have absolutely no other use permitted other than a pub. The space above is already accommodation/flats, but the interior of the pub can't be touched nor the exterior so I guess it can only be a pub.

How the premises owner thinks he can get another tenant running the same type of business from those premises and cover the huge hike in rent baffles me - truly self-defeating behaviour

Edited by knock out johnny

£250,000 pa. That is a lot of pints of beer before you even look like being in the black.

Between rent and duty it's no wonder I rarely attend a pub these days. The parasites will eventually kill all the hosts then what?

About 10 in London, going by my last trip.

It might be intentional. Put the rent up, make the pub leave, claim it's no longer viable as a pub, convert or knock it down and build flats.

That seems to be the common procedure round my way.

Standard operating practise across the country sadly. There's almost nowhere outside of a few very high footfall areas that it makes economic sense to run a pub if the building is one that could be converted to housing, which pubs often are.

£250,000 pa. That is a lot of pints of beer before you even look like being in the black.

Between rent and duty it's no wonder I rarely attend a pub these days. The parasites will eventually kill all the hosts then what?

With all the hassle of running a pub in london you would hope to be turning over 2 million + to be able to pay 250,000 and have some money left for the hassle of actually doing all the work/risk. I would imagine there is a lot of competition there also and no new tenant is guaranteed to succeed at those levels.

Looking at the description on the website they have circa 100 covers so would be surprised if they did over a million net which sounds about fair with the £75,000 rent they work hard and make a decent living.

Without seeing the particulars this may be a case of bottom of pub = a good business worth less than the top floors which can be turned into flats and sold.

I get sent details of lovely pubs in central london with no accommodation can you imagine being a landlord of a pub in a city and having to commute?

Edited by Fromage Frais

With all the hassle of running a pub in london you would hope to be turning over 2 million + to be able to pay 250,000 and have some money left for the hassle of actually doing all the work/risk. I would imagine there is a lot of competition there also and no new tenant is guaranteed to succeed at those levels.

Looking at the description on the website they have circa 100 covers so would be surprised if they did over a million net which sounds about fair with the £75,000 rent they work hard and make a decent living.

Without seeing the particulars this may be a case of bottom of pub = a good business worth less than the top floors which can be turned into flats and sold.

I get sent details of lovely pubs in central london with no accommodation can you imagine being a landlord of a pub in a city and having to commute?

"Our beautiful five-storey pub in Maida Vale"

There you go.

And some examples of flats nearby.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43184487.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40362165.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42777648.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57119849.html

Will probably get circa 3/4 x 500,000 + sell off the pub down the bottom as a cafe

ironically a lot of the local agents have this pub as a "unique" feature of living in this area in their area guides.

I guess that street will be just another bland one and the business owners made something nice out what seems a pretty bland building opposite some ugly flats.

Shame

Edited by Fromage Frais

Was just thinking that. Totally insane.

I don't know about London but change of use from a pub to domestic isn't easy to get approved by the planners round this way. A local pub went to appeal and only got it approved after the landlord made every effort to get a tenant in; the site just wasn't suitable for a pub. No car park no garden tiny kitchen and was derelict.

This one in London won't be easy to do...

Edited by spunko2010

"Our beautiful five-storey pub in Maida Vale"

There you go.

And some examples of flats nearby.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43184487.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40362165.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42777648.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57119849.html

Will probably get circa 3/4 x 500,000 + sell off the pub down the bottom as a cafe

ironically a lot of the local agents have this pub as a "unique" feature of living in this area in their area guides.

I guess that street will be just another bland one and the business owners made something nice out what seems a pretty bland building opposite some ugly flats.

Shame

On a plus note, they did manage to save Crocker's Folly (I remember it on rightmove at the height of the recession to convert to flats - no takers)

Maybe itll be converted into a Mosque.

Theres a lot unemployed Muslims living in 2k/month flats who need spiritual sustanance.

Maybe itll be converted into a Mosque.

Theres a lot unemployed Muslims living in 2k/month flats who need spiritual sustanance.

Funny you say this - I hate seeing former pubs in Lonon (mainly but not exclusively the east end) that have been converted into convenience stores/corner shops, but the demographic in those parts has changed beyond all recognition

Funny you say this - I hate seeing former pubs in Lonon (mainly but not exclusively the east end) that have been converted into convenience stores/corner shops, but the demographic in those parts has changed beyond all recognition

Try NW or Bradford.

I thought £75K was a lot, profit on a pint of shandy can't be much more than £1.50 divide that £205GBP a days rent = 136 pints of shandy per day just to pay the rent.

Thing is the owner would be mad not to cash in on a lottery winning sum on offer from whatever developers are going to turn it into flats.

Thought you were for unlimited immigration, what you describe is the outcome.

Edited by Crumbless

You're a Bremainer

I think brexit is a bad idea

how many pubs have been shut in the east end of London because the demographic has changed due to french and germans coming to London?

where did I say I favoured unlimited immigration

please show me the post

thanks