House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Usb Issue With Used Mobo.

I've just taken a chance on used motherboard CPU bundle. All seemed okay but the front panel USB didn't work. Initially I thought it might be the case,which is new.However, I've now tried a front panel from another PC and nothing. In the device manager all the USB entries are fine. Bios is up to date and USB is enabled. I'm fairly certain it's the board but I am missing something ? I booted the PC in Linux to rule out a windows issue. Thanks in advance.

The board is a FM2A55M-DGS running w7 64. The USB's on the back of the board are all fine.

Probably fecked They break easily. Amazing how many new boards come with one or more dead USB ports.

Assuming you have tried all the OS options then you can consider replacing it if you are handy with a soldering iron. 6 minutes in.

Probably fecked They break easily. Amazing how many new boards come with one or more dead USB ports.

Assuming you have tried all the OS options then you can consider replacing it if you are handy with a soldering iron. 6 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/mXsw03qkKLg

Thanks,do I have to grow a little beard thing though ? It's not clear why and I've searched,but the board has a usb 3 section which is ghosted. I assumed it's for another model. Not sure if it can be added ?

The repair listed is somewhat different to desktop usb. Mine are pins,not a plug. Odd that all three banks would fail ?

Maybe you are missing the USB3 drivers?

It only runs usb2. Probably a dumb thought,but when I tried the known to be working front panel from another PC,I only plugged the usb plug onto the board and not the HD audio plug. I assume that these are separately powered and not dual powering the panel ?

That motherboard has 5 front panel usb connectors that I can see - one 9 pin open connector (the "default" one next to the audio connector, which probably doesnt need a bespoke driver), three additional 9-pin open connectors and one 19 pin socket usb3 connector, all left hand edge mid way up to top, have you tried all of them ?.

They will probably all other than the default one next to the audio connector, required a motherboard/shipset specific driver. A panel connector for the usb3 port looks like this BTW. Its highly unlikely that the default, additional and usb3 connections are all faulty as they (generally) have different driver chips/circuits.

Looking at the driver download page I imagine you need to all-in-one chipset driver to activate all the USB ports.

EDIT: you say the USB3 is ghosted on your version - does it also not have the three additional 9 pins connectors ?. If all else fails you could use a separate PCI card like this or this (5 1/4 bay version)

That motherboard has 5 front panel usb connectors that I can see - one 9 pin open connector (the "default" one next to the audio connector, which probably doesnt need a bespoke driver), three additional 9-pin open connectors and one 19 pin socket usb3 connector, all left hand edge mid way up to top, have you tried all of them ?.

They will probably all other than the default one next to the audio connector, required a motherboard/shipset specific driver. A panel connector for the usb3 port looks like this BTW. Its highly unlikely that the default, additional and usb3 connections are all faulty as they (generally) have different driver chips/circuits.

Looking at the driver download page I imagine you need to all-in-one chipset driver to activate all the USB ports.

EDIT: you say the USB3 is ghosted on your version - does it also not have the three additional 9 pins connectors ?. If all else fails you could use a separate PCI card like this or this (5 1/4 bay version)

I think I tried all three plugs but possibly not with the known to be working front panel. So it could possibly be that the front panel on the new case is faulty or a plug isn't secure. It's hard to see without taking the whole thing apart. I'll try again with the working panel. The USB3 on the board is just a few flat electrical joints that is waiting for something to be soldered onto it. I've installed the all in one drivers - didn't appear to make any difference unfortunately. I'll probably end up with the pci card that you've linked. Thanks for your advice.

None of that makes much sense tbh. Thanks though.

Think of it this way: your computer requests data stored on a disk at your ISP. But your computer doesn't talk directly to the hard disk, it talks via a computer attached to the disk. We all know that viruses can be used to subvert either of the computers in this scenario. Similarly, your computer doesn't talk directly to the storage attached to a USB port, it talks via microcontrollers at either end of the link. Similarly, both of these microcontrollers can be subverted by altering the firmware resident on them. Normally you'd expect that firmware to present a plugged in storage device as a drive to the operating system. But changing the firmware can change all that. It could for instance, present itself as a keyboard and thus deliver character data to standard-in, effectively typing commands, invoking scripts or dormant viral code etc. Or it could behave as a router etc. And you wouldn't know much about it ... other than it not behaving as attached storage ...

I've just reread your post. Unless I'm missing something obvious the board has 3 and not 5 USB 2.0 headers. The header next to the HD audio header is the Com Port Header. Thanks again.

7a26ddc4e0.jpg7a368602a5.jpg

Think of it this way: your computer requests data stored on a disk at your ISP. But your computer doesn't talk directly to the hard disk, it talks via a computer attached to the disk. We all know that viruses can be used to subvert either of the computers in this scenario. Similarly, your computer doesn't talk directly to the storage attached to a USB port, it talks via microcontrollers at either end of the link. Similarly, both of these microcontrollers can be subverted by altering the firmware resident on them. Normally you'd expect that firmware to present a plugged in storage device as a drive to the operating system. But changing the firmware can change all that. It could for instance, present itself as a keyboard and thus deliver character data to standard-in, effectively typing commands, invoking scripts or dormant viral code etc. Or it could behave as a router etc. And you wouldn't know much about it ... other than it not behaving as attached storage ...

Thanks for the explanation. However,the header doesn't appear to be receiving power,so I don't know if what your suggesting (and I'm still unclear of what it is due to ignorance) is relevant ?